Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy you about Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JustMary wrote: »
    KP7 = the central city and inner suburbs.
    http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/ponc/poncmqmap.php?pc=kp7&heading=Area%20for%20kp7&lat=53.278256913857064&lng=-9.060125216784963&zoom=11

http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/ will give you more detailed codes, and also ones for other parts of the city/county/country.

Sure, they're a private company, and not officially sanctioned by An Post etc. But they've at least started doing something about the problem. If we all adopt their codes, An Post's hand will be forced.

Going a bit off-topic here but that's really cool. Just checked mine and I'm KP7 (inner suburbs) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

As a tourist first and now a foreigner in Ireland who was living in Co. Galway for some months...Galway is too full of "alternative" people, wannabe hippies, italians (like me...lol), spanish...even if I do like the town and the county...I don't get an "irish" feeling out of it...dunno why exactly.
    Still...I miss something now that I moved (for example people speaking irish, darn).

I read that Galway has the highest percentage of foreign nationals in the country-you've only yourself to blame for following the trend lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

- Lack of city planning.
    - Stupid cycle 'facilities' which actually increase the risk to cyclists.
    - Difficulty in getting reasonable all day breckfast (Galway arms is best)
    - Lack of affordable pubs
    - Lack of a sports bar. it is very difficult to watch sporting events in pubs.

Re. getting round 'magic roundabout' on bicycle, your best bet is to use the roundabout like motor vehicals. don't try to use those 'bike paths' unless you want to kill yourself without any of the shame.

Re. the bridge that connects newcastle to the 'magic roundabout', it actually has a third name, the name by which most people in galway refer to it - the 'new bridge'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭swimgal08

Galway People who are cranky

i.e. everyone who posted on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

swimgal08 wrote: »
    Galway People who are cranky

i.e. everyone who posted on this thread

I can see you lasting a long time here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Cranky? Maybe... Constructive criticism? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Re. the bridge that connects newcastle to the 'magic roundabout', it actually has a third name, the name by which most people in galway refer to it - the 'new bridge'.
    :D Forgot about that! Used to call it that but stopped a few years ago..

A Bridge with 3 names :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I read that Galway has the highest percentage of foreign nationals in the country-you've only yourself to blame for following the trend lol!

If u noticed I wrote I was living in Co Galway, I can assure there weren't many foreigners were I was living...lol. When then it came to choose a city or town I choosed a different place for this reason :P

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

The sheer infestation of scummy chavs with their socks tucked into their tracksuit pants. Where did all these absolute **** appear out of all of a sudden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Full of boggers who prefer their burgers from Supermacs over Burger King.
    120 miles from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

120 miles from Dublin.

This calls for a celebration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

cornbb wrote: »
    This calls for a celebration.
    Not if you are civilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Not if you are civilised.

Not if you are from civilised Dublin, either, I'm sure. Your jealousy is showing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Climate Expert banned for 2 weeks for trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 poshie

Is it the Quincentenary Bridge? Wow, I lived in Galway most of my life and thought it was Quincentenial.
    Galway pros: Charcoal Grill, La Salsa, Freeneys, Dew Drop Inn, the gigs in Roisins getting better and better, seeing the family.
    Cons: Rain, Eyre Square Redux being very bland, seeming really small when i come home to visit, ballinfoyle park.
    God bless you G-ville

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

For a weekend visitor there is not lot to do in the daytime. You walk up and down Shop St a couple of times then go to the pub.

I remember visiting for the first time with my now wife a few years ago we had a leaflet listing local attractions, the first we visited was The Claddagh,it turned out to be 1930's local authority estate, the next Spainish Arch reminded me of of Phil and Grant's garage in Eastenders, when we peered into it we half expected to see the hapless Ricky struggling with an oil change.

Galway suffers like tourist towns everywhere from a feeling of Inauthenticity, but that said it is ahead of the vast majority of provincial Irish towns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Altar_Ego_Boy

For a weekend visitor there is not lot to do in the daytime. You walk up and down Shop St a couple of times then go to the pub.

I remember visiting for the first time with my now wife a few years ago we had a leaflet listing local attractions, the first we visited was The Claddagh,it turned out to be 1930's local authority estate, the next Spainish Arch reminded me of of Phil and Grant's garage in Eastenders, when we peered into it we half expected to see the hapless Ricky struggling with an oil change.

Galway suffers like tourist towns everywhere from a feeling of Inauthenticity, but that said it is ahead of the vast majority of provincial Irish towns.

Id say the big towns and cities of ireland have little or nothing to offer the visitor.

What you need to enjoy ireland is a car to visit countryside and nice villages, some good weather and to be drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

The small and hence incestuous gay scene.

