Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy you about Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The Huntsman
    Milanos
    Thai garden
    Gemelles
    Da Robertas

How can you say we lack good restaurants!

Yea, sure, all of the above are grand, but nothing spectacular, good for a bite to eat but they are never exactly gonna blow you away!!

And I know a lot of people who really hate the Huntsman, tho I think it's fairly ok, it's consistant at least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

biko wrote: »
    I used to shop there all the time before I discovered that the prices on the selves and the prices at the till didn't match. I stopped shopping there since.
    I shopped there a few times. My aul lad used to go in there on his way out from town as it was handy, being on the way home, but he found the same problem with prices. They never seemed to be incorrect in favour of the customer either.

I don't actively avoid it now, as I don't live near it, but I'd go somewhere else if I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah you have a point there alright, consistent and grand but not amazing wow or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rigel

We were up for the match last Sunday and had a few pints in the Huntsman, great place, followed by a tasty snack box from Supermacs now that was Wow!

Now the thing that annoyed me was the mess that was accessing the Well Park Shopping Centre car park, traffic backed up on the Dublin road because they had this stupid barrier serving no purpose, no exit onto the Dublin Road, and the most ridiculous perpendicular parking system outside the stores. Oh yeah, and well done Connacht. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

1) The rain
    2) The appalling drivers
    3) The traffic
    4) The lack of a decent public transport
    5) The lack of decent restaurants (yes there are some but not many)]
    6) The dampness of the gaffs
    7) The laziness of the residents who
    (i) contribute to the traffic by driving everywhere (me included: see (4) above),
    (ii) double and illegally park because they are too lazy to walk more than ten feet to go anywhere.
    (iii) feel it is necessary to kick the wall at the end of the prom as if it is some sort of accomplishment to have walked more than a kilometre.
    8) The fact that there is **** all to do, how many times can you walk the prom before you lose your ****ing mind?
    9) The fact that people insist it's the best fecking place in the world, people, I assume, who have never been anywhere else.
    10) The fact that there are virtually no amenities outside of the city centre, there is no sense of community or anywhere to go in the burbs unless you fancy hanging out in B&Q or a hotel bar.
    11) The fact that people seem excited about the concept of a B&Q.
    12) You can't drink the water from your tap.
    13) You can't drink the water from the shops.
    14) You can't walk your dog on the beach.
    15) There isn't enough bank machines.
    16) There isn't enough 'local' shops, and by local I mean individually owned non-chains.
    17) Apart from going to the mediocre cinema to watch one of their lame selections of movies or eat a pretty poor but definitely overpriced meal there is nothing to do in the evenings apart from go to the pub.
    18) I am bound to put at least one person's nose out of joint by pointing out all these facts about "The best fecking place to live"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

For me, its the restaurants. I think Galway has a lot of average restaurants but for a town of its size it doesn't have enough really good ones.
    I put it down to the fact that its a tourist town with not a lot of repeat business so they don't feel they need to work hard to make sure you come back.
    A chef that I know, who has quality international experience, tells me that Galway Restaurants make way more use of microwaves than he has seen anywhere else. To him that wasn't cheffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

dafunk wrote: »
    8) The fact that there is **** all to do, how many times can you walk the prom before you lose your ****ing mind?
    9) The fact that people insist it's the best fecking place in the world, people, I assume, who have never been anywhere else.

You speak the truth.
    I have posted on this thread before with similar comments.
    I am from Galway - been away elsewhere - came back.
    And am having second thoughts - job slipping - weather bad!!

1) The rain
    2) The appalling drivers
    3) The traffic
    4) The lack of a decent public transport
    5) The lack of decent restaurants (yes there are some but not many)]
    6) The dampness of the gaffs
    7) The laziness of the residents who
    (i) contribute to the traffic by driving everywhere (me included: see (4) above),
    (ii) double and illegally park because they are too lazy to walk more than ten feet to go anywhere.
    (iii) feel it is necessary to kick the wall at the end of the prom as if it is some sort of accomplishment to have walked more than a kilometre.
    10) The fact that there are virtually no amenities outside of the city centre, there is no sense of community or anywhere to go in the burbs unless you fancy hanging out in B&Q or a hotel bar.
    11) The fact that people seem excited about the concept of a B&Q.
    12) You can't drink the water from your tap.
    13) You can't drink the water from the shops.
    14) You can't walk your dog on the beach.
    15) There isn't enough bank machines.
    16) There isn't enough 'local' shops, and by local I mean individually owned non-chains.
    17) Apart from going to the mediocre cinema to watch one of their lame selections of movies or eat a pretty poor but definitely overpriced meal there is nothing to do in the evenings apart from go to the pub.
    18) I am bound to put at least one person's nose out of joint by pointing out all these facts about "The best fecking place to live"

+1...... yet i still love living here:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I cannot disagree with many of your points.

