Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa vs Arsenal the battle for 4th

• 24-12-2008 7:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

aston-villa-crest.jpg vs arsenal_crest.gif
    Venue: Villa Park Date: Friday, 26 December
    Kick-off: 1715 GMT

Aston Villa (from): Friedel, Cuellar, Laursen, Davies, L Young, Milner, Sidwell, Petrov, Barry, A Young, Agbonlahor, Reo-Coker, Knight, Shorey, Harewood, Gardner, Salifou, Osbourne, Guzan.

Arsenal (from): Almunia, Sagna, Nasri, Gallas, Djourou, Clichy, Denilson, Song, Diaby, Wilshere, Eboue, Fabianski, Vela, Ramsey, Van Persie, Bendtner, Toure, Silvestre.

...................Almunia..................

Sagna.......Djouru......Gallas........Clichy

Diaby.....Denilson........Song........Nasri

..........Bendtner.......Van Persie..........

vs

.......................Friedel....................

L.Young/NRC..Davies..Cuellar..L.Young/Shorey

.......Sidwell.......Petrov......Barry...........

J.Milner..............................A.Young
    .....................Gabby.....................

Injured/Suspended: (Aston Villa) Carew, Laursen, Bouma, (Arsenal) Fabergas Adebayor, Walcott, Rosicky etc..

Villa are the only real team expected to have a chance of breaking the "big four's" monopoly on the CL places this year and Arsenal are the team that might just lose one of those places. in 5th place and judging by their form so far this year and the fact that Villa who are currently 3rd already beat them 2-0 at the Emirates, Arsenal desperatley need a resulty at Villa Park and this is simply a huge game for all concerned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

If RVP doesn't perform Arsenal are in big big trouble, I can see a draw though however.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its a biggie alright.
    im gonna go with a score draw, either 1-1 or 2-2. i have a bet on villa down to come 4th this season, a good mate has done the same (and shes a villa fan) this season so villa are my "2nd team" this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Think Aston Villa have this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Arsenal are at their most dangerous when their written off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Depends on Fabregas and Wenger's transfer buys. It's up to them to lose still I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm going to go with the Gunners. they've had no problem living up to expectations in the big games this season, it's the smaller teams they struggle with. possibly a 2 - 1. it will be a tight affair no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think so much of this game will depend on whether Cueller is fit, if not Zat Knight will be playing alongside Davies and we all know how much of a hinderance he can be when it comes to winning matchs.

Villa should win this, but I don't believe they will, I think score draw is most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

PHB wrote: »
    Depends on Fabregas and Wenger's transfer buys. It's up to them to lose still I think.

Fabregas won't have much input from the Physio Room.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I honestly dont know how this game will go cos as Arsenal showed against Man Utd (who iirc they were missing RVP, fabs and co for) and Chelsea they can raise their game and get 3points when the presssure is on. Combine that with the fact that Villa oddly are better away from home because opponents leave more gaps in defense as they are more likely to attack Villa away from Villa Park, and the fact that Villa captain and rock Martin Laursen is going to miss his first Premiership game in the past season and a half... so it aint exactley all negative for Arsenal and positive for Villa despite how it may seem.

im going to predict a 1-1 draw thanks to RVP and Gabby

but hope for a 2-1 villa win with Sidwell getting the winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Come on Villa!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

laursen defo out for this one?? why??

ive heard talk of NRC starting at RB and Luke Young continuing at LB. Despite Reo-Coker keeping Ronaldo quiet in his last outing at RB that surely would destroy Shoreys confidence.

Really hope Cuellar is fit to replace Laursen also as Knight simply isnt good enough for the first team, although as far as fourth choice CBs go there are probably only 2/3 better than him in the league.

mormank wrote: »
    laursen defo out for this one?? why??

its his knee again, he should only miss this game but after his previous knee problems we are taking zero chances with the great dane.

ya ye are only too right not to takeany risks with him. top player imo. only question marks were obviously his fitness but a fully fit laursen would improve most backlines or at least give the partnership a real sweat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Macker1 wrote: »
    Fabregas won't have much input from the Physio Room.

yeah i dont think PHB realises this is a match thread

ya ye are only too right not to takeany risks with him. top player imo. only question marks were obviously his fitness but a fully fit laursen would improve most backlines or at least give the partnership a real sweat!!

true i actually think people have often undervalued him the past 2 seasons because of his prior injuries. Last season for me he was one of the best CB's in the premiership and I would have had him in my best Prem XI, especially when you consider that he played every single premiership game last season for Villa.

im curious as to who will captain either side?

NRC if he starts or maybe even Gareth Barry if he doesent with Davies probably 4th choice captain for Villa.

