Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E39/5 Series - what oil and where can I get cheap?

Options
  • 24-12-2008 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need some oil for my BMW, E39 model, 2 litre petrol. I have heard people using 5w30/5w40/10w30/10w40, but seriously what is recognized as the most suitable.

Also, what suggestions can you recommend on buying this oil at as cheap as possible, in a bricks and mortar store in the Greater Dublin Area.

Thanks

CK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Hi all,

I need some oil for my BMW, E39 model, 2 litre petrol. I have heard people using 5w30/5w40/10w30/10w40, but seriously what is recognized as the most suitable.

Also, what suggestions can you recommend on buying this oil at as cheap as possible, in a bricks and mortar store in the Greater Dublin Area.

Thanks

CK

Check the user manual it will tell you in there, by all means shop around for the cheapest correct Oil, just make sure you don't put 'cheap' oil into it or it will cost you a lot more than the few euro you save on oil.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I tend to use Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40 for my 523i. I do my own oil changes and get it online from www.opieoils.co.uk but obviously if you just need a top up then go for a similar spec brand name oil.
    Do not buy cheap oil. You have a €50,000 car there (even if it has depreciated) - they are not designed to run on cheap oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Castrol Edge, the one in the gold coloured container. BMW LL-01 equivalent.0W-30. It's a fully synthetic oil.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829

€68 for 4 litres in Hlafords :eek:, you will definitely get it cheaper elsewhere (online?). Remember you will need over 6 litres for your car. It needs 6.5L but there is always some left in the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Got 2 litres of 5w-40 fully synthetic in Tesco the other day for about €12; will do for topping up till next change. Halfrauds wanted 18 quid for a lt of their own brand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Wertz wrote: »
    Got 2 litres of 5w-40 fully synthetic in Tesco the other day for about €12; will do for topping up till next change. Halfrauds wanted 18 quid for a lt of their own brand...

What brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tesco!

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mick.fr wrote: »
    What brand?
    For €12 I presume that it wasn't a recognisable brand! I certainly wouldn't put it in my engine!

I got 5 litres of Full Synthetic in Lidl for €3.99 per litre a while ago. Full VW/Audi, Porsche certification plus others.

edit: Maybe it was €4.99 per litre!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Castrol Edge, the one in the gold coloured container. BMW LL-01 equivalent.0W-30. It's a fully synthetic oil.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829

€68 for 4 litres in Hlafords :eek:, you will definitely get it cheaper elsewhere (online?). Remember you will need over 6 litres for your car. It needs 6.5L but there is always some left in the engine.

I remember pricing Mobil 1 0w40 in Halfords and it was €72 for 4 litres. I found it hard to find it cheaper anywhere else online after factoring in shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

kbannon wrote: »
    For €12 I presume that it wasn't a recognisable brand! I certainly wouldn't put it in my engine!

I would - as long as it has the API spec printed on the side of the can!

• Advertisement

I would - as long as it has the API spec printed on the side of the can!

Tesco brand as pointed out.

Tech info: Meets or exceeds requirements of the following specs-SAE 5w/40:API SM/CF ACEA A3, B3, C3. Produced in the UK under license for Tesco stores Ltd
    According to my owner's manual this is what is specced for my car. I don't see why it needs to come in a branded container supported by heavy advertising campaigns in order for it to be "good enough".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Wertz wrote: »
    Tesco brand as pointed out.

Tech info: Meets or exceeds requirements of the following specs-SAE 5w/40:API SM/CF ACEA A3, B3, C3. Produced in the UK under license for Tesco stores Ltd
    According to my owner's manual this is what is specced for my car. I don't see why it needs to come in a branded container supported by heavy advertising campaigns in order for it to be "good enough".

Let's be serious for a sec, Tesco or Lidl or whatever other brand like that uses very cheap materials, ok the other main brands are probably taking a large amount of margin and are ripping us off, but still the quality is far to be the same nontheless.

If you do so, I would recommend you to change more regularly. All depends of your driving condition, frequency etc.

Like I said it's for top ups between changes (one due fairly shortly)...car does a lot of short runs from cold starts.
    I'm not going to pretend to know more than any of the more knowledgable folk on this forum WRT engines, but my take on Tesco, Aldi/Lidl etc is that they source the oil from the same production plants and/or refineries as the brand names do...leaving aside market cynicism, why would any of these multiples run a plant to produce their own product when they can buy surplus stock from the same places the brand names do (or perhaps from the brand themselves) and sell at a discount using their own business model? This is how they run the rest of their own-brand operations.
    If the product has to meet the same regulatory requirements as branded products in order for it to be classed and sold then the difference surely can't be that pronounced.
    It remains to be seen as to whether it's a false economy on my part.

BTW people who get their oil changed by a garage/dealership: how likely is it that branded product has been used in the refill?

Just nipped to the garage to get the name and specifications of the Lidl synthetic oil. While it may not be as high in quality as the most expensive oils, I'm quite happy with the specs.

Motor Gold Supertec Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40 Made in Germany
    ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SL/CF
    BMW Longlife-98, MB 229.3, Opel GM-LL-B-025, Porsche, VW-Norm 502 00, 505 00

Some good links I posted before on engine oil: Car Mechanics and Car Bibles.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Cereal Killer

Thanks for all the info guys....

maybe What i meant in the OP was that I was looking for good qualtiy but affordable. i'm not a cheap skate, but know how much most stores charge for products, and the markups they apply.

I'm curious, are Lidl still selling the oil, and if so what are you putting it into. Are someof you driving BMW's and putting in Aldi/Yellow pack brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

For me the money saved in the oil change is by doing it yourself, that way you KNOW what oil is in your engine. So a saving on labour rates means that you should buy the best oil for your engine.

I have Mobil Super S part synth 10w40 got in Halfords for €30 for 5 litres.

Lidl don't have oil in regular stock - just every so often. Keep an eye on www.lidl.ie Specials.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement