Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that annoy you about Galway

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Is this City Limits place still on the go? Their site doesnt seem to have been updated much.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

the mill st garda and bouncers in town, iv found salthill garda way more fairer and dont get hassled by warwick bouncers which i do in town, i love galway + i drive a motorbike sothe traffic isnt a big issue with me although the 300 days of rain do annoy me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

FEE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

JohnCleary wrote: »
    FEE

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A rainy day with kids?
    3 options:

1. go to salthill, bring them swimming in leisureland, the hit seapoint for video games and pool and finish in the aquarium.

2. go to the omniplex for a movie, mdonalds after then across the road for bowling and vid games.

3. go to city limits in oranmore and choose from cinema, bowling, vid games, laser tag, rock climbing, indoor go carts.

Sheesh, that'd be a spoilt bunch of kids (2-3 activities in one day, yeah, right).

Try this:

4. put on appropriate clothing and walk to the nearest playground. If kids complain, explain how grandad used to walk ten miles barefoot over broken glass just to get to school. Run 'em ragged, then home for a refreshing drink of water and some crackers (26c/packet from Tesco).

Celtic Tiger cubs have some lessons to be learning .... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

JohnCleary wrote: »
    FEE
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fluffysierra

The 10 roundabouts I have to go through to get to my house.
    The fact that most of them have 5 exits and nobody knows which lane their supposed to be in.
    FEE

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4arc

How about the fact that all the housing estates sound the same, coz they're all in fecking irish!

If i heard one more Dun or Bun!

Also the mayor, stop giving out about everything when all he does is go to receptions! is he really needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ScarlettOHara

I stayed in the new hotel beside the lake a few miles outside Galway.I can't think of the hotel or town..aghhhhh:eek: It was fantastic and Mary was so nice to us...Loughrea? N6 springs to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

Yup, that's Loughrea! And lol at the housing estates with obfusticated Irish names in Galway...inhabited by people who can barely string "I want job, yes?!" together...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

As a former resident of (inmate??) of Galway I recall one Housing estate in my native Oranmore called Tudor Vale.
    Imagine calling a housing estate after a Dynasty which did more to try and wipe out the Irish than any other. Henry VIII and Elizabeth I were no friends of the Irish.

Do people read their history?

Irish names are OK on housing estates but not everyone speaks Irish.
    I am not fond of anglicising Irish names to suit English pronunciation though.

And Threadneedle Road in Salthill, why call a road after the street wherein the Bank of England lies?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Inanna*

I agree..i have three kids myself, and not much money
    they are happy with a visit to the beach or the woods
    run around building sandcastles or tree forts, conquer the world or destroy the sith for an hour
    and go home happy and sleep well

All that leisureland and outer limits stuff is reserved for birthdays..

kids need to just play, simply

you know, like you buy expensive toys and they end up playing with the box...?

could bring kids into the social space - its cool

Or if you have a spare E20, bring them to Fat Freddies for
    a pizza. they love it!

typical saturday with 3 kids:
    into town, buzz round market, samosa or currys (E20)
    cup o tea outside neachtains or quays (if not raining!) kids can run around a bit, E2 for crisps (E6), free blackcurrent drinks
    meet people, watch buskers, wander a bit more
    mb cup o tea social space
    feed swans and then pick up car from claddagh (free parking..)
    home, tired kids...film, bed
    evening free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Inanna*

I'm from dublin, Living here over 10 years..

Glad of the distance...

Dublin people great, don't get me wrong, but
    It's too big,
    I like galway because there is a good balance between town and city..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The uneven paving on Shop Street. Probably caused by lorries driving on it to make deliveries in the mornings. To be fair, they don't have any good alternatives to driving on Shop Street for their deliveries - its unvoidable but such a shame about the paving.

Also, I don't know why so many grey paving slabs/stones were used on Shop Street and around Eyre Square. It's a bit dull and un-inspiring IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

. .Galway Bay FM - - -EXECRABLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The worst thing I think about Galway is that oh! is that it? we're back here again feeling I get on emerging at the top of the pedestrian street at the grey, windswept Eyre Square.

It is closely run by that oh! is that it? we're back here again feeling I get on emerging at the bottom of the same pedestrian street, looking out at the grey, windswept Claddagh basin.

Nothing for it then, but to turn around and ...

Let's face it. It's Ennis on steroids. Galway badly needs two things:

1) an outer bypass
    2) for the soulless suburbs to be redeveloped once the traffic has been removed

Dublin outgrew the old town of Fishamble street and Christchurch and Limerick outgrew the English and Irishtowns. Galway got stuck in its medieval streets. Cute for tourists. ****e for meaningful progress for residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I want professional shooting range right now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

AMHRASACH wrote: »
    . .Galway Bay FM - - -EXECRABLE!

Just plain painful,biggest redneck station in Ireland.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

kinetic wrote: »
    You've gotta love the death notices. €85 a stiff.

A friend who used to work there used to refer to is as Corpse Countdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

kinetic wrote: »

Mid-West Radio holds that coveted title,sorry. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Robbo wrote: »
    You've gotta love the death notices. €85 a stiff.

A friend who used to work there used to refer to is as Corpse Countdown.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

Bad Drivers-speeding, on mobiles, in wrong lanes, not being able to use or care about using indicators correctly. All compounded by a feck load of roundabouts.

A Garda could stand at a roundabout and fill a quota in 1 hour - if he had one of course ;)

I moved to Galway a few years ago and couldn't and still can't get over the quality of the driving down this way

Difference is, you can get away with it here I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crystal castle

No one indicates on roundabouts...ever. And all the crust about the place. Still best place to be in Ireland, hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING!

ESPECIALLY THE INCREASING AMOUNT OF TOTALLY ****ING (UNTS!!!

as soon as i find a job that will take me away from galway or this country im gone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

paulhannon wrote: »
    JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING!

as soon as i find a job that will take me away from galway or this country im gone!!!

Dont let the door hit your arse on the way out;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

The people who can't use adjectives correctly

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING!

Im emigrating to Melbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

ONE Thai Food restaurant! and it doesnt even deliver! Got addicted to Thai food while i was away this summer , far far superior to the manky chinese food that exists in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

In two words, Catherine Connelly. She is a pain in my hole.

A moaney, crying, band wagon jumping, complaining, miserable, pissy, sour, rat faced hag.

Shut the hell up woman. We get it, your a champion of the people and will do ANYTHING to get your mush pictured in the papers be it next to an injured kitten or a capsized oil tanker. You will be there spouting crap and platitudes about your concern over this issue, who you will be raising the issue with and demanding action NOW!! Bloody hippy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING!

The sooner the better for all concerned, it appears.

Advertisement