Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal & pet issues.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Talleshin thanks for that--No need to respond now :D:D

Seriously though and I said this in my other post--I really prefer not to mod the forum too harshly as it does seem to run quite smoothly without it.

Helena if you want Ill start modding it a bit more harshly and infract for every breach of charter and god help me if them redneck hunters come back and start a shooting their mouths off about shooting fluffy bunnies again (sarcasm before some hunters complain about me)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mods don't need to be actively posting in a forum to mod it, this has been made clear by admins in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm more active in some forums I don't mod.

I frequently ignore reported posts or PMs or don't respond if I think that it is not a problem, or not urgent. A particular user may not be objective or see the larger picture.

Mods are entitled to have a different view to an ordinary poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Talliesin wrote: »
    If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is there, is it being ignored?
    What do you mean? When richie got back from hols he didn't ignore it, but until he was back, the other mods of the forum ignored what I was saying. They were all gone, for about 2 weeks, at the same time?
    Ideally, moderators should have to do nothing whatsoever. It's not an ideal that often happens, but it is the ideal.
    But they managed to be active enough to infract you so clearly this isn't an issue.
    :D Ah but it is, and this is my whole point, how do they have time to do that when regular posters are leaving the forum due to the lack of moderating? Again, I will point out, the infraction is not bothering me as much as the fact that an infraction was given for something very small when other, more important issues are being ignored.
    Karoma wrote: »
    No. See?.
    I mean a constructive disagreement without picking up on tones. Like sarcasm in text etc.
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    Seriously though and I said this in my other post--I really prefer not to mod the forum too harshly as it does seem to run quite smoothly without it.
    And it has done but lately things have not been going so smoothly. I post regularly, I've gotten to know a few of the regular posters. I genuinely care about the forum, and it has not been the same lately.

Helena if you want Ill start modding it a bit more harshly and infract for every breach of charter and god help me if them redneck hunters come back and start a shooting their mouths off about shooting fluffy bunnies again (sarcasm before some hunters complain about me)
    :) Not more harshly, just a bit more hands on and in perspective on what is and is not important. Why infract for every breach? What about the ones that are a genuine problem, like cruelty or abusive posts etc.

I'm not complaining about "bunny shooters" at all. :confused:

Should I not have bothered reporting the scam? All I got was hassle from it, personal abuse from the boardsie in question, one mod saying she doesn't care and then today another saying it's none of my business.

Surely, if a poster knows of or suspects something illegal going on, they need to report it and be assured that it is being looked after? I did not want to know what was happening, just that it was being looked after, I thought it was when the charter was changed. I sent a PM thanking them for looking after it.

Then Bond posted saying she doesn't care and people were not to PM her about the forum or what happens via PM(I can't remember the exact phrasing but basicially this was the jist). That is not right. I could very easily have not bothered reporting this scam, in fact it would have saved me a lot of heart ache to not report what had happened to me IRL with this poster and the fact it could easily happen with other forum users.

Clarity is relative to the reader. It's as clear as it needs to be, as it's not a rule book as I have already told you. It's a guide.
    I'm not disputing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What do you mean? When richie got back from hols he didn't ignore it, but until he was back, the other mods of the forum ignored what I was saying. They were all gone, for about 2 weeks, at the same time?
    Actually, I was on 'holiday' at the time.

:D Ah but it is, and this is my whole point, how do they have time to do that when regular posters are leaving the forum due to the lack of moderating?
    One poster so far... maybe... according to you. Kindly post the username (they said it was okay.) I'd like to look at their Reported posts.

Again, I will point out, the infraction is not bothering me as much as the fact that an infraction was given for something very small when other, more important issues are being ignored.
    And I'm telling you: Stuff that you think is small will be enforced, stuff you think is major will be ignored. Why? Because the moderation has to be flexible, and you're not the best judge of what should/shouldn't be enforced. Why does it go against the charter? Because it has to be flexible; the charter is a template. The core issue here is that you're confused by what is/isn't enforced. There isn't much we can do about that except suggest that you keep watching and finding out until you get a better grip on the situation.
    Keep reporting posts, and you'll get feedback when / where possible. Don't expect much. I only respond to the more obvious abuses. The reported posts for A & PI are often insane. So much is "offensive to the users of the forum" it's unreal.

I mean a constructive disagreement without picking up on tones. Like sarcasm in text etc.
    I know. See.

ED: Looking through Reported Posts: Two reports took ~1 day to be acted on (These were around Christmas, mind you). Otherwise, reported posts are dealt with within hours (Quite often within minutes.) It seems like we're covered for moderation. Moderators don't need to post in threads; in fact, for every one of you complaining a mod doesn't post enough, there are ten complaining they post too much and several PM'ing that they're leaving because of it,etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

This thread is never really going to lead to any resolution.

