Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how was your 2008?

• 24-12-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Ok, so this doesn't really have anything to do with body mods as such, and would probably, in theory, be better suited in the likes of *shudder* AH *shudder*, but it's not a site-wide question I am posing, but one to those new friends I/ we have made around these parts this year.
    So, if the almighty powers that be (aka Will ;)) decides it shouldn't be here, I would kindly request that you delete it/ lock it rather than move it. :)

Anyway, back to the matter at hand!
    Exactly what it says on the tin really. 2008 - how was it for you?
    Did the good points out weigh the bad? Did you learn something? Change in some way? Anything that you want to do better in 2009?

2007 was pretty much the worst year on record for me, so I made myself a promise this time last year that 2008 would be better. I stopped trying so hard, and just went with the flow, and had me some FUN! :D
    And just as I had hoped, 2008 was the BEST time I have ever had!

So this sums up my year:

+++:
    Spent all of Jan in THAILAND! <3
    Got my first tattoo :D
    Got a promotion.
    Also got a pay rise.
    Went to the theatre more.
    Attended many, many, MANY gigs.
    Moved into the SWEETEST (it has a cinema room...I kid you not!) apartment that overlooks Dublin City with 2 of my bestest buds :)
    Passed my driving test.
    Saw some old friends in London.
    Bought a new car.
    Spent time in Manchester with old friends and new friends :)
    Sorted things out with the boy after spending a year apart. All going MUCH better now!
    Went to my first ever drive-in movie ('Jaws' - it was AWESOME!)
    A good friend came home from Canada.
    Had muchos fun times at Cois Fharraige.
    Xmas Body Mod Boards beers! :D
    Got a new job!!! Woot!

- - -:
    Turned 26 :P

Here's to 2009 is all I can say!

Feel free to add your own experiences of 2008 :)

Merry Xmas everyone, happy new year, and happy birthday Damo! :D

x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

The sooner 2009 comes the better! this year sucked for me!

Glad to hear your 08 was better than 07 though Fii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

glad to hear ya had a great year.mine was ok. Nothing major happened good or bad. Was hoping to get sleeve finished but mental problems (depression etc) made sure i didnt get to use me voucher the lack got me :(. Didnt crash me bike this year i suppose thats a good thing lol. Started drinking way more this year which is a very bad thing especially on tablets. Roll on 09:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Sorry to hear it hasn't been good to you lads. Wasn't meaning to rub it in or ought :(
    But as the saying goes, 'the only way is up'. Hopefully 2009 brings you all sunshine and lollipops :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

hmmm 2008 had some of the best and worst experiences for me, june was a pretty ****ty month, but i learnt a lot from the bad times , and am happy atm ! soooo woot, and slighty drunk! that helps!!!

boards rawks and so do all you guys , sometimes there wins on the internet!!

merry christmas dudes ! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

cool thread Fiii :cool:

I also had a lot of ups and downs in 2008.

It started well with NYE in NYC but went a bit pete tong after that :/ The first siz months were pants tbh.

I was worried at one stage my business wouldn't survive the month let alone the year, but were still here, ok we're in loadsa debt, but were still here so yay \o/

I lost a dear friend (RIP Lynnie, missing you today :( ) and almost lost another... but shes doing brilliantly now so woop for that :)

People say that one door closes and another opens so on the other hand, have made some amazing new friends this year too :o some on this board, you know who you are <3 I also made up with an old friend after a stupid 1.5 year row so wahey to that.

I learned that you can't work all the time and need to have fun :cool: then in turn learned that you cant have fun all the time and neglect your work :rolleyes: but hopefully I'll have the balance right in 2009.

I had an amazing break away in Barcelona with the mister and have resolved to travel more in 2009.

After however many years humming and hawing over what tattoo to get, I now have three :D one of which won a very prestigious award :cool::pac::D

In no particular order - Molbert's Highlights of '08:

Tattoos
    Barcelona
    a festival that shall remain nameless
    Body Mod Christmas beers :p
    Nights out in the shaw and zaytoon
    Rum drinking on the budda bag
    new friends
    being happy/doing well at work
    Pet Expo
    Barry's crazy emails
    Making the "challenge" videos for youtube
    getting out more :cool:

I don't usually make resolutions but this year ftw I am:

1. be more organised
    2. travel loads!
    3. make more time for the people who matter
    4. clear debts
    5. eh, think thats it.. get more tattoos probably lolz

Happy Christmas boardsies <3
    You RAWK!!!
    Molberts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

2008 was pretty crap got fired,twice,got my heart broken,had a big meltdown and everything just went down hill!