Almunia would be my guess for Arsenal without Fabergas, doubt they would revert to Gallas
    yeah i dont think PHB realises this is a match thread

tbh i probably should have given it a slightly different title although this thread i suppose could act as both match thread and Champions league challenge thread if needed

true i actually think people have often undervalued him the past 2 seasons because of his prior injuries. Last season for me he was one of the best CB's in the premiership and I would have had him in my best Prem XI, especially when you consider that he played every single premiership game last season for Villa.

im curious as to who will captain either side?

NRC if he starts or maybe even Gareth Barry if he doesent with Davies probably 4th choice captain for Villa.

Almunia would be my guess for Arsenal without Fabergas, doubt they would revert to Gallas

ya good point about captains. rare occasion where both teams have a somewhat disgraced ex captain startin with the new captains out...villa might revert to luke young tho if its just one game as he was charlton captain, or maybe barry if he wants to mend relations...almunia seems the obvious choice for aresnal as he has goten it every other time...i would like to see wenger maybe give it to gallas as a sign of faith or solidarity or whatever but i doubt he will...i mean sammi always got it at the pool when captain and vice captain were out and he was kindastripped of it also back in the day

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i mean sammi always got it at the pool when captain and vice captain were out and he was kindastripped of it also back in the day

It wasn't a public de-pantsing like both Barry and Gallas - we won't get into a big argument but they are fairly different situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Venue: Villa Park Date: Friday, 26 December

...................Almunia..................

Sagna.......Djouru......Gallas........Clichy

Diaby.....Denilson........Song........Nasri

..........Bendtner.......Van Persie..........

vs

.......................Friedel....................

L.Young/NRC..Davies..Cuellar..L.Young/Shorey

.......Sidwell.......Petrov......Barry...........

J.Milner..............................A.Young
    .....................Gabby.....................
    I'm curious why you named the Arsenal team first when Villa are the home team? Pet hate ;)

Savman wrote: »
    I'm curious why you named the Arsenal team first when Villa are the home team? Pet hate ;)

simply tried to work out their starting line up first cos i was fairly sure i and everyone knew Villa's (MON doesent change his team unless he has to) but that Arsenals might take some thought, id say I might have got it right tho cos in the end naming the Arsenal team seemed to have actually been easier as atleast we know which of their players are injured or not (Cuellar) and that they will play a RB at RB and a LB at LB (wengers funny like that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I really cant call this game and am every worried even thinking about it.
    I think Villa have the better chance of winning it tbf, Arsenal are in a shambles atm.
    We'll be playing a CM on the right no matter what by the looks of it...

Frisbee wrote: »
    I really cant call this game and am every worried even thinking about it.
    I think Villa have the better chance of winning it tbf, Arsenal are in a shambles atm.
    We'll be playing a CM on the right no matter what by the looks of it...

Wenger could always play Eboue there, though i expect Diaby.

also strangley it seems the neutrals are actually more confident of a Villa victory than Villa fans are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

yeah play eboue please

Wenger could always play Eboue there, though i expect Diaby.

also strangley it seems the neutrals are actually more confident of a Villa victory than Villa fans are.

I feel more confident of a Villa result too... :pac:
    Samurai wrote: »
    yeah play eboue please

I really have very little time for Eboue, but I'd rather him play on the right than Denilson...

Frisbee wrote: »
    I feel more confident of a Villa result too... :pac:

maybe just Villa fans arent letting ourselves be too confident pre-match but damn if we do get the win we will be 6 points ahead of Arsenal with these fixtures next:

Hull (A)
    WBA (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Portsmouth (A)
    Wigan (H)
    Blackburn (A)

and considering we are currently top of the form league and better away from home atm they all look winnable

maybe just Villa fans arent letting ourselves be too confident pre-match but damn if we do get the win we will be 6 points ahead of Arsenal with these fixtures next:

Hull (A)
    WBA (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Portsmouth (A)
    Wigan (H)
    Blackburn (A)

and considering we are currently top of the form league and better away from home atm they all look winnable

It'll be yours to lose if that happens. Something I cant see happening with MON most likely strengthening in the transfer window while Wenger watches Veloso toddle off to Fiorentina for a sum we could easily afford... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Everything is pointing at Villa for this match but I have a feeling that Arsenal will take this one.. I felt that same before the United and Chelsea matches..

