Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blonde or brunette?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Dark hair for myself,

dont get me wrong, there are some really hot girls with blond/red hair, but auburn/brown/black hair looks more really sometimes.

saying that now, a friend of mine has red hair, and has dyed/added/? extra red, so its more vivid, and she looks stunning with it

dark-red-blond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

My two cents:
    Maybe cause I look mediterranean but irish guys they use to say they love my hair colour (which is naturally darkdark brown)...My experience is a good dark colour is more appreciated here, a bit the opposite than in Italy (where I'm from), where a blonde head (or at least one that doesn't look too fake) is probably more popular...I think it's also a bit a mater of "exotism" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I have black hair, and 90% of the time, when I meet someone new, he'll remark on the colour and lenght of my hair within the first five minutes. Its happened several times this week alone.

I'm the same. I have the blackest black hair you can get, lol. It's something people (men/women) comment on a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm naturally fair, and get highlights in winter otherwise it looks a little murky.

Blonde is all i've ever known, so my world view is skewed, but my experience has been that it can be viewed as a subspecies, guys have dated me and when they were talking to their friends it was all "lads, i've got a new girlfriend, a blonde". 'blonde' somehow became all and everything i was - i'd have preferred to be described as 'nice/funny/sweet/whatever' - anything but the hair colour which is an accident of genetics.

Occasionally in (shortlived) relationships i felt like a trophy "ahh, love, wear your hair down, it looks lovely" being paraded around as a status symbol with the possesive arm around me. :(

That said, I enjoy getting highlights - like g'em, I like the glow it gives me, catching the reflection of my brighter hair in a shop window makes me smile and puts a bit of a spring in my step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

caridee2 wrote: »
    she reckons that as a blonde she got more attention

Always laugh when people say this. If you wore a suit made of fish-scales you would also get more attention, but people aren't nessecarily laughing with you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Does it not generally depend on whether or not the hair colour suits you? I was a brunette/redhead for years and looked far too pale, I'm blonde now and think it suits me a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sunstar

im a natural redhead, its a sort of coppery colour!it certainly attracts attention from people but then sometimes you read or hear these negative things half messing.so not funny!:eek:.and this is coming from people who are a slave to the the hair dye.as if they can talk like.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Does it not generally depend on whether or not the hair colour suits you? I was a brunette/redhead for years and looked far too pale, I'm blonde now and think it suits me a lot more.

This is what I think - go with what suits you/what you feel best wearing (what's more you, maybe)

I've never touched my hair ith hair dye because I think my hair suits me. It's sort of auburn-y. It's brown with red and blonde tints, which sounds really odd, but it's not. My hair changes colour depending on the light, which I really like, and so I don't dye it. But that's just it, my hair is 'me', it suits me. I really couldn't care less if people prefer blondes or brunettes or anyone else! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

No point having the hair if you dont have the personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bellydancer19

I think that most blondes look the same but I notice they definately get more attention than brunettes even though every girl that I think is gorgeous whether famous or walking down the street seems to be brunette. But it also depends on the place. If you are in california..you won't stand out that much as a blonde because there are way too many of them there. But in New york which is where i live, there arent that many in my area. My sister is a blonde and yes she has a very pretty face but many people say we look exactly alike except the hair (I'm medium brunette) but when i walk next to her, she gets basically all the looks. I was walking with her in the mall the other day(and there were literally no other blondes in the mall), and guys eyes went right to her and they didnt even know I existed when I was walking slightly behind her so yes guys eyes def go right to blondes especially if there arent a lot in the same area but that does not necessarily mean they are prettier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Matt3

My sister is a blonde and yes she has a very pretty face but many people say we look exactly alike except the hair (I'm medium brunette) but when i walk next to her, she gets basically all the looks. I was walking with her in the mall the other day(and there were literally no other blondes in the mall), and guys eyes went right to her and they didnt even know I existed when I was walking slightly behind her so yes guys eyes def go right to blondes especially if there arent a lot in the same area but that does not necessarily mean they are prettier.
    Personally as a guy, i'd prefer brunettes to blondes...and a lot of my male friends would be of the same opinion.

I get what you're saying, in that a lot of guys would be more inclined to look at a good-looking blonde girl if she passed by, but for me i'd prefer a brunette any day, they look classier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I think darker hair is far more attractive. I've always preferred very dark-brown/black and chestnut shades, because I think these shades are more attractive in themselves and also because of the way they react to light. Any hairdresser will tell you the darker a persons hair is the better it reflects light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I think natural blonde hair is special because it's rare. I had a roommate who had natural light blonde hair and it was really gorgeous, like cornsilk. She was of Swedish descent (but raised in Miami and spoke with a Cuban accent - very funny to listen and watch her get angry).
    I think dyed blonde is for girls who have a dull hair color (usually the kind that was blonde when they were children and darkened as they got older) and/or have a plain face they'd like to distract attention from. Dark hair and pale skin creates a great contrast that really brings out the face, which is great for a pretty face. But if the face is more plain, blonde can soften the contrast and draw the eye to the hair instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I think natural blonde hair is special because it's rare. I had a roommate who had natural light blonde hair and it was really gorgeous, like cornsilk. She was of Swedish descent (but raised in Miami and spoke with a Cuban accent - very funny to listen and watch her get angry).
    I think dyed blonde is for girls who have a dull hair color (usually the kind that was blonde when they were children and darkened as they got older) and/or have a plain face they'd like to distract attention from. Dark hair and pale skin creates a great contrast that really brings out the face, which is great for a pretty face. But if the face is more plain, blonde can soften the contrast and draw the eye to the hair instead.