But re the ones above, have you ever heard of the Town Hall theatre? (Lots of plays/shows there. New ones virtually every week too.) Have you ever been to the Aquarium? Silver Strand beach? Barna woods? The greyhounds? Played a sport (seem to be lots of teams around, not all strenuous either, eg the Walking Club)? Sung in a choir? Played a musical instrument? Done yoga/meditation? Kept fish (no, I'm not kidding, there is a Connacht Fish-keep's society!) Learned a language? Been ice-skating (admittedly only available for a month)? Done a river cruise? Had a massage? Been to the library (admittely not great, but there are some new books) Swum at Leisureland? Etc?

What sort of facilities do you expect to see in the suburbs of a city? The whole point is that they're suburbs, not the middle of the city!

JustMary wrote: »
    I cannot disagree with many of your points.

But re the ones above, have you ever heard of the Town Hall theatre? (Lots of plays/shows there. New ones virtually every week too.) Have you ever been to the Aquarium? Silver Strand beach? Barna woods? The greyhounds? Played a sport (seem to be lots of teams around, not all strenuous either, eg the Walking Club)? Sung in a choir? Played a musical instrument? Done yoga/meditation? Kept fish (no, I'm not kidding, there is a Connacht Fish-keep's society!) Learned a language? Been ice-skating (admittedly only available for a month)? Done a river cruise? Had a massage? Been to the library (admittely not great, but there are some new books) Swum at Leisureland? Etc?

What sort of facilities do you expect to see in the suburbs of a city? The whole point is that they're suburbs, not the middle of the city!

I will say that some parts of Co.Galway really are beautiful...Kinvara for example; and there are valid points in the above; however:

The Townhall theatre is a bit of a kip and with their exorbitant rental hike this year ticket prices are not exactly cheap anymore.....it aint a recession friendly place.......The Good Friday thing is epic tho

Silver strand ain't much of a beach, sure it's pretty, but it doesn't have the wow/expanse factor of it's Kerry/Mayo/Sligo counterparts.....in fact it's pretty pathetic by comparison.

Ditto Barna woods..... It's really rather tiny...

Keeping fish/yoga classes/choir costs more money here than anywhere else in the country, and I'd wager I could safely include Dublin in that.

Greyhounds.....are greyhounds....but some people like that sort of thing...

Leisureland??

*shudder*

Galway city is like an over priced designer shirt...... you pay thru the nose for it and everything that goes with it, yet in reality it really doesn't fit so well, and behind it all you're a bit dubious about the cut and quality of it on the whole.....(but fcuk it...it looks good from the distance so you try not to scrutinise it so much....)

Still like living here tho;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

I do see your point on this, but I think it has something to do with the speed with which Galway Surburbia was developed.

I lived in a small city in the UK, and the city centre was about the same size as Galway. But it didnt really have surburbs. Instead, it was surrounded by villages which had gradually become part of the city, so each little area had its own distinct feel, own pubs, local corner shops, bakerys, post office etc.

There isn't a pub within walking distance of where I live in Galway I would be bothered going to at all.

I will say that some parts of Co.Galway really are beautiful...Kinvara for example; and there are valid points in the above; however:

The Townhall theatre is a bit of a kip and with their exorbitant rental hike this year ticket prices are not exactly cheap anymore.....it aint a recession friendly place.......The Good Friday thing is epic tho

Silver strand ain't much of a beach, sure it's pretty, but it doesn't have the wow/expanse factor of it's Kerry/Mayo/Sligo counterparts.....in fact it's pretty pathetic by comparison.

Ditto Barna woods..... It's really rather tiny...

Keeping fish/yoga classes/choir costs more money here than anywhere else in the country, and I'd wager I could safely include Dublin in that.

Greyhounds.....are greyhounds....but some people like that sort of thing...

Leisureland??

*shudder*

Yeah, I never said any of those things was perfect. But there's amply proof that there's not "nothing to do except go to the pub". Yes, some of the classes etc are expensive - but is Galway really that much more expensive than the rest of the country? And anyway, how many pints do you get for E10 anyway?

depending on where you go two or just the one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I can't argue about the kip element cause I haven't been in it yet, but there's plenty scheduled for the threatre this spring, lots of shakespeare and beckett for 15 quid, hardly expensive. Also there's an international literature festival in the coming months.

Things I dislike about Galway; renting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

19. The fact that some of the residents are miserable gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

19. The fact that some of the residents are miserable gits.

+1

Am not really sure what people expect, the way some of ye go on you want everything that Dublin or London offers in a city the size of Galway. Galway is for example a diverse city with excellent cultural events for somewhere of its size.

