Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa vs Arsenal the battle for 4th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ahahahahaha Knight you hero. Still **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Who's this Zat Knight guy again?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

EDIT: nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ah well typical Arsenal :mad:

Villa deserve it.

Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

**** it yet again we throw it away :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

delighted, absolutely delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Delighted for Villa, its excellent stuff for them , the fans and MON LEGEND!

Incidently...

:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No less then Villa deserve. Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well we stay in the CL spot going into the new year 3 points ahead with a nice string of fixtures coming up....Phew!

Knight must be the happiest man alive now, a villa fan and all to boot.

Arsenal's title campaign is 100% over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh yes oh yes the big 4 it could soon be the big 5 LOL Mon I love u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great game.

Who was worried about Zat Knight???:)

My MoM Gareth Barry, immense imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

As an Arsenal fan I cannot portray how frustrating this is for us.

Fair play to Villa though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

My girlfriend got me clothes.

My sons got me DVDS.

Me mam bought me a voucher.

But Zat Knight, you gave me the best present of all.

C'mon the Villa, Champs League here we come. What a performance.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

What a game, really enjoyed that. Villa did not deserve to lose that. That's the title gone for Arsenal this season (and, who knows, possibly 4th??).

its a bizarre one to call, on the one hand we shouldve been miles ahead by half time and on the other to come back from 2-0 down was a phenomenal achievement

i think itll feel like a win to our boys and might just deflate arsenal more than us scoring 3 or 4 in the first half wouldve done

we were hideously unlucky, and blessed at the same time

cracker of a game, and despite it all, im delighted with the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Villain wrote: »
    Oh yes oh yes the big 4 it could soon be the big 5 LOL Mon I love u
    I'd say it'll ne more like big 3. Arsenal dropping out doesn't mean Villa automatically filling the spot. To be part of it you actually have to have some hope of winning the PL. Atm Villa don't.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Great game.

Who was worried about Zat Knight???:)

My MoM Gareth Barry, immense imo.

I'd have gone with Sagna. Young was class too, never gave up.

Feckin hell though Villa never do anything the easy way, its always a rollercoaster of emotions during one of MON's boys matches

• Advertisement

Q2002 wrote: »
    I'd say it'll ne more like big 3. Arsenal dropping out doesn't mean Villa automatically filling the spot. To be part of it you actually have to have some hope of winning the PL. Atm Villa don't.

So it was just a big 2 for the last few seasons then? Liverpool must be chuffed to have broken in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Time to get rid of Gallas - officially the worst challenge ever. Time to go for Toure and Djorou the only two reliable centre-backs. Sagna was amazing today again, and with Clichy on the left that would be a decent defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Wow!

Zat Knight, who'd have thunk it!

Come on transfer window, we need to get a touch up of quality now.

Helix wrote: »
    its a bizarre one to call, on the one hand we shouldve been miles ahead by half time and on the other to come back from 2-0 down was a phenomenal achievement

i think itll feel like a win to our boys and might just deflate arsenal more than us scoring 3 or 4 in the first half wouldve done

we were hideously unlucky, and blessed at the same time

cracker of a game, and despite it all, im delighted with the point

+1

Villa dominated the game until the Arsenal goal. They deserved at least a draw.

Well considering we lead the PL for most of last season I'd have to disagree with that.

Incidently...
    LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It was the game of the day on paper, and it really delivered. Fantastic stuff. Villa should have finished some of their first half chances, but they deserved the point. Arsenal would've leaped them based on goals scored, so the point will undoubtedly feel like three.

Well considering we lead the PL for most of last season I'd have to disagree with that.

Yet the season before finished 21 points off the pace, the season before that 24. Does the big 4 criteria rotate to suit Arsenal and Liverpool now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

all i can say is 'PHEW', happy with a point and to think some were predicting Zat Knights selection would be a disaster:D, what a hero, Hull here we go.

