Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pathfinder - Sky News tonight

• 24-12-2008 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Saw an ad for this the other day. Sky News are doing a special program on British soldiers in Afghanistan tonight at 9pm called 'Pathfinder'. Now that's pretty much all I know because I can hardly remember the ad and SkyNews.com, ARRSE.co.uk aren't working for me! Are they working for others?

Anyway it does look interesting and I'll be watching. I believe there will be a similar Royal Navy orientated show on Saturday called 'Perisher'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

this is what is described on tv listings on sky.com

Sky News joins the Parachute Regiment's elite reconnaissance platoon in Afghanistan, offering a 6-month insight into life on the front line.

skynews.com and arrse.co.uk are working for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I didnt watch all of it but what I did I enjoyed.
    Their recon vehicles seem great but for the reliability.
    I know its a rugged terrain but it didnt seem that bad?

Did the sky reporter mention if there were civilians in the Taliban compound they called an air strike in on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

I didnt watch all of it but what I did I enjoyed.
    Their recon vehicles seem great but for the reliability.
    I know its a rugged terrain but it didnt seem that bad?

Did the sky reporter mention if there were civilians in the Taliban compound they called an air strike in on?

It was a very good program.

It showed what soldiers are facing day in and day out over in afgstan.

As for the vehicles. They are being used by all UK ground troops as of next year. That was the first time they where used in the field.

After alot of push from the people back in the UK giving out about the old land rovers being death traps. Soon as you where hit by an IED in the land rovers everyone inside was dead.

But with the new vehicles you have a fighting chance as you see in the program, One of the Stg's was sitting in the front of the vehicle when it was hit by an IED. His legs are badly hurt but he lives to tell his story.

They are 1million each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I saw half of the feature. They seemed to have a lot of problems with American supplied ammunition for their weapons. Least the guy (who later got shot) seemed to keep referring to "yank" made ammo everytime is gun jammed. The jamming weapons seemed to be a common problem between the two vehicles featured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just thinking to myself while looking at the show last night.

We'd be fvcked there.... Why?.

We'd all be looking for "the sniper at the base of the lone bush topped tree".

Of which there were fvck all!.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Websters

BrianD wrote: »
    I saw half of the feature. They seemed to have a lot of problems with American supplied ammunition for their weapons. Least the guy (who later got shot) seemed to keep referring to "yank" made ammo everytime is gun jammed. The jamming weapons seemed to be a common problem between the two vehicles featured.

To be honest it's not so much the ammo as it is the magazines. They don't get replaced often enough and the clipping at the top can become battered and worn quite easily,this causes most misfires, the ammo seldom has anything to do with it! Plus dirt in the SA80,most of all around the magazine release button can cause all sorts of fun for the soldier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i was surprised to see 50 cals jam so much,and i thought HK had redesigned the SA80 mags? also i didn't think those Jackals provided much in the way of crew protection,the gunner got hit in the leg-not upper body which is the area i'd have imagined was most exposed?

punchdrunk wrote: »
    i was surprised to see 50 cals jam so much,and i thought HK had redesigned the SA80 mags? also i didn't think those Jackals provided much in the way of crew protection,the gunner got hit in the leg-not upper body which is the area i'd have imagined was most exposed?

Yeah the rate of fire on a .50 is the biggest problem,you go over a certain rate of rapid fire and empty cases will start sticking in the ejection port. Its not really the design of the SA80 mag thats the issue its just that they dont see a lot of replacement and a few dents here and there can cause a lot of issues. That rifle is a joke now anyway they really need to invest and get it replaced to the G36 or something modern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

The SA80 A2 is as good a weapon as it gets in terms of mass issue, forget about the earlier issues, I suspect you've never fired one in anger...

The Jackal was introduced to provide protected mobility whilst retaining contact with the civpop, it has its failings but every vehicle is a compromise... and its a damn sight better than the Snatch or the WMIK.

Guys, its a tough AO, with many constraints. All you can do is your best with the kit you're allocated - ie get the job done - no excuses.

So don't give me the fu*king armchair experts with their muzzle velocity etc... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Another show on sky news lately about the British navy training,perisiher I think its called.Havent seen it yet but might check it out.

• Advertisement

Fishtits wrote: »
    The SA80 A2 is as good a weapon as it gets in terms of mass issue, forget about the earlier issues, I suspect you've never fired one in anger...

The Jackal was introduced to provide protected mobility whilst retaining contact with the civpop, it has its failings but every vehicle is a compromise... and its a damn sight better than the Snatch or the WMIK.

Guys, its a tough AO, with many constraints. All you can do is your best with the kit you're allocated - ie get the job done - no excuses.

So don't give me the fu*king armchair experts with their muzzle velocity etc... :rolleyes:

ease up,been serving with QRL in Cat for the last few months.

Advertisement