Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blonde or brunette?

Options
  • 24-12-2008 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hiya!

Hope ye don't mind a (relative) newbie coming on here but figured this would be a good place to get some input! I've been blonde the last few years and have gotten to the point where I really want a change, so am going back to my natural, dark brown colour. Was chatting to a friend about this the other day who's been both, and she reckons that as a blonde she got more attention but not always in a good way-according to her, men are alot quicker to assume you're up for it and quicker to make derogatory comments, whereas as a brunette people look at her differently...the whole thing got me thinking and I can't say I've noticed to be honest, firstly because I can't even remember what it's like to be darker and so have no comparison, but also because I have several friends who are absolutely stunning brunettes and get far more attention than any blonde among us!

I'm just interested to find out what everyone thinks? Do you find people treat you differently depending on your hair colour?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Most people actually prefer, or claim to prefer, brown. The reason for this is fairly confusing but also rather simple; most people are pretty stupid, they look at how blonde is celebrated to the media, immediately assoiate it with trash culture, and think they're somehow more refined for prefering dark hair. Brown is much more common and much duller. Some very rich browns, and reddish browns look nice, but they're very obviously dyed so I doubt your "Natural" colour is close to that.

If you want a "change" why are you going back to a colour you no doubt had for many years before going blonde? Try going to ginger or black or something entirely out of left field. Or maybe a different shade of blonde, or even white/silver, or stripes of all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I honestly don't think that men think that much about a womans hair colour and what it means.

I think that women think that men think about their hair colour and what it means but as with most things, men think a lot less about it than women think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

From a male perspective I prefer a brunette to take home to the mother. Nothing wrong with blondes but there is too many of them ! Waltz into Peter Mark and about 80% of the staff are all blonde. Thats what woman see when they go to the salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I have naturally light to mid brown hair, it's been dyed a more definite mid brown for the past year or two, and I recently darkened it using a semi to a dark brown with a plum-y tint, and I have to say I feel far more attractive since.

It's all personal perspective. It's your hair, you'll only feel as confident as you are. The magic of hair colour is that regardless of what colour you go, you can change it to something completely different within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

red/brunnette > all tbh.

that being said it's not like i can be fussy like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

redout wrote: »
    From a male perspective I prefer a brunette to take home to the mother. Nothing wrong with blondes but there is too many of them ! Waltz into Peter Mark and about 80% of the staff are all blonde. Thats what woman see when they go to the salon.

And brunettes aren't more common? The only reason you don't notice is that brown hair doesn't stand out at all. Dull brown hair is twice as common as bleached/dyed blonde hair, and certainly a lot more common than blonde hair done tastefully. There's a lot more variance with bleached/dyed blonde too than "Natural" brown hair too, it can be everything from a darker golden colour to almost white, as well as varying tints and levels of vibrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Neither. Red is the nicest and is the greatest crowd pleaser imho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Most people actually prefer, or claim to prefer, brown. The reason for this is fairly confusing but also rather simple; most people are pretty stupid, they look at how blonde is celebrated to the media, immediately assoiate it with trash culture, and think they're somehow more refined for prefering dark hair.

This is definitely true; the amount of guys I know who say they prefer brunettes just because they think they are being different; when in fact most men say the same thing! Then you see these same guys out at night and they are chasing after blondes.

To give a mans perspective:

The first thing I notice about a girl, other than her body size, is her hair, primarily the colour. Most girls I like tend to have blonde hair but then again some of the very best looking girls I know have black hair, so I don't think I have an preference even though its the most important thing; its either nice or it isn't.

Having said that I'm certain blondes would get more attention for the simple reason is they stand out a lot more, its easy to notice a blonde and you automatically think "i bet shes hot." But like someone said there's nothing much more to it than that and most men don't use hair as a guide to personality or how likely she will go home with him. If you want more obvious attention from strangers in pubs and clubs and lots of it then stay blonde; but other than that I think you'll find most guys don't have a preference once you start talking to them.

In your original post, you suggested the attention was a positive thing and you don't have a problem with people making derogatory comments so no real need for a change if thats all that matters.

Of course, thats all just a mans perspective, and i'm sure your hair means more than just what fellas you attract, in which case you may decide to change for all the other girly reasons that girls change their hair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Both.

No gingers, except moonbaby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Brunette, think a lot of guys claim to like blonde ones only because its what "every other guy thinks as attractive". Bull**** imo. Not saying blonde not nice, but Brunette is equally if not more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Good question actually OP, and having been both, I can see both sides of the coin. Imho blondes get more attention, not necessarily the right attention, but attention nonetheless. I guess its up to the hair owner to filter through the admirers to decide who is and isn't worthy of pursuing (meh, what's new??).

Its come to a point now where I've had to decide what I prefer, coz at the end of the day, my opinion is really the one that counts most. I *love* being blonde. It brightens my face, makes my eyes stand out and generally makes me feel brighter and a little happier - being brunette always tended to make me super-serious. I've recently gone from a muted blonde to platinum blonde and it's the best thing I could have done - my hari is fun, exciting and a reflection of the slightly more mad side of my personality. And hell yeah, when I feel like being a little Marilyn about things, I can!!

If guys want to make the assumption that as I'm blonde I must therefore also be thick, then that's their perogative, and their problem. I have great fun in disproving them.