Will defo be an interesting match..

when everything points to a Villa win is when we usually screw up (see Newcastle and Middlesboro for examples), thats why im still not fully confident, not used to expecting to win against teams like Arsenal.

and yeah unlike when Gregory had us top at Christmass, i do believe that Lerner & O'Neil will invest again in January trying to secure 4th spot so we dont just slide down the table like Gregory's men did.

mayordenis wrote: »
    It wasn't a public de-pantsing like both Barry and Gallas - we won't get into a big argument but they are fairly different situations.

no need for an argument. of course they are different. however he was suffering poor form atthe time and was relieved of his duties for a 23 year old when perhaps it was a season or two premature i.e.gerrard got the captaincy due to sammi being relieved as opposed to sammi being relieved because liverpools true captain has been found!! although it worked out well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'll take a draw, Laursen is our rock at the back and will be missed badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Villain wrote: »
    I'll take a draw, Laursen is our rock at the back and will be missed badly.

Rock and auxillary striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I'd go for a draw here, one thing to point out is that we were extremely lucky to get 6 points out of the last two match's deserved 2 if not 1!

Its time for a super performance to solidify that place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

I'd love to see Villa take it! Could we be saying the Big Five this time next year? That'd be awesome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd love to see Villa win however this could be a 0-0.
    Hopefully Villa play like they did in the second half in the same fixture last season when they just got stuck in to them and rattled Arsenal, if they do that Arsenal are there for the taking.

I would not write Everton off for finishing 4th either, if they sign a top striker in January they will be there and there abouts come the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Tell ya what, if Everton catch up the 8 points on what would be necessary to be up there now, overtaking Arsenal on the way, I'll let you put your choice of sig on my profile. Not in a million years will they even get 5th.

• Advertisement

Everton will not come 4th.

some interesting Villa stats about this game:

Friedel will be extending his record breaking run to 171 consecutive Premier League appearances.

Curtis Davies will be making his 150th club career appearance (Luton, West Brom and Aston Villa).

Stilian Petrov will be making his 400th appearance in British club football (Celtic and Aston Villa).

also if he scores Gareth Barry will have netted 50 club career goals - all in Villa colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DSB wrote: »
    Tell ya what, if Everton catch up the 8 points on what would be necessary to be up there now, overtaking Arsenal on the way, I'll let you put your choice of sig on my profile. Not in a million years will they even get 5th.

agreed

if everton have a chance of finishing 4th come the final day of the season, ill wear their jersey for the last round of matches

and considering ill be sitting in the north stand at villa park at the time, that could be detrimental to my health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'm confident and will be happy if Villa get a point out of this. Much has been made of Laursen been out, but i recall Curtis Davies was outstanding in the game at the Emirates, so hopefully him and Cuellar will do enough to keep out RVP.

Speaking of which RVP is Arsenals danger man, much more so then Adebayor if he were playing, RVP missed the Emirates game and Arsenal were limp going forward without him, if RVP shines for Arse today, and given Laursens absence he might well do, then i expect a tough game for Villa.

Kills me i have a seat for this game but not going:eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would not write Everton off for finishing 4th either, if they sign a top striker in January they will be there and there abouts come the end of the season.

Agreed completely. Everton have more than enough quality to compete with Villa. They have been in remarkably good form in recent weeks and have managed to remover quite well after a poor enough start.

ah crap! Zat Knight confirmed as starting as bothe Cuellar and Laursen dont make the match. cmon Zat prove us all wrong

• Advertisement

Jeff Stelling says Knight starts! disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Clichy on the bench and Silvestre on for him for some reason. Damn

Eboue starts and no Bendtner so looks like 5 in the midfield with Diaby in the hole and RvP up front.

playa3 wrote: »
    Clichy on the bench and Silvestre on for him for some reason. Damn

Eboue starts and no Bendtner so looks like 5 in the midfield with Diaby in the hole and RvP up front.

not too chuffed about the Villa news but I like the sound of that arsenal news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Aye, Villa still definitely favourites. I just hope the arsenal lads play with some passion like against pool when Ade got sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Knightmare. Why would I be so happy with a point all of a sudden? :(

Anyone got a stream? I've installed SopCast in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Eboue, Djourou, Silvestre, Song Billong, Denilson, Nasri, Diaby, Gallas, Van Persie. Subs: Fabianski, Toure, Vela, Ramsey, Wilshere, Clichy, Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Knight playing-draw would be a miracle!

considering Knight is playing im thankfull Arsenal decided to play only 1 up front even though that 1 (RVP) is more of a support striker imo. Hopefully that means Knight wont be left in many 1on1's and Davies has a stormer.

atleast Zat is an aireal threat in the place of Laursen

Xmas is ruined:o

goals surely in this game now, big games needed from Gabby & Ash more then ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I really fancy Villa to take all three points in this one. They have looked outstanding over the last couple of weeks while Arsenal have looked anything but.

• Advertisement
Advertisement