Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishes for 2009 ?

Options
  • 24-12-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

First off lads, have a great Christmas and New Year. Been some craic and arguments on here, some great posts ( me ), some awful ( rovert ) :p but all good stuff.
    It's a great forum for intelligent discussion and I wish you all well.

Anyways, what are your hopes for 2008, either for the sport or personal training?

Mine are that -

1. Lesnar is destroyed in his first defence, hopefully by Mir, but tbh by anyone. I just don't like him.
    2. GSP beats Penn.
    3. The UFC in Dublin is a roaring success and ensures a speedy return to Ireland.
    4. To get the motivation to get up and go training consistently and stop using the kids / work as an excuse!

Have a good one fellas!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

GSP wont beat Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Killme00 wrote: »
    GSP wont beat Penn

OOhhhhhhhhhh yes he will.

Tis the season and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Frank Mir will SUBMIT Nogueira to win back his belt. You heard it here first.

em....yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

seeing as theres free wishes being given out I 2nd lesner getting destroyed now if ufc would only sign bobby lashley for that purpose :P

I've said it before but id love to see Anderson Silva truly tested as champ in an epic 5 rounder ............ i can dream :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

as much as i want nog to be the one to put lesnar in his place, could you imagine mir have his head caved in again only to catch another heel hook? i think i'd rather see nog beat lesnar well than mir catch him like that again. hope to see more jiujitsu coming through at all levels. started doing it myself this year [before i injured myself, don't ask] have to say when you've done even a small bit of it it brings 2 things. first is an appreciation of what's going on, the second is a frustration when people are in good positions & don't finish. wouldn't mind seeing randy in a few more fights but has father time finally caught up on him? i think one thing i would be interested in seeing after hearing snippets [mainly from bravo] & seeing some of the vids online would be to see joe rogan complete in a mma event. more a curiousity than anything. BUT above all else an improvement in the refereeing, ain't been OTT bad but there's been some strange one through the year.

[takes breath] whew rant over. lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Brock Lesnar to become the most dominant UFC champion ever :pac:

Satoshi Ishii to sign with DREAM and become a top fighter, turning around the state of MMA in Japan

Lyoto Machida to win the light-heavyweight title

UFC to sign Yoshihiro Akiyama and for him to have the biggest and best entrance ever seen in the company

A promotion to be started up that has some business sense that could rival the UFC on some level

Fedor to ditch his management team
    i think one thing i would be interested in seeing after hearing snippets [mainly from bravo] & seeing some of the vids online would be to see joe rogan complete in a mma event. more a curiousity than anything.

As strange as it might sound now, the UFC were legitimately trying to put together Rogan vs Wesley Snipes a few years ago

while it may have been interesting i'm glad they didn't as it would've stunk of WCW bringing in david arquette. probably wouldn't have stunk as bad but when your trying to get the sport as mainstream as possible things like that aren't needed. but i think rogan going from commentry to cage might encourage a lot of people to take up some form of mma as a past time or possibly more serious interest. what i wouldn't give to see the scrapping of TUF as i hate the 'reality' aspect of it where it just shows people assing about. that said it has brought through some very good fighters. so a mixed bag i suppose. i'd also like to see some unusual submissions in the UFC, well more unusual compared to the few usual suspects such as RNC, kimura, armbar & guillotine.
    on a side note, i used to be one of these hot heads who'd get worked up over 'pro' wrestling but the more i get into ufc the more i tend to analyse what's happening & post more sensible posts. that said i still get worked up when i'm watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Chris89 wrote: »
    em....yeah.

Ok, if you are SO confident, are you willing to give me odds on a 100 euro bet for Mir to either 1 ) win by submission and 2 ) win.

If you gimme odds on both, I will certainly have an investment with you ( if they are generous to an mma punter ;) )

Ok, if you are SO confident, are you willing to give me odds on a 100 euro bet for Mir to either 1 ) win by submission and 2 ) win.

If you gimme odds on both, I will certainly have an investment with you ( if they are generous to an mma punter ;) )

i see, another fella who will not back up his opinions with hard cash. :rolleyes:

i see, another fella who will not back up his opinions with hard cash. :rolleyes:

Did you put any bets on the fight? Paddy Power had decent odds I think

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    Did you put any bets on the fight? Paddy Power had decent odds I think

I'm taking 50/50 , phone a friend and ask the audience on this I really cant call this one :P

Mir is 12-5 on there now though and wow they are the best odds there now, silva and rampage are both 5-6

have to say as annoying as mir can be i do like watching him. BUT i can't see him beating NOG! then again i was hoping for randy to beat brock so...... who knows, end of the day sit back & enjoy!

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm taking 50/50 , phone a friend and ask the audience on this I really cant call this one :P

Mir is 12-5 on there now though and wow they are the best odds there now, silva and rampage are both 5-6

Did a treble on Forrest, Wanderlei and Mir.

Anyone else made an investment on tonight's action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Just an emotional investment

WAR

Had the user name for 3 years and it's been proven tonight.

Frank Mir is the man. Fantastic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Had the user name for 3 years and it's been proven tonight.

Frank Mir is the man. Fantastic performance.

Not quite, he hasn't quite won his belt back, watch "fake wrestler" Brock Lesnar learn from his mistakes and knock his block off in the future!

You heard it here first ;)

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Not quite, he hasn't quite won his belt back, watch "fake wrestler" Brock Lesnar learn from his mistakes and knock his block off in the future!

