Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Essay: Stalin - cult of personality.. help?

Options
  • 24-12-2008 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

The actual question is : Was Stalin successful in using the Cult of Personality as an instrument of propaganda?

Really need help with this one, not enough of information is even given in the books to write much about the cult of personality, though people in my class and the teacher seemed to think this was a really nice question... :o

If someone could explain how to go about this and basically give me a point for each paragraph that would be super handy, cos at the mo, i can only see myself writing 2 or so paragraphs about this yoke :D

Any help appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

intro just give details of stalins early life,address the question

par 2-stalin youth and education how he changed history books exaggerating is role in 1917 revolution and that,over 400 statues of him left today..think of how many there were back then.

Par 3 and 4-purging people and show trials cult of personality showing that he only was right everyone else was guilty of crimes against the state.Go into good detail bout the trials but they dont like seeing more then 2 paragraphs on the actual case study

par5 establishing a totalitarian state where there was only one leader him.Forming the SA and the SS who went against stailin...cult of personality right there.Brainwashing people into thinking stalin was great!

par 6 and 7 five year plans.He reckoned russia was 50 years behind rest of the developed world in terms of weapons electricity and stuff so aimed to do it all in 10 years.Also economy!cult of personality here because propaganda in the form of speechs and posters showed he and communism was the only way forward

conclusion summarise and give something extra like a few historians quotes on stalin and his ruthless murdering regime!estimated 60000 people were killed deported and starved to death!

all facts and figures should be in ur book!just keep refering to cult of personality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

Tis Christmas Eve.....Put the books away:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

thanks alot eoin, seriously i love when people can clearly explain things :D

Harpie, thats no excuse for me :D i have to make up for things I didn't do before the holidays :P, also im repeating the leaving so im not gonna let myself make a mess of things like last year :P

but thanks for the concern :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

It would seem to me that approach should be that despite what challenges faced stalins russia, and stalins approach to these challenges was mostly helped by the fact that he had this Cult of personality.

I would point out that despite the purges (which were mostly to the party and army rank and file) he had created a situation where he was adored by the common peasantry and worker.

From a very young age Russian children were indoctrinated to love the Party and its leader firstly as octoberists and in later years pioneers. To them Stalin brought Russia through his 5 year plans from peasant backwater to Nuclear superpower.

Every success was drilled into the Russian populace. Whilst every failure, e.g. the famine of Ukraine where millions died during the 30's was surpressed. Or blamed on anti party factions

Even his approach to the war had flipped flopped quite a bit, from a stance of anti-fascism, to the Nazi-Soviet non agression pact. When fighting the war he appealed to Russians patriotic nature and despite horrific losses and incompetence within the Russian Army (not helped by the NKVD secret police interference) managed to eventually repel the Germans and win the war. Even here he changed froma stance of patriotism and fanatic anti German line to one of anti fascist when he realised that they would need to bring on board German communists if he were to win the war.

Throughout all this, Stalins propaganda machine urged the masses along, it created phoney feast days to please the workers (i.e. trainworkers day, School teachers day) Whilst Beria's NKVD made sure everyone was kept in line.

Undesirable elements were eliminated, and many people suffered under Stalin, especially Ethnic minorities such as Russian poles, Tartars from the Crimea etc. But to the general populace at the time he was portrayed as an Icon, and in Russia that is tantamount to being a God. and god help you if you were to disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

DAEDULUS, in your intro or first paragraph mention how Stalin used Lenin's COP to gain popularity for himself- he used slogans such as 'Stalin is the new Lenin of today', and made it seem like he and Lenin were bffs (when Lenin had actually hated him).

Good luck with the essay, and the whole studying over the holidays thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Your repeating what is wrong with you lets see :

- you have been studying history the last 12 years ^primary school^
    even if you did not you did history in 5th year
    6th & repeating

- why are you asking the people on this page they wont be with you
    in the Exam..

- I hope your not attemping higher level if so you should spent your time
    studying instead of asking other people

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    6th & repeating
    I learnt more about Hitler and Stalin after I left school, then when I was in it.

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Your repeating what is wrong with you lets see :

6th & repeating

- why are you asking the people on this page they wont be with you
    in the Exam..

- I hope your not attemping higher level if so you should spent your time
    studying instead of asking other people

lol thanks man ;)
    Well I think it goes without say that I wont be taking your advice..
    or am I affected by your retarded post.
    I am doing higher level and so far my results have generally been excellent, I'm not being arrogant, I put alot of fúcking work into my leaving cert this year.
    Yes, I am repeating because I didn't give a toss last year and didn't bother my arse even going to some of my exams.. but that's last year and luckily for me I have the ability to learn from my mistakes :)

If we didn't seek some form of help when we had a problem understanding something, then THROUGH THE POWERFUL USE OF LOGICAL DEDUCTION, we can come to the conclusion that... we probably wont be able to answer a question on it.
    If there was no need to ask people for help, then why have a teacher?
    Why not just buy the books yourself and learn the whole ****ing course in your own time, instead of waking up every morning for school etc... but you probably didn't think about it this way when you were saying it did you? :)

i was gonna go on but cba..

oh and thanks again for those that helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just out of interest what history topics are you doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

the_syco wrote: »
    I learnt more about Hitler and Stalin after I left school, then when I was in it.

Actually couldn't agree more. You learn more outside of school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I saw this article and thought it might be useful to you to gain an extra insight to the Cult of Stalin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7798497.stm

Advertisement