Still, anyone else unhappy with how this particular forum is moderated, just think: According to some interpretations of quantum physics, there is a universe in existance where helena.ryan moderates it. Count your blessings.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And in Soviet Universe: Moderate Forums You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I won't post in that forum, the people who post there are scary.

They need to realise one thing.

Animals. Are. Not. People.

Actually, this sums it up nicely
    So much is "offensive to the users of the forum" it's unreal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Should I not have bothered reporting the scam? All I got was hassle from it, personal abuse from the boardsie in question, one mod saying she doesn't care and then today another saying it's none of my business.

I'm not disputing that.

Helena when you reported that scam we had already known about it for weeks.The issue was dealt with behind the scenes and the user in question is no more.

As for regulars leaving because of lack of moderation--I dont see any of them posting in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

This thread is never really going to lead to any resolution.

Still, anyone else unhappy with how this particular forum is moderated, just think: According to some interpretations of quantum physics, there is a universe in existance where helena.ryan moderates it. Count your blessings.

Is Jerry O' Connell an admin in this alternate world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Des wrote: »
    I won't post in that forum, the people who post there are scary.

They need to realise one thing.

Animals. Are. Not. People.

Actually, this sums it up nicely
    LOL - check out this post complaining about sexism against dogs...
    That has to be the most sexist thing I've ever heard. (in the doggie world)

A. They are both dogs
    B. You should know your terms
    C. My Siberian Husky is able to be off of her lease

If you weren't trying to offend anyone then you should have wrote "I have male and a female" or "I have a Stud and a bitch" or "I have a shire and a dam"
    Not that you have a dog and a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dudess wrote: »
    LOL - check out this post complaining about sexism against dogs...

And don't forget that I was reported for posting a photo of my dog with an ERECTION!.

I'm not getting involved too much in this thread as I won't be using the Animals and Pets forum again, or at least until such a time that the listed Moderators there begin to play an active and positive role in the forum again.

Rules are inconsistantly enforced, despite the forums charters giving an air of zero tolerance towards members breaking them. Now I consider 'rules are for the obdience of fools and the guidence of wisemen (& women these days :rolleyes: :) ) but don't come accross as having a zero tolerance policy and then enforcing the rules 'carte blanche.

This leads to a lack of confidence in the Mods from the people who have a real and genuine interest in using the forum.

Now it can not be disputed that the Moderators of the Animal and Pets forum have taken their eye off the ball in recent months, thats not to say their bad people or bad moderators as real life HAS to take precedence over your internet lives.

But its got to the stage there now that people with genuine concern's for their animals risk personal redicule and attack for posting quiries pertaining to their animals health, welfare and well being.

That has to be addressed IMO, and it has to be addressed immediately.
    As for regulars leaving because of lack of moderation--I dont see any of them posting in this thread.

***cough*** :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Helena you are really beginning to annoy me now! You keep claiming I was doing nothing! WRONG WRONG & WRONG! This was being dealt with off board in private with the admins & Smods. At the time of this incident you kept pming me persistantly & I told you politely to use the reported post function & you were I would entertain any further pm's on the matter with you!

Point 2 - Richie & I were in fact away at the time - however I take my computer & check in even when I am on holiday in America - therefore I am often watching but can late to respond due to the time difference!
    :D Ah but it is, and this is my whole point, how do they have time to do that when regular posters are leaving the forum due to the lack of moderating? Again, I will point out, the infraction is not bothering me as much as the fact that an infraction was given for something very small when other, more important issues are being ignored.

What members are leaving??? No one has complained to myself & as far as I know (again I am not Derek Acorah) Hellraiser or Karoma.

I have no problem with constructive disagreement - just have a problem with members badgering people who disagree with them! People tend to forget there are very real people attacked to each & every post - they all have feelings - shouting & abusing people hurts. I know the saying that sticks & stones will brake my bones but names with never hurt me - but sadly us humans are often more fragile than that.
    And it has done but lately things have not been going so smoothly. I post regularly, I've gotten to know a few of the regular posters. I genuinely care about the forum, and it has not been the same lately.

Explain please. Apart from Mairt who has expressed his dissatisfaction.

:) Not more harshly, just a bit more hands on and in perspective on what is and is not important. Why infract for every breach? What about the ones that are a genuine problem, like cruelty or abusive posts etc.

I am online most days & am often watching - I post when members ask questions that I can answer. - I too get annoyed with the members who think their opinions are the only ones that count. Ask questions about exotics & I will respond.
    I'm not complaining about "bunny shooters" at all. :confused:

The hunters thread caused horror & outrage a few months ago.

Again for the record this was dealt with by the mods & admins off board! I was not in a position to keep you in the loop - I can not access pm's therefore what goes on is NOT MY BUSINESS - contact admins if you a problem in this area! If a member is nasty in a pm - you can of course forward it to me & I will admin on your behalf.

I can only deal with members who break the charter - that's it I