You heard it here first ;)

C'mon mate, let's not start the writing off already. Heard it all before, before Sylvia, Brock and Nogueira.

You got to give the man respect, he was told he'd never walk again 4 years ago ffs.

He has his hands full with Lesnar, but all I really Lesnar having is size and speed, not much technique.

I'd imagine this will be an April / May fight, better start saving!:eek:

C'mon mate, let's not start the writing off already. Heard it all before, before Sylvia, Brock and Nogueira.

Just putting you in your place. If it's one thing i can't stand it's a smug fanboy, with all due respect.
    You got to give the man respect, he was told he'd never walk again 4 years ago ffs.

I give the guy all the respect in the world for that. Just like i do for anyone that survives a major accident/wreckage, regardless of their profession. But that's not the point.
    He has his hands full with Lesnar, but all I really Lesnar having is size and speed, not much technique.

Tell it like it is, Brock Lesnar defeated Randy Couture for a title, Frank Mir beat Tim Sylvia, there's a world of difference there regarding skill. Mir walked away scraping a victory on Brock earlier this year, and much as i didn't like Brock when he started in UFC (bear in mind i'm both an MMA and Pro Wrestling fan), i'll give him his due, he's learning, and rapidly. I really don't think Mir stands a chance against a more experienced Brock come next year.
    I'd imagine this will be an April / May fight, better start saving!:eek:

I cant see them putting it on any longer, this has money written all over it.

I cant see them putting it on any longer, this has money written all over it.
    They'll want the fight as soon as possible, Brock's their biggest draw and they'll want him fighting three times in 2009

There were some interesting statistics in the Wrestling Observer this week. The UFC beat their gross PPV revenues this year compared to the last two years. Without Brock this would have been their worst of the three years

Tell it like it is, Brock Lesnar defeated Randy Couture for a title, Frank Mir beat Tim Sylvia, there's a world of difference there regarding skill.

MMA Maths is a dangerous formula. Randy lost to Chuck, who lost to Rashad etc, etc.

All of a sudden Nogueira is " done " once Mir beats him, yet would you not argue that Randy is a done force - rembember Nogueira is 32, Randy is 45.

Anyways, you can only beat what's in front of you. For what it's worth, I think Lesnar will be a heavy heavy favourite going into this, but subs can catch out anyone and Frank Mir has shown he has excellent skills in that area - if he tries to stand and trade with Lesnar, albeit with hugely improved striking, he's crazy.

And who next for Rashad?:confused:

• Advertisement

All of a sudden Nogueira is " done " once Mir beats him, yet would you not argue that Randy is a done force - rembember Nogueira is 32, Randy is 45.

Who said Nogueira was done? I didn't. I simply said that Mir shocked a lot of people with his win, he did. Many would have argued that Randy is a done force, but he's in better shape than half the guys on the UFC roster. Is Randy a done force? Not in my opinion, Chuck Liddell maybe, but not Randy Couture. I don't see age being a factor at all, especially by using my current examples.
    Anyways, you can only beat what's in front of you. For what it's worth, I think Lesnar will be a heavy heavy favourite going into this, but subs can catch out anyone and Frank Mir has shown he has excellent skills in that area - if he tries to stand and trade with Lesnar, albeit with hugely improved striking, he's crazy.

This i will agree with, Mir got a win over Lesnar earlier in the year due to Lesnar's inexperience. Mir will not have the same experience (or in this case, lack of experience on Brock's part) advantage over Lesnar in their next fight.

And who next for Rashad?:confused:[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

1. Mir to destroy Lesnar and then Kongo to destroy Mir

2. Wanderlei Silva to come back

3. Kenny Florian to get a title shot and win,then face Lauzon/Guida/Huerta

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cro-Cop to get back to pulling the trigger and taking heads off again. I dont care if it takes an enema but I want the old mirko back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kongo to get a title shot and then lose just to shut him up.

Demian Maia to be on at least three UFC cards and work his way towards a title shot.

GSP to beat Penn comfortably.

Lesnar to stop getting booed for no reason.

UFC 93 to be a huge success prompting them to come back at least once every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

shucks you beat me, good job nog tapped out to that punch in the face. golly gee.

see the offer i made, if ya were so sure i wanted to see if you'd have a wager on Mir to win.

no problems.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

What is with all the Kongo loving by Wexler and chopperbyrne. He would get dismantled by Hardonk who is a far better striker. So my wish is for Hardonk to fight Kongo and destroy him.

My wish - other promotions to get more air time on here and everywhere:-)
    and for sports stations here to cover them so i dont have to go looking for them or worse forgetting about them. :eek:

Be great to see the M1 challenge shown as there where some good matches in that this year and it was a good format i thought but with a lot to improve.

UFC aint the only show in town , and it's been proven this year. Even though i hated elitexc they had some good fighters and some cracking fights.

Dream is doing very well in terms of the fights they put on and I really hope affliction get up and running this year, just hope they can deliver more than just Fedor as much as i love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What is with all the Kongo loving by Wexler and chopperbyrne. He would get dismantled by Hardonk who is a far better striker. So my wish is for Hardonk to fight Kongo and destroy him.

Where exactly was the Kongo loving in my post?

I want to see him get what he's been asking for (and admittedly, probably deserves) and then get whipped.

He's a moany prick and would get destroyed by the wrestling skills of Lesnar or the submission skills of Mir.

• Advertisement
Advertisement