Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 24-12-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All. Got eircom broadband installed the other day abd i'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to secure the wireless route as i haven't a clue.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

turn off wireless and use network cables instead , secure as ya likes

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

netvista wrote: »
    Hi All. Got eircom broadband installed the other day abd i'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to secure the wireless route as i haven't a clue.
    By default, it isn't. Not only is WEP weak, but the default codes have come onto the internet. Change the security setting, pick WPA, and throw in a 22 digit password using lower and upper case, as well as a few numbers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Access the router by connecting by ethernet to http://192.168.1.254 that will take you to the settings page - you will find the wireless and security settings there change security type to wpa; change the name of the wireless network to something you like yourself:); set a password; save your settings and enjoy your internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

the_syco wrote: »
    By default, it isn't. Not only is WEP weak, but the default codes have come onto the internet. Change the security setting, pick WPA, and throw in a 22 digit password using lower and upper case, as well as a few numbers.

All the new modems come with wpa enabled with a 15-20 digit password on them. The password is underneath your modem op. I would second the spongebobs advise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

..i had to scour the net to find a driver update for my Pro Intel Wireless 2100 that enabled WPA option in the properties of my network connection. WPA2 PSK to be precise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

thanks all. i don't know if they have a new router or not as my sister gave them their old one. i'll have a look and get back to you on what the score is

Advertisement