Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy you about Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

I'm from Galway and have lived elsewhere in Ireland and the world.

And I've got to be honest - I'm having second thoughts about coming back.

I mean - it's still a small town in many ways - certainly in its mentality and outlook.

Perhaps if I had a partner and child my mindset would be different.

But as my job is threatened in the new year I feel that if I went to somewhere like Dubai it would be with few regrets at this stage and as Galwegian in my thirties that makes me a little sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

cornbb wrote: »
    Hen parties.

moaning on christmas... for shame

what I dont like about galway is that it always seems to rain...even more so than anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Due to the fact that it's full of students it has to have the largest population of pretentious twats in Ireland.

It's also full of hippies and those guys working from Oxfam who always ask me how much I spent on beer this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Bijoux wrote: »
    Fúcking idiots lol

And there was me thinking DJing would be good craic...I assumed you would be allowed play what you want :o

Well you are, but if you dont have anyone dancing you have to start playing the **** that they ask for or you're out of a job the next week!

It's coming to the point where I'm looking for a new job as I'm just sick of it. Peoples music tastes in Galway suck COCK!
    (obviously not everyone, but the majority)

I'm from Galway and have lived elsewhere in Ireland and the world.

And I've got to be honest - I'm having second thoughts about coming back.

I mean - it's still a small town in many ways - certainly in its mentality and outlook.

Perhaps if I had a partner and child my mindset would be different.

But as my job is threatened in the new year I feel that if I went to somewhere like Dubai it would be with few regrets at this stage and as Galwegian in my thirties that makes me a little sad. :(

Giant +1 for this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Bijoux

paulhannon wrote: »
    Well you are, but if you dont have anyone dancing you have to start playing the **** that they ask for or you're out of a job the next week!

It's coming to the point where I'm looking for a new job as I'm just sick of it. Peoples music tastes in Galway suck COCK!
    (obviously not everyone, but the majority)

Yeah, but it depends where ya go!

Also....it seems to be full of Sligo and Athlone people! (student accommodation anyways!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Due to the fact that it's full of students it has to have the largest population of pretentious twats in Ireland.

It's also full of hippies and those guys working from Oxfam who always ask me how much I spent on beer this week.

Not always the case, Im a first year, and I think the crowd you are on about are the CP's/Karma crowd, theres plenty of first years that don't like that kind, and don't like ****e music (Im lookin at you Cuba downstairs and Karma). Don't think many students just go to a nightclub for whatevers in the chart, I go to the GPO mainly because you can have the criac in there and not get thrown out, whereas you get strip-searched in Karma just in case you took a smidge of business away, not allowed in if youre not in clothes out of Brown Thomas and all the music you hear is off Now 8878744...

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Not always the case, Im a first year, and I think the crowd you are on about are the CP's/Karma crowd, theres plenty of first years that don't like that kind, and don't like ****e music (Im lookin at you Cuba downstairs and Karma). Don't think many students just go to a nightclub for whatevers in the chart, I go to the GPO mainly because you can have the criac in there and not get thrown out, whereas you get strip-searched in Karma just in case you took a smidge of business away, not allowed in if youre not in clothes out of Brown Thomas and all the music you hear is off Now 8878744...

I have no idea what your talking about. Beer crowd? I wasn't talking about them and where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Those guys working from Oxfam who always ask me how much I spent on beer this week.

Care to expand on that?

• Advertisement

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Care to expand on that?

They are always on shop street looking for money. I always tell them I'm a student and can't afford to give money, which I honestly can't, and the always ask me how much I spent on beer this week trying to guilt trip me into giving money. Every time with that same line. Can't take no for an answer.

Well the only pretentious crowd of students are the crowd that go to Cp's and Karma (and sometimes Halo). They look down on you if you havent spent over 100 on the shirt that youre wearing, and just seem to go to those places just to see who's going with each other. Been in them, been bored to tears and left quite quickly.

Not on about the beer crowd at all. Sorry if I didn't say what I meant clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShineadyRyan

yep your moaning but your allowed... cheer up, !!! (im on the cherry brandy lol)
    its christmas... galway is lovely.. you cant moan about the whole of galway because of one silly cow who cant park.. laugh it off and be positive,, in the knowledge that if she cant park she will probably cremate the christmas dinner as well lol...

serious you got to laugh at these people.. :):):)

Listen to that guy above!!! Totally right!!..just laugh it off
    Dude....get over it. Yeah it's a pain in the arse when someone does that...but seriously...relax.
    Galway people are probably the most laid back people in Ireland...so just relax like!!!:):) It's christmas!:) Be happy ...