2009 is gonna be amazig though!finally getting this band thing sorted,i could be moving out,and me and cupcake crisis are getting our own radio show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Lots of new ink and piercings,
    Quit my last college and started at a new course, which I love
    Started a new band, had the first gig 5 days after meeting them
    Went to London on an internet geek weekend
    Went to Amsterdam, realised it's not all it's cracked up to be. Am also now terrified of Magic Mushrooms
    Had a lot of ups and downs love-life wise. On a down part now :(
    Started going to boards beers and improving my "real" social life as well.
    And undoubtedly loads of other stuff I can't remember.

Overall, twas a very interesting year. Mostly productive and positive stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Eh this year like everyones it seems was up and down

start of the year was pants, repeating a year in college, not knowing most of them then realising some of em were twats.

Fell out with my best mate of 5 years, tried being friends again, we just called it a day and haven't spoken since. I still spy his bebo from time to time though and know his mobile number still, im a sap

Worked for 6 months with an accounting company in their IT section, realised more than ever what I wanna be, and am the closest I've been to getting it than ever before. this makes me gooey on the inside.

Got screwed around by a few girls this year too, which was unfortunate but realised that's life and to move on. was quite bitter. but now am ok thanks to someone who shall remain nameless ;)

after breaking the huge friendship with my best mate i made a few new ones, again these people know who they are

finding out that morgans spiced rum, gingerale and a dash of lime is the best drink known to man and woman alike :)

2009 should be fun

plan on running the marathon
    finishing college
    pursuing my career
    and anything and everything in between, ups and downs :)

amazing christmas beers, best one by far ive ever attended relating to boards (we are such drunken messes and im so proud) ;) :pac:

onwards and upwards folks!

Will wrote: »
    was quite bitter. but now am ok thanks to someone who shall remain nameless ;)

!
    Awww shucks:o your welcome:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Kilkenny cage fighters melt my heart :pac:

• Advertisement

I just remembered I posted this in my blog last night so here is my bit properly

The Bad 2008 Bits.
    1. Breaking up with Faye. For everyone who was around for the aftermath ya'll seen how badly I took that.
    2. Spending the next two months after said break up getting very very very very drunk.
    3.Being forced into taking over the club before I was ready
    4. Getting layed off from work twice and not being able to get a new job since...not that I've broke my back looking TBh
    5. Putting that guy into intensive care.... Sure It was funny as **** then and he did deserve it but still.
    6. Not making it over to Rhi like I planned on....Sorry :(
    7. The constant fights with people (ya know who ye are)
    8. Moving back home.
    9. Not going to ****** because the ex asked me not to since she couldn go. How stupid was I!!!!
    10: Wasting another year of my life.
    11. Thinking I was in a loving relationship instead of the farce it truely was
    12 **** all people coming out for my birthday.
    13. Growing distant from friends just because Faye didn't like them or was paranoid I'd want them over her
    14: People that move to different countries and leave me with nobody to text at half 5 in the morning.

The Epic Bits of 2008

1: finding Boards.ie and making some of the most epic mates ever!!! Next beers in jan or feb yeah guys?
    2. Making peace with the friends I was fighting with.
    3. Finally coming to terms with the break up and going back to my former self.,
    4. Doing a course I have an interest in
    5. MMA I can honestly say nothing in my life is as important to me as my sport. It's my passion.
    6. Finding awesome Epic bands like Canobliss, 5 finger death punch, Dirty Epics,Sultans of Ping and so on
    7.Finding out who my real friends are
    8. The concerts and random road trips. You people are awesome
    9. The friends that came out for my bday...and turning it into an epic 5 day drinking session
    10. The two months of drinking to get over Faye...Yeah I realise I put this in the bad bits...But drinking a few grand is pretty damn fun from what I remember...Which isn alot tbh :D
    11: Tattoo's
    12: Making some pretty awesome friends through the MMA respct and honour.
    13: Getting that competitive fire lit back under my ass after losing in dublin in front of my friends and family.

my bit properly , this thread got me thinking ha :pac:!

worst : like i said june was the worst month , got dumped on my 21st :P still had the best night ever !, win for me !! ... more crappy stuff happened but thanks to someone am learning to get stronger and get over them :)

fell out with all my close friends & family , learnt who you can trust and who you cant , realised i had the most awesome friend right under my nose and she Rawks , Yay for shoelaceface!!

Best : parents and brothers , only people you can really rely on , have some stormy times with them but that's families, and they always look out for me!:D haha like today went to the pub with my mam and little brother was brilliant fun!!

got addicted to boards somewhat , but bar one or two nutjobs , ye all rock!!

and there this boy and he makes me all smily and happy .. so shall see what happens there

and the christmas beers, was sooooo drunk(sorry:o) but was awesome fun!! haha and the train was fun to ! lol!

2009..... whatever happens happens , but im starting it with a smile on my face, so cant all be that bad!