True, but the combination of black hair and meditereanen skin is nice too. I'm part Swedish, and natural blonde, and the difference in the bleached look is a bit obvious, especially when the brows aren't lightened to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

True, but the combination of black hair and meditereanen skin is nice too. I'm part Swedish, and natural blonde, and the difference in the bleached look is a bit obvious, especially when the brows aren't lightened to match.

Oh I agree. I used dark hair and pale skin as a primary example because this is an Irish board and most of the Irish I know have pale skin. But dark hair and olive skin is very nice as well.
    I absolutely hate it when the brows don't match the hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DutchStudent

caridee2 wrote: »
    Hiya!

I'm just interested to find out what everyone thinks? Do you find people treat you differently depending on your hair colour?!

guys do the think blond is dum (beaty )and brunetts are cleaver (brains) but that rubbish you are who you want to be:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShineadyRyan

You should find the colour that looks better on you!! I'm naturally brown but I went blonde in September and everyone says that it suits me so much better than my brown hair. I would love to go back to brown hair or even go darker to a dark chesnut brown but I know it won't suit me at all. All girls are different....a girl can look stunning as a brunette but horrible blonde...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭caridee2

People do tend to assume that I'm not that bright sometimes.

I've got that before too. Was introduced to a friend of a friend one night and he asked me what I did. Told him I was doing a Masters and his reply was "Are you serious? Sorry the blonde just kind of threw me".

End of conversation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

thermo66 wrote: »
    Don't ever dye your hair there's girls who would love your hair colour!!

I always hate when people say this. Her dying her hair isn't going to somehow stop someone else from having her hair.

Natural blonde isn't rare, just natural light blonde. And even then IMO bleach blonde looks more striking. Bleach blonde hair done right is actually pretty rare.

What I dislike is how people limit themselves to "Natural" haircolours. To me it's like only ever wearing 4 colours of jumper, black brown orange or gold, and some subtle variants thereof. It may be a little more extreme, but it's mostly down to people considerng it taboo, wrongly associating it with maturity.

If you're really having trouble finding a hair colour that suits you, don't discount your pinks and purples and blues. While not exactly "unnatural" white and silver can look very pretty if you can do it and shouldn't get you into trouble with any jobs(not that any of them should).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I always hate when people say this. Her dying her hair isn't going to somehow stop someone else from having her hair.

When people say that they're just trying to make you appreciate what you've got. It helps people get out of the "grass is always greener" mindset sometimes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Yeah i realise that but she has a fabulous natural colour that is hard to achieve so it would be a pity to dye over it with blonde highlights that are so common. Chill out i'm only giving my opinion the girl can do what she wants. Jeez!

thermo66 wrote: »
    Yeah i realise that but she has a fabulous natural colour that is hard to achieve so it would be a pity to dye over it with blonde highlights that are so common. Chill out i'm only giving my opinion the girl can do what she wants. Jeez!

Well, that's subjective. She might not consider it "Fabulous", so it doesn't matter all that much. It probably doesn't stand out that much in real life anyway, and just looks sort of brown, which is much more common than blonde.

Well aren't you just full of the joys! As i said its up to her i'm giving my opinion nothing else. I happen to like the auburn colour hair. And it is 'fabulous' . Goodnight

1) I'm not dying my hair anyway, it's too dry
    2) I took it as a very nice compliment that someone said auburn is enviable
    3) My hair IS fabulous, thankyouverymuch!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, deep breaths everybody, no need to get worked up over this.

PillyPen wrote: »
    1) I'm not dying my hair anyway, it's too dry
    2) I took it as a very nice compliment that someone said auburn is enviable
    3) My hair IS fabulous, thankyouverymuch!
    ha ha well said pillypen ! Some people are very cross tonight :)

Zaph wrote: »
    OK, deep breaths everybody, no need to get worked up over this.

Zaph, this is hair we're discussing here. Very important business. Next you'll be telling us to simma down when we're debating accessories. :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

PillyPen wrote: »
    Zaph, this is hair we're discussing here. Very important business. Next you'll be telling us to simma down when we're debating accessories. :D:pac:

Accessories? :confused:

• Advertisement

Both.

No gingers, except moonbaby.

Your only being let away with that because it is important that someone spreads the ginger genes to catch out the unsuspecting antis.

Advertisement