Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon 9600 giving shuddering effect

Options
  • 24-12-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have a Pentium 4, 2.8Ghz HP machine and have installed a Radeon 9600 256MB AGP card into it. The problem is that it seems to be giving a shuddering effect on the screen which is really irritating and is constant. I suspect it could be one of a number of things and am hoping someone here might point me in the right direction.
    Is it:
    - the fact that I have connected my screen to the VGA connection and not the DVI?
    - that the graphics driver is crap and needs updating (I got the latest from ati.com)?
    - that the GFX card is faulty?

I also hear the fan of the PSU kick in noisely when I am running a few (light) applications and wonder if it is even up to the task. It is a 240w PSU, but I have only added one IDE drive and the GFX card to the standard system.

At the moment I have it connected to a 32" LCD TV, but it will be used with a 22" LCD screen in the future. It's not a RAM issue as there are 2.5 gigs already installed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Shuddering in horizontal lines? Like a flicker you might see on an old TV?

I would lay blame on the VGA port. Its a known issue with LCDs and VGA. Its an LCD right?

Either way if the monitor doesnt accept DVI go ahead and connect the DVI cable to it from the DVI-port on the radeon and put a DVI-VGA converter on the monitor - one should have shipped with the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bigtom71

Thanks Overheal. I am only getting back to civilisation now after the madness of Christmas. The shuddering effect seems to get worse the longer I have the PC turned on. Perhaps it is a virtual memory problem or something similar. Bizarrely, it seems to be running at 400MBs in virtual memory with just Windows XP running. I have never seen that before.

Anyway, the DVI connection didn't like my TV screen (with the converter), so I will try it with an ordinary screen and see how that goes. Hopefully it will do the job.

Advertisement