In short, which colour guys prefer is no longer of any conseuqence to me anymore - I am who I am, and I decide which colour is more "me". That colour happens to be blonde. Bright, colourful, exciting, playful blonde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Peared wrote: »
    I honestly don't think that men think that much about a womans hair colour and what it means.

I think that women think that men think about their hair colour and what it means but as with most things, men think a lot less about it than women think they do.

i do

i prefer brunetts or dark haired women i think they look more elegent, aposed to blondes who look good but dark haired women are more jun a sa qua but red heads are my weekness :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

g'em wrote: »

If guys want to make the assumption that as I'm blonde I must therefore also be thick, then that's their perogative, and their problem. I have great fun in disproving them.
    I take it you're blonde at the moment?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭caridee2

In your original post, you suggested the attention was a positive thing and you don't have a problem with people making derogatory comments so no real need for a change if thats all that matters.

Didn't mean it to come across that way at all, not too sure how you got that from my original post! My friend reckoned the attention was not all positive as a blonde; I was wondering what people's opinions on it are. I've been on the receiving end of derogatory comments in clubs before and it's not pleasant at all; it can totally destroy a night actually so I'd definately have a problem with it! Sorry just wanted to clear that up in case I was misinterpreted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

g'em wrote: »

So did Marilyn Monroe. She really plays with this. Like a true siren, she is both seducing and mocking her audience.

As a side note, blonde reflects the light and will therefore draw in the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Peared wrote: »

I have black hair, and 90% of the time, when I meet someone new, he'll remark on the colour and lenght of my hair within the first five minutes. Its happened several times this week alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I don't think it makes much of a difference what colour hair you have. The main thing if you're happy with whatever colour you have. Some lads like blondes, some like brunettes etc etc. I wouldn't say fellas link a woman's personality to their hair colour. Well the lads I know don't anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I like being brunette, but it tends to lighten a bit, especially during summers at the beach. Don't think it makes a difference. Staying physically fit, how you carry yourself, dress, and interact with the lads is more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I've had black hair for the last 13 years and everyone says it suits me but i would love to be blonde. Even when walking down the road its the blondes that catch my eye, from a standing out point of view. There is something quite dreary about my particular colour anyway, its not shiny or glossy.

I have been blonde in fact i am naturally fair, but i forget what its like to be blonde :o

Yet i do think some of the most beautiful women (celebs) in the world are brunettes, thats because the colour suits them though and they have all the money at their disposal for professional treatments/products and the best hairdressers in the world to make their hair look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

My hair is naturally dirty blonde and is highlighted, last Christmas i went brown and people i knew passed me on the street becuaei looked so different. i am now back to blonde, all my friends said they prefer it. My boyfriend bless him said it was nice both ways! I only lasted brown three days and had to use eyebrow pencil as my eyebrows are blonde too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Brunette all the way. Well its my natural colour even though I dye it a sort of mahogany shade. Dont think blond would suit me but would love to see what its like for a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I'm naturally (strawberry) blonde and I recently died it dark red. I much prefer it this way, though I'm not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'm a sort of chestnut brown, depending on the sunlight you can see tints.
    I've never ever dyed my hair. And I'd never want to be blonde, I don't believe it'd suit me (I've very pale skin) and I like my brown hair, I wouldn't want black either.
    If anything I'd go for red tones, or steal S&Mbarbies hair!

Most guys I've been with have liked my hair, like the length/softness etc. As most posters say, it's more to do with you yourself, if you carry yourself with confidence, your hair colour won't matter so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I'm Swedish/Irish, and was raised in Australia. I'm a natural blonde and I can't imagine being another colour. People do tend to assume that I'm not that bright sometimes, usually because they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

My hair is naturally almost black but I have been getting it done blonde for the past 3 years. I will never be dark again. When I am dark, I feel like a plain Jane, and it makes my skin look really washed out.
    The only time I liked having dark hair was when I went through a bad phase at the age of 15/16 but this was because I felt it tied in with how I felt at the time.
    I get equal amounts of attention as a blonde or a brunette, and the men are the same types. No one treats me like I'm stupid since I went blonde, the only difference I've noticed is that I get asked for I.D. a lot more now than when I was dark (and underage!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I've got sort of auburn hair. I'd love to try blonde but I never will because my hair is too delicate and I would look like a moron. But I think being blonde would be a lot of fun, if only for the change.

PillyPen wrote: »
    I've got sort of auburn hair. I'd love to try blonde but I never will because my hair is too delicate and I would look like a moron. But I think being blonde would be a lot of fun, if only for the change.
    Don't ever dye your hair there's girls who would love your hair colour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LilOc

I've got very dark brown / black hair and would like to highlight them but i'll never be able to. Because the big concern with my hair is first getting it straightened and not too dry looking so i'll never be able to play with perms and colors etc... Maybe through hair extensions but even this would hurt it i think. :(

I hate my hair.

Appart from that i like being a brunette but i'd still like to be able to experiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

thermo66 wrote: »
    Don't ever dye your hair there's girls who would love your hair colour!!

Aww, thanks! It isn't really auburn, but it isn't totally brown either. (Saying it's auburn make me feel more special, basically! :pac:)

• Advertisement

PillyPen wrote: »
    Aww, thanks! It isn't really auburn, but it isn't totally brown either. (Saying it's auburn make me feel more special, basically! :pac:)
    i love auburn its cool and the hardest to achieve and maintain as it always turns to mud after a few washes!

Advertisement