Other'n that Galway is great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

parking is definately a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, right. Try any of these:
    • Aquarium
    • Museum (ok, it's not flash, but better than nothing on a wet day)
    • Crystal factory
    • Very good trad session in the Crane on Sunday early-afternoon
    • Walk the prom (don't forget to kick the wall)
    • Walk up the Corrib, and to Menlo castle
    • Greyhounds (Friday pm)

Get a local friend to take you for a walk around the city - sights they could show you include the following, and if they've got any sense of the place there's a good story to be told for each one (and in some cases the story is on a plaque on the wall).
    • Eyre Square (Browne door, fountain, last gallows site)
    • The city wall fragments inside the shopping centre and in back gardens around
    • The pro cathedral building
    • Lynch's castle / memorial window
    • King's Head
    • The market
    • St Nicholas's church
    • Druid's lane
    • Claddagh ring musuem
    • Nora Barnacle's house (sure it's closed in the off-season, but you can tell the story from outside)
    • Nun's Island
    • The cathedral (former jail site ... some would say how appropriate! ;)
    • Salmon weir
    • The canals and former mill buildings (in Mill St, oddly enough)
    • Dominic St - Lady Gregory's family townhouse, the Arts centre
    • The Claddagh (focus on the basin and statues/memorials there, not the council houses!!!)
    • Spanish Arch (insignificant in itself, but it's the start of the Forthill story)
    • Blake's Castle
    • Forthill Cemetery

And don't get me started on the various festivals, many of which have daytime as well as evening events. As does the Town Hall theatre at the weekend. And there are a few art galleries that are open too.

Or the things further out in the county, but no more than a day trip away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

iradio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

What annoys me in Galway? Hmm... Probably no access to the things that I used to do before I moved to the city, like going for walk in local parks, riding go-carts, shooting at range with friends, going out on motocross races, 3D cinemas, and many many more. I don't drink much so clubs and pubs can entertain me only once in a month or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

JustMary wrote: »
    Yeah, right. Try any of these:
    • Aquarium
    • Museum (ok, it's not flash, but better than nothing on a wet day)
    • Crystal factory
    • Very good trad session in the Crane on Sunday early-afternoon
    • Walk the prom (don't forget to kick the wall)
    • Walk up the Corrib, and to Menlo castle
    • Greyhounds (Friday pm)

Get a local friend to take you for a walk around the city - sights they could show you include the following, and if they've got any sense of the place there's a good story to be told for each one (and in some cases the story is on a plaque on the wall).
    • Eyre Square (Browne door, fountain, last gallows site)
    • The city wall fragments inside the shopping centre and in back gardens around
    • The pro cathedral building
    • Lynch's castle / memorial window
    • King's Head
    • The market
    • St Nicholas's church
    • Druid's lane
    • Claddagh ring musuem
    • Nora Barnacle's house (sure it's closed in the off-season, but you can tell the story from outside)
    • Nun's Island
    • The cathedral (former jail site ... some would say how appropriate! ;)
    • Salmon weir
    • The canals and former mill buildings (in Mill St, oddly enough)
    • Dominic St - Lady Gregory's family townhouse, the Arts centre
    • The Claddagh (focus on the basin and statues/memorials there, not the council houses!!!)
    • Spanish Arch (insignificant in itself, but it's the start of the Forthill story)
    • Blake's Castle
    • Forthill Cemetery

And don't get me started on the various festivals, many of which have daytime as well as evening events. As does the Town Hall theatre at the weekend. And there are a few art galleries that are open too.

Or the things further out in the county, but no more than a day trip away.

Lets face it the main daytime attraction in Galway for a tourist is to walk around and soak up the atmosphere and most the activities listed above involve that and nothing wrong with it either ,it is what i enjoy . But on a rainy day...............with kids

The aquarium is an idea for next time, the museum is disappointing and the idea of visiting a factory is not for me but certainly an option for others. Galway could certainly do with something else to while away a damp day.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

. . an architectural monstrosity . . Should have left the Galway jail there as a museum . .it had a punishment treadmill . . Pat Jennings (RIP) knew the last man who was sentenced to tread it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

AMHRASACH wrote: »
    . . an architectural monstrosity . . Should have left the Galway jail there as a museum . .it had a punishment treadmill . . Pat Jennings (RIP) knew the last man who was sentenced to tread it!

Agreed, it is one ugly building. It's like a bunch of large matchboxes stuck together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Lets face it the main daytime attraction in Galway for a tourist is to walk around and soak up the atmosphere and most the activities listed above involve that and nothing wrong with it either ,it is what i enjoy . But on a rainy day...............with kids

The aquarium is an idea for next time, the museum is disappointing and the idea of visiting a factory is not for me but certainly an option for others. Galway could certainly do with something else to while away a damp day.

Well I guess you could go bowling, there are a few kids places like Bonkers (I think thats what its called). You are coming to what is a large town/small city am not really sure what as a weekend visitor you would expect?

I think that people have unrealistic expectations of a city of less than 80k, not meant as a go at you, just something that crops up on the boards a few times about the lack of facilities etc, expecting what you would get in a large city like Dublin, Belfast etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The Nurses Home at the hospital. Everyone says its a classic art deco building and is really nice. Its not. Its an awful looking lump of concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

For me, it's the Palestinian solidarity committee :

www.blog.liammartin.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

A rainy day with kids?
    3 options:

1. go to salthill, bring them swimming in leisureland, the hit seapoint for video games and pool and finish in the aquarium.

2. go to the omniplex for a movie, mdonalds after then across the road for bowling and vid games.

3. go to city limits in oranmore and choose from cinema, bowling, vid games, laser tag, rock climbing, indoor go carts.

Hopefull all these places are still in operation. I havent been home for over a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

A rainy day with kids?
    3 options:

1. go to salthill, bring them swimming in leisureland, the hit seapoint for video games and pool and finish in the aquarium.

2. go to the omniplex for a movie, mdonalds after then across the road for bowling and vid games.

3. go to city limits in oranmore and choose from cinema, bowling, vid games, laser tag, rock climbing, indoor go carts.

Hopefull all these places are still in operation. I havent been home for over a year!

4. Open wallet and shake

Advertisement