Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband

• 24-12-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Anybody got any recommendations regarding the best packages/companies for getting good quality wireless broadband in Castlebar?
    Ta,
    Selig:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Westnet if You're looking for REAL broadband

....................or else try the Midband Forum if its something mobile You're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ta PogMoThoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Westnet is the man for the job. Mobile works well too, but I'd certainly say that if you can get Westnet, get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Don't go with vodaphone 3g card anyho, the coverage changes from my kitchen to my sitting room, but it's always ****e :-)

detoxkid wrote: »
    Don't go with vodaphone 3g card anyho, the coverage changes from my kitchen to my sitting room, but it's always ****e :-)

That depends completely on your location. You either get it really good or you don't. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I know people with the same thing all over Castlebar! The only reason I would ever use it is cause I get it free with work! Steer clear if you value your sanity :)

detoxkid wrote: »
    I know people with the same thing all over Castlebar! The only reason I would ever use it is cause I get it free with work! Steer clear if you value your sanity :)

If you're talking about mobile broadband, I wouldn't say to steer clear of it, but rather that if you can get something else first (like westnet or eircom), get that. Otherwise mobile broadband is a viable option, but as i've said already, it depends completely on your location.

But to be honest, Westnet is expanding so rapidly that it's outdoing Eircom with penetration at the moment and when it comes to quality is beginning to surpass Eircom. Mobile broadband works fine as a last resort, but for Minister Eamon Ryan to actually award (three) HSDPA (mobile broadband) as a contract for standard broadband is ludicrous. But there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I am currently with BT and I am using an archaic dial up connection for accessing the internet.I was looking at their broadband packages and I was quite happy to opt for option 1 broadband alone.Is it a big issue not been able to call people off the landline @ the same time.I have a mobile phone and do not think it it is a particularly big issue.Alternatively I was contemplating the option 1 broadband and talk.It has a download speed up to 1Mb,usage allowance of 10Gb,offers a free wireless modem.However they were inclined to tell me that this is not sufficiently high download speed for playing videos,downloading the same and music without it having to load up as I go along.They were recommending option 2 broadband and talk with up to 6Mb download speed,I can only presume this is available in Castlebar as he asked me what my landline number was.However I know somebody else who is able to play/download youtube clips and songs at this speed.What is your opinion?My use is primarily recreational,i.e. not business and I do not want to paying any extra if I do not need to.

http://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml

From what I see there; You can still make calls whilst using the broadband package. Just that you're not getting the 'cheaper' calls as part of a bundle. You can still make the calls whilst connected to broadband, just that you're paying the normal rate per minute.

Btw, as a recreational user, 1mb should be okay.
    But then again, the more mb's you have, the better.

Advertisement