The people who live in the likes of Rochdale, Darlington, Basingstoke etc in the Uk (all around the size of Galway), would be shaking their head in amazement at a thread like this.

Everyone would be delighted to have more opportunities and improvements in things such as arts, museums etc and an improvement in the road system, which as a non native is bad but is understandable to a certain extent due to expansion rate of city, its geography and and age of the city.

Some peoples positives will always be others negatives. Maybe some of those who are offering negatives and complain about lack of things happening in Galway actually get out and contribute to the running of organisations festivals etc or get involved in politics and get their voice heard!! Its so easy to sit and complain and expect others to improve their lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

An Taisce:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Webbs wrote: »
    +1

Am not really sure what people expect, the way some of ye go on you want everything that Dublin or London offers in a city the size of Galway. Galway is for example a diverse city with excellent cultural events for somewhere of its size.

The people who live in the likes of Rochdale, Darlington, Basingstoke etc in the Uk (all around the size of Galway), would be shaking their head in amazement at a thread like this.

Everyone would be delighted to have more opportunities and improvements in things such as arts, museums etc and an improvement in the road system, which as a non native is bad but is understandable to a certain extent due to expansion rate of city, its geography and and age of the city.

Some peoples positives will always be others negatives. Maybe some of those who are offering negatives and complain about lack of things happening in Galway actually get out and contribute to the running of organisations festivals etc or get involved in politics and get their voice heard!! Its so easy to sit and complain and expect others to improve their lot!!

Well said, last year, i had quite a few people over from the UK, almost all of them in Ireland for the first time and they were amazed at what Galway had to offer. They all loved it, even some wishing they could move over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

No Fcuking POST CODES!! :pac:

Bass Cadet wrote: »

hmmmm you must live in the country :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

The Huntsman
    Milanos
    Thai garden
    Gemelles
    Da Robertas

How can you say we lack good restaurants!

I'd have to disagree about the Huntsman being a good restaurant well at least not anymore, it was a good one some years ago though.
    Last time i went in there i downed a bit of food only to discover a long strand of hair extending from down my throat up to my mouth!
    This is not the only reason i think its gone down hill though! The same thing has happened the place IMO that has happened a lot of restaurants in the city!
    Instead of giving you a nice big dinner they throw out this new age meal that wouldn't feed a baby and a new age fancy lookin plate that would look more at home in an art exhibition!

Bass Cadet wrote: »

KP7 = the central city and inner suburbs.
    http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/ponc/poncmqmap.php?pc=kp7&heading=Area%20for%20kp7&lat=53.278256913857064&lng=-9.060125216784963&zoom=11

http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/ will give you more detailed codes, and also ones for other parts of the city/county/country.

Sure, they're a private company, and not officially sanctioned by An Post etc. But they've at least started doing something about the problem. If we all adopt their codes, An Post's hand will be forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Ahh Paul Hannon Paul Hannon, if you didnt use your real name on boards, like everyone else, Id never have known it was you lol.
    So have they got you keeping and eye on boards.ie now too :P
    How is the meetings without me? :)

Back on topic,
    - The amount of scumbag hoodies that sit around the square all the time.
    - The price of drink
    - The music in the clubs
    - I know i said this already, dumbass students (not all of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Fracture wrote: »
    Ahh Paul Hannon Paul Hannon, if you didnt use your real name on boards, like everyone else, Id never have known it was you lol.
    So have they got you keeping and eye on boards.ie now too :P
    How is the meetings without me? :)

Nah, I just like coming here to bitch using my made up guise!

Meetings are far better now ya gone! we sit naked and laugh at Byrno! ho ho
    Meetings rock! ya...up with more meetings!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Car Park in NUIG
    &
    City Planners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sgthighway wrote: »
    Car Park in NUIG

make that people who drive to NUIG despite living less than 20 minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I use to work on the road and had to call in there a lot to do Maintenance calls. I'd be longer parking that doing a job. Then I might have to call back to another Dept a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Most drivers are useless once on a roundabout, indicating at the wrong time or not at all, the traffic too. Other than that i like the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Imaging having a roundabout with traffic lights on it, what bright spark dreamt that one up. Its hell to cross on foot, even worse on bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

As a tourist first and now a foreigner in Ireland who was living in Co. Galway for some months...Galway is too full of "alternative" people, wannabe hippies, italians (like me...lol), spanish...even if I do like the town and the county...I don't get an "irish" feeling out of it...dunno why exactly.
    Still...I miss something now that I moved (for example people speaking irish, darn).

Advertisement