DRakE wrote: »
    things that annoy me

- the majority of people on this board
    - the women are cunts
    Well the only pretentious crowd of students are the crowd that go to Cp's and Karma (and sometimes Halo). They look down on you if you havent spent over 100 on the shirt that youre wearing, and just seem to go to those places just to see who's going with each other. Been in them, been bored to tears and left quite quickly.

Looks like a couple of people got rejected in C.P'S /Halo/Karma!.......buuuurn...

GPO is alright..if you go on a monday night and are absolutely smashed...any other night...you'll probably get stabbed or something, rough aul place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Looks like a couple of people got rejected in C.P'S /Halo/Karma!.......buuuurn...

GPO is alright..if you go on a monday night and are absolutely smashed...any other night...you'll probably get stabbed or something, rough aul place...

'me arse. I've had more trouble in CPs than i've ever had in the gippo.

Nope, well never got rejected, but may have when smashed and can't remember it.

Gpo is fine any night as long as you dont go round calling people twats you know what I mean, keep to yourself and your mates and youre fine, general rule for anywhere really. Worst thing i've seen in my 4 months of the Gpo is someone turning off the lights in the smoking area and some girl screaming like a banshee, that and someone starting my mate but nothing came of it.

PS Dont want to start a new thread about one stupid thing, but I lost the ticket for my Jacket in Cuba one night, does anyone know their contact number or where the management is based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

the gob****es I meet everynight when i'm working.............. your not funny when you put your hand out and when I go to stamp it you pull away!!! and i wouldnt mind but they're the older crowd...young people usually appreciate getting a stamp ........ aaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Glad I got that out

On the flip-side i meet some absolutely great people too and they make my night :D

chrussell wrote: »
    the gob****es I meet everynight when i'm working.............. your not funny when you put your hand out and when I go to stamp it you pull away!!! and i wouldnt mind but they're the older crowd...young people usually appreciate getting a stamp ........ aaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Glad I got that out

On the flip-side i meet some absolutely great people too and they make my night :D

awww.....stamps...you guys have saved me so much money:D:D...if anything...i always get two stamps for each club..don't ask me why....seems like a good idea @ the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

awww.....stamps...you guys have saved me so much money:D:D...if anything...i always get two stamps for each club..don't ask me why....seems like a good idea @ the time :)

You shouild always get two, incase you wash it off and if you get two you can bring a friend :D

You guys absolutely rock, its a rough job I'd of thought, just takes one person to start a fight. Anyone notice how hard it is to wash it off in the morning though?

• Advertisement

No your half right. The Karma crowd are right up themselves. I agree there completely, but I'm saying it goes further then that :) Outside the beer crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I was walking down Shop Street about a week ago, by myself, when a young lad working the stamps opened with "good evening folks..."

You're fired!

PS Dont want to start a new thread about one stupid thing, but I lost the ticket for my Jacket in Cuba one night, does anyone know their contact number or where the management is based?

Just go in just before 11 and they usually let you in before its open to head up to the cloakroom and recover it. You'll have to describe it pretty well to get it back if you've no ticket.

Yeah I can do that, thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Bijoux wrote: »
    Walking over the Quincentennial / Quincentenary Bridge.
    The way there are two names for that bridge.

Yeah what the **** is up with there being two names for the bridge?

I always called it the 'Quincentennial' and it never crossed my mind that it might have been incorrect until....

.... I saw 'Quincentenary' on a couple of signs and heard them say it that way on the GalwayBayFM traffic reports so changed how I said it because I thought I might have been wrong all along.

Think i'll go back to saying 'Quincentennial' - IMO it sounds better..

KevR wrote: »
    Yeah what the **** is up with there being two names for the bridge?

I always called it the 'Quincentennial' and it never crossed my mind that it might have been incorrect until....

.... I saw 'Quincentenary' on a couple of signs and heard them say it that way on the GalwayBayFM traffic reports so changed how I said it because I thought I might have been wrong all along.

Think i'll go back to saying 'Quincentennial' - IMO it sounds better..

Yeah I agree.....Quincentenary sounds more pretentious for some reason :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

things that annoy me... ending up in the same pub/club every bloody night coz my firends are too narrow minded to try something else.

i could rant but i won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Feckin drunk people singing on their way home, hence me being awake at this hour :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Hmmmmm,

It has to be the consistant lack of decent restaurants....of all calibres, high end, low end, middle of the road, cafes....even the 'good' ones really ain't that great...previously you'd get the occassional great meal, but now it's all fairly mediocre......Wish they'd come up here from Kinsale and teach the restauranteurs a thing or two!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

The Huntsman
    Milanos
    Thai garden
    Gemelles
    Da Robertas

How can you say we lack good restaurants!

Advertisement