• Advertisement

DSB wrote: »
    Yet the season before finished 21 points off the pace, the season before that 24. Does the big 4 criteria rotate to suit Arsenal and Liverpool now?
    Obviously ;)

Is that you Arsene?

Obviously ;)

Well it is time for Arsenal to move out of the way, unless Wenger decides to splash the cash. On another note..............

ZAT KNIGHT FOR ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

again

With finishing like that from Zat have we found our own Gary Doherty:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Fair played to Villa - they obviously deserved something out of that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ardent wrote: »
    What a game, really enjoyed that. Villa did not deserve to lose that. That's the title gone for Arsenal this season (and, who knows, possibly 4th??).

4th gone after 19 games, i doubt it, i predict alot of twists and turns all over the league before may. chelsea for example still have to go to OT, anfield, arsenal and villa

• Advertisement

i wonder if theyd buy him off us lol

now might be the perfect time to con someone into buying him actually

Reminds me of Harewood against Liverpool last season haha.

On the top 4 debate, the same 4 teams have finished in the top 4 champions league spots for the last three seasons. The extra money from Champions League helps those clubs stay there so they keep their grip. Unfortunately Arsenal having spent **** all and they have a lot of long-term injuries (fabregas, rosicky, walcott, eduardo) they've tried to force some weaker youths into the lineup (Song and especially Bendtner, whos ****e) despite poor performaces while allowing some of the better ones to leave (Flamini, Diarra and Yaya Toure). They have a lot of good young players; Denilson, Diaby and Djorou for example, but other than Sagna, Fabregas and Van Persie, none are world class or good enough to play for Arsenal first team. Vela looks good but Wenger has insisted on playing Bendtner ahead of him. Why, I have no idea!

On the top 4 debate, the same 4 teams have finished in the top 4 champions league spots for the last three seasons. The extra money from Champions League helps those clubs stay there so they keep their grip. Unfortunately Arsenal having spent **** all and they have a lot of long-term injuries (fabregas, rosicky, walcott, eduardo) they've tried to force some weaker youths into the lineup (Song and especially Bendtner, whos ****e) despite poor performaces while allowing some of the better ones to leave (Flamini, Diarra and Yaya Toure). They have a lot of good young players; Denilson, Diaby and Djorou for example, but other than Sagna, Fabregas and Van Persie, none are world class or good enough to play for Arsenal first team. Vela looks good but Wenger has insisted on playing Bendtner ahead of him. Why, I have no idea!

So if a team consistently finishes 5th behind them, it can be changed to a top 5? Even if that team doesn't really challenge those above them in any significant way? Seriously, making up new criteria as they go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Villain wrote: »
    No crisis I'd be delighted with 5th in league, I'm not a glory hunter

You do realize he is a Liverpool fan right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

isnt there a guy of the same name who never played for arsenal but plays for barca?? strange coincidence that one...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Tell ya what, if Everton catch up the 8 points on what would be necessary to be up there now, overtaking Arsenal on the way, I'll let you put your choice of sig on my profile. Not in a million years will they even get 5th.

Only 6 points away now and 3 points away from 5th, I wouldn't put money on them to break the top 4 but I would not write them off either.
    They had a slow start to the season but have been grinding out results week in week out and are making steady progress. A striker in January is crucial for them though.

Only 6 points away now and 3 points away from 5th, I wouldn't put money on them to break the top 4 but I would not write them off either.
    They had a slow start to the season but have been grinding out results week in week out and are making steady progress. A striker in January is crucial for them though.

I'm not writing them off because of their current league position as such, I'm writing them off because they are pretty poor. You'd need some massive collapse from both Villa and Arsenal for anything to happen. Villa and Everton were at about the same level last year, Villa have moved on in strides. Everton are still at that level, and will probably get 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

RasTa wrote: »
    You do realize he is a Liverpool fan right?

To re-enforce how defensive and ridiculous he is being, I am 28 and was 10 when Liverpool last won the league.. I ended up supporting Liverpool after watching an Everton and Liverpool cup final and deciding that I liked the team in red.. That was 89 I think.. Actually, my ould fella reckons it could actually be the '86 final..

Defo a glory hunter :|

Regarding the argument about the big 4 and so on.. If the same 5 finished in the top 5 80% of the last 5 seasons, you would label them the top 5...

If classifying them by league finish isn't enough, you could classify them by their fan base, their trophy haul, recent successes, turnover, ground size or even the amount of funds available for transfer..

Whatever way you do it, the top 4 would be Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. The 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th positions would be made up of Villa, Everton, Man City and Spurs. I don't know why people get worked up about it - the big 4 is simply a convenient way of referring to the top 4 that qualify for the CL most seasons.

Anyway, it is looking increasingly possible that Villa will quality for the CL next season at Arsenal's expense. They are playing some great football, have a quality squad and are very organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

To re-enforce how defensive and ridiculous he is being, I am 28 and was 10 when Liverpool last won the league.. I ended up supporting Liverpool after watching an Everton and Liverpool cup final and deciding that I liked the team in red..

Defo a glory hunter..

I wouldn't even bother!

while allowing some of the better ones to leave (Flamini, Diarra and Yaya Toure).

um i might be being an idiot here but im fairly sure Yaya never played for Arsenal:confused:

edit: Mormark got there first

mormank wrote: »
    isnt there a guy of the same name who never played for arsenal but plays for barca?? strange coincidence that one...:rolleyes:
    Arsenal had first option on him but didn't take up on it

So if a team consistently finishes 5th behind them, it can be changed to a top 5? Even if that team doesn't really challenge those above them in any significant way? Seriously, making up new criteria as they go along.

What are you talking about? Its clear who the top 4 teams have been for the last few years.

The top 4 is significant because they are the champions league places and these have been dominated by the same teams for the last three seasons. Obviously this is why people talk about teams breaking into the top 4! These same 4 teams have variously challenged for the premier league over that period. The team who finished 5th isn't as relevant; ok they can finish in the uefa cup spot but the rewards for uefa cup are insignificant compared with the champions league and in addition various different sides have occupied this spot.

If the champions league places were expanded people would start talking about a top 5. The reason this is important is because champions league leads to more money, makes it possible to attract world class players, bigger reputation, fanbase etc., which in turn makes it easier to compete for bigger honours in the future. Its no surprise that its these teams that have generally competed for the league - liverpool and chelsea this season, united, arsenal, chelsea last season, united and chelsea previous season. Arsenal went two seasons in a row without being competitive but came back in a big way last season. As long as a team is finishing in the top 4 they will always be contenders for honours - thats why breaking into the top 4 is such an immediate aim for the likes of Man City, Aston Villa, etc, but so far nobody has managed to break in.

What are you talking about? Its clear who the top 4 teams have been for the last few years.

The top 4 is significant because they are the champions league places and these have been dominated by the same teams for the last three seasons. Obviously this is why people talk about teams breaking into the top 4! These same 4 teams have variously challenged for the premier league over that period. The team who finished 5th isn't as relevant; ok they can finish in the uefa cup spot but the rewards for uefa cup are insignificant compared with the champions league and in addition various different sides have occupied this spot.

If the champions league places were expanded people would start talking about a top 5. The reason this is important is because champions league leads to more money, makes it possible to attract world class players, bigger reputation, fanbase etc., which in turn makes it easier to compete for bigger honours in the future. Its no surprise that its these teams that have generally competed for the league - liverpool and chelsea this season, united, arsenal, chelsea last season, united and chelsea previous season. Arsenal went two seasons in a row without being competitive but came back in a big way last season. As long as a team is finishing in the top 4 they will always be contenders for honours - thats why breaking into the top 4 is such an immediate aim for the likes of Man City, Aston Villa, etc, but so far nobody has managed to break in.

Since the 4 places were allocated to the Premiership, when exactly have Liverpool challenged for the title? Except this year, of course, when they are obviously up there.

no MON interview or MOM??

• Advertisement
Advertisement