Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dennis 'the wino'

Options
  • 24-12-2008 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Spotted him in Supermacs earlier, totally sober, chatting away and never looked better. Such a good thing to see a person like that doing their best to come back to reality especially at this time of year. Didn't make a big deal of trying to talk to him, just wished him a Merry XMas, he smiled and wished me a Happy New Year - So much better than the abuse he used to hurl while slumped on the streets. Just couldn't get over how healthy he looked, aah Xmas! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

He's been on the dry now for a good while, maybe a year or more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Jesus he was a legend back in the day. I couldnt see anything but bad things for him. Thats cool as fcuk to hear that. He was never a real annoying wino like some of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

been around for 25 years almost unchanged till recently .

he even survived a wall falling on him unlike some of his mates .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Well I've been away from home for over a year now and I like to check this forum from time to time to get a feel for whats going on.
    When I saw Dennis' name in the title of a thread I was hoping he hadn't died so great to hear he's fighting fit. If he can pack in the drink then anyone can. I bumped into him in Cullinanes bookies last year and had to look about three times to see if it was him.Literally the first time in my life I had ever seen him sober. Fair play to the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

He's been sober a good while now, always see him walking through Salthill. He fell off the wagon there back in September, saw him hammered stumbling around outside Eason's but saw a couple of times recently and he looks great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

what does this dennis fella look like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    what does this dennis fella look like

A recovering alcoholic

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

dennis wouldnt stand out very much now wheareas it was a different story few yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Great story to hear.

I can't say i'd recognize this Dennis fella either way, but it's great to hear of someone starting to get the better of their addiction and getting their quality of life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Is he the guy with the big beard who plays air guitar outside ZHivago?

Or the old guy with the bald head who hangs around the Oscar Wilde statue(used to have a scrubby white/grey beard)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Dennis is fairly tall, clean shaven with dark hair. See him alot now in Salthill and he looks mighty, fair play to him. The guy with the beard and crazy dancing around Zhivago is Pat, not sure about the guy down by the Oscar Wilde statue. I seen Knackerdwarf yesterday in Eyre Square (where else).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Did anyone see KnackerDwarf's courtcase in the Advertiser last week? The judge said if he was caught loitering at the Bus station, the Bank of Ireland or outside Brown Thomas again that he was going to jail!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Jamey wrote: »
    Did anyone see KnackerDwarf's courtcase in the Advertiser last week? The judge said if he was caught loitering at the Bus station, the Bank of Ireland or outside Brown Thomas again that he was going to jail!

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/6341

What's the little fcuks obsession with BT? And how does the cnut have money to live/pay rent? Does he have a job or just another dole scrounging lazy cnut?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    .... money to live/pay rent? Does he have a job or just another dole scrounging lazy cnut?

I'd imagine he's on some kind of disability benefit (not sure what the exact name of it is over here, but you get the general idea).

I'd imagine there's a social worker somewhere who'd love to see him get a job, because it would put some structure into his day, and give the folks at BT a rest. But combining what I've seen of his behaviour in the streets with what was in the paper, I doubt he's employable. [Imagine having him as a work colleague!] So I don't resent the taxes spent giving him a benefit, tis better than having him begging on the streets.

JustMary wrote: »
    So I don't resent the taxes spent giving him a benefit, tis better than having him begging on the streets.

Boll1x to that, stick the little fcukin' runt in an ad for Willy Wonka's Chocolate or something. He's both physicially and mentally capable of doing SOME sort of job - I see people (again) both mentally and physicially worse off than him TRYING to make something of their life rather than just being a plague on people; what makes him so special?

I've a sore back and i'm a grumpy fcuk - should I just go on disability too? :D

-EDIT- On the bright side, if he goes into jail next time, won't be long til' someone finds a good job for him - he'll be perfect size for suckin' off Bubba in the showers :eek:

Advertisement