Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Problem 24/12/08

Options
  • 24-12-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

rang Them earlier and the guy said they were having dns issues and they were awaiting a part and should be fixed within 30min, that was at 2.50, now he didnt tell me they close at 3. I am even trying to use Opendns which is running buggy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yes Im using UTV BB (1mb) and it seems very slow! Some sites dont work like Sky News, BBC, a lot of pictures dont show up in news articles from my RSS feed. I just put it down to something like those undersea cables being cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Yeah same problem. Couldn't get onto any irish/english sites earlier. Now just seems to be some english.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah its Dns issue's.I am Using Opendns now and some sites still dont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Same problem here. Royal pain in the hole if its not sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Came on here to see if anyone else was having the same problem.

Anyone give me a quick explanation on how to use different DNS servers.

Am using a Linksys router but it doesn't seem to give me the option to change DNS servers. Have it set to PPPoE for basic setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

What model router are you using? I just did it on a Liksys WRT-54GS

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah came on here this morning when i first noticed the problem and didnt see any mention of it so just tought it was myself and it would go away later in the day..but yeah having the same problem..i can ping google using my "cmd" line and it resolves the name to an ip address which im not sure it would do if there was a problem with the dns.. it comes back with reults showing it connecting and getting pings but when trying to access it through my browser it keeps trying to connect to the site like it cant get a connection with it..only a few sites including boards here i am able to get on..

hopefully it can be fixed today..instead of having to wait through the holidays to get the internet back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sheridan

Same problem. Been using OpenDNS since UTV's last great DNS cock-up (when their expert advice was..."Use OpenDNS." Can't access a lot of sites. I suppose their customer service is going to be non-existent over Christmas, given that it's more or less non-existent at the best of times.

Conor108 wrote: »
    What model router are you using? I just did it on a Liksys WRT-54GS

WRT-54GC

Can't seem to find anywhere to enter alternative DNS servers.

There's nothing on the basic setup page anyways.

Here's a desktop picture of my basic setup page: http://s5.tinypic.com/2v2in4m.jpg

Assuming your using Xp you can just do this:

1. Select Control Panel from the Start menu.
    2. Click Network Connections from the Control Panel choices.
    3. Choose your connection from the Network Connections window.
    4. Click Properties button.
    5. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.
    6. Click the radio button Use the following DNS server addresses and type in OpenDNS addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server fields.

Preferred DNS server address for Open DNS is:
    Alternate DNS server address for Open DNS is:

Or Else:

Visit here: https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start/device/linksys

WRT-54GC

Can't seem to find anywhere to enter alternative DNS servers.

There's nothing on the basic setup page anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Having the same problem here - half of the internet seems to be inaccessible, even when using openDNS. Can't get to google, eurogamer.net, BBC News, etc.

Great timing :rolleyes:

Yeah i cant access MSN either, Well i cant access 3rd party ones on my mac(the Proper msn messenger sucks) I had the same problem with Digiweb last christmas was gone for 5 days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm having the same problems also, hope they get it sorted soon; my connection was working so well upto about Sunday:(

Assuming your using Xp you can just do this:

1. Select Control Panel from the Start menu.
    2. Click Network Connections from the Control Panel choices.
    3. Choose your connection from the Network Connections window.
    4. Click Properties button.
    5. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.
    6. Click the radio button Use the following DNS server addresses and type in OpenDNS addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server fields.

Preferred DNS server address for Open DNS is:
    Alternate DNS server address for Open DNS is:

Tried that and then nothing works. Can't even connect to boards.ie then :(

I am using this at the moment:

Seems alot faster and can access all sites.

Also these:

Spoke to soon, Now google wont work with them either.I think Utv broke the internet.

I am using this at the moment:

Seems alot faster and can access all sites.

Also these:

Thanks

Both seem to work as good as the UTV DNS servers.

No matter what I do I can't connect to the likes of BBC etc though.

Had news.bbc up briefly. No sign since though. Nice little Christmas present from UTV, two more fingers up to their users after years of the same. Don't imagine it'll be fixed before the New Year.

Yeah its weird i am back to opendns and google was working fine, now nothing. UTV were aware of the problem before closing time today which closed at 3, and apparently knew the problem, So unless its fixed in the next few hours,DODGY internet for xmas it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Same problems here too.

I get the feeling it mightn't be a DNS problem though? (seeing as at least two or three different DNS addresses give the same problem)

As long as Skype will work, otherwise Xmas is ruined ;) Has anyone tried it?

• Advertisement

Just got the BBC News frontpage open using UTV DNS servers.

Wierd cos i am downloading from usenet at full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Getting BBC News here now. Still plenty of other stuff broken though.

Via Utv DNS?
    Stephen wrote: »
    Getting BBC News here now. Still plenty of other stuff broken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Im having the same problems here too, used openDNS but to no avail. Would have to happen on xmas eve too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Same problem here. Been using OpenDNS servers for over a year now with UTV, thought I could avoid this kind of crap. There was a short 10 minute window earlier on today around 14:30 when it was going grand, but otherwise half of the internet has been timing out or just crawling along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Very strange problem alright, it's like the connection is going up and down, I think it's more than just a problem with the UTV DNS, I've been using opendns for ages now so that shouldn't be affected by UTV dns server.

I'm getting on again off again results with all DNS server that I try. Still, the connection to Paddy Power poker seems fine (played for an hour with no problems but couldn't surf at the same time).

Hope UTV stump up some serious overtime pay for this to fixed asap.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hope UTV stump up some serious overtime pay for this to fixed asap.
    Two chances of that happening, Sconsey...

Paddypower's working fine for me (just a pity there's nothing to bet on!) but can't login to bet365. I reckon it's definitely some class of a DNS problem, albeit an unconventional one.

Yeah I download from Usenet at 780k and after awhile drops to about 5k and then back to 780k....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Same problems here - I tried ringing them this morning and the tech guy kept insisting on taking me throught the lengthy stock protocol: 'What lights can you see on your modem?' etc etc. That is so INFURIATING! I had no broadband for hours yesterday either. He refused to acknowledge that there was a problem with UTV and kept repeating the above. I thanked him for his help and hung up :mad:
    I now can't send any emails via Outlook, although I can receive them - can't get my Gmail account up either :( I changed my DNS some time ago to Open DNS - would using some other option help now? Has anyone verified that Skype will work? This year was to be my first time to try it and contact my daughter in Laos - bang goes that chance, it would appear.

Advertisement