AWESOME FREEZEFRAME HI5'S ALL ROUND!:P

emo!! wrote: »
    and there this boy and he makes me all smily and happy .. so shall see what happens there

! haha and the train was fun to ! lol!

AWESOME FREEZEFRAME HI5'S ALL ROUND!:P
    Jesus I'm just really awesome all round aren I??? :pac::cool:

Jesus I'm just really awesome all round aren I??? :pac::cool:

haha if you say so !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

If it's any consolation Raze, it took me having my worst year in 2007 to change things and have the best in 2008.
    Without going into too much detail, I pretty much hit rock bottom and had to almost start my life from scratch, EVERYTHING changed in 1 day, but I took it, learned from it and am better for it now....even if it was all kinds of shít at the time.
    Truth be told, if it hadn't all happened, I never would have had the courage to come meet you guys the other day! I am actually painfully shy around people I don't know, so coming to a pub full of them would have scared the bejaysus out of me a year ago, but now I just did it and it was FAB :D

my new years resolution: hang out with you people more ;)

ha yeah I'm painfully shy too if I'm in a group of people I dont know...unless I'm fuelled on alcohol :D

Moar beers soon!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

2008 for me: the moments so far...

*Moving out of that dive of a house - the people were lovely but the place was disgusting *shudders*
    *Moving in with the boy - really scary thought, considering a few weeks before we had a major hiccup but he's the best housemate ever. He cooks the best dinners for me.
    *Getting a new job in the same company - same great staff, only better :D
    *The birth of my nephew no. 3.
    *My brother getting married and my boyfriend coming to meet ALL my family despite his protests.
    *Going to New York on my own to see Pearl Jam in Madison Square Garden two nights in a row - obsessed much?! Meeting loads of people I hadn't seen since the year before in other random countries.
    *Passing my driving test - third time lucky!
    *My best mate moved to Australia - I have no money now to go visit her :(
    *All my other mates moving to Australia too - it's been hard to start from scratch on the aul mates front, but I have to do it :) I've met some great people in the process, I must learn not to be so feckin' scared!
    *Growing my hair long after years of having it short. Now I can just have more colours in it :D
    *Falling asleep to Anathema every night this year and going to see them in London. I'm going to try see the bands I want in other countries, cos they mostly suck in Ireland :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

best bits found boards,met some people off boards you were all so nice.Had a baby .Bby having his first Christmas aw still cant believe it. Bad bits my dad died .Still no sleeve finished this just seems to be neverending.So overall the year hasnt been to bad but hoping next year is much better.So Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year <hugs>:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

well, i think this has got to have been the most positively crazy year of my life to date, and by the looks of it, im about to start 2009 on a slightly crazier edge.

the positive
    - the very end of last year i moved to new zealand to be with the guy i fell in love with online
    - ended up working with children, which is very different to my old job working with the elderly
    - took up surfing, which is now my passion, i live for the next time i can spend time in the waves
    - surfing actually made me take up a healthier lifestyle, i drink a lot less, i make more efforts to eat food that's good for me, i do exercises almost daily to keep my fitness up and practise my pop up.
    - came home for the trip of a lifetime, saw my favourite band live, and they spoke to me by name from the stage, dedicated a song to me, kissed my hand, and i got to leave with the set list and singer's towel.
    - spent a lot of time outdoors, walking, surfing, swimming, rock climbing, hiking... it's all so beautiful
    - met some truly awesome people, and some of the people i'd've considered 'mates' this time last year, i'd consider to be 'amazing friends' this year.
    - starting on saturday, i start a new adventure in oz by myself, the plan being to live off the minimum everything, and just surf to my heart's content, to actually get good, and to base my life around my passion, instead of just basing my passion around general life stuff.

the negative
    - leaving ireland and my family and friends and whole lifestyle, was terrifyingly scary, and quite heart wrenching.
    - coming to nz, and not having or knowing anyone except my fella, was really really tough.
    - missing people at home... had one day where i was so homesick, after falling asleep on the bus, waking up and not knowing where i was, i broke down crying for about a half hour, still on the bus.
    - finding that some of hte people i considered friends weren't really. ah well, life goes on.
    - few health scares for both myself, and those im closest to, so scary days there. think most people are ok, though one person who's quite awesome will be lucky to still be alive when her son gets back from korea tomorrow. race against time tehre, which is just so sad :(

overall, it's been an amazing year. i've done so many new and scary things, completely left my comfort zone behind, and experienced so much that has just been amazing.
    it's been a good year... had hoped next year would calm down a bit, now that ive found my feet over here, but alas, my visa didnt come through, so im off to oz by myself for a few months while trying to sort a visa here, so new experience there, should be an interesting few.

hope everyone here has all the best news, experiences and fun for 2009 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

2008 was better than 2007 (which was possibly the worst year of my life) but it still wasn't great.

Hopefully things will fall into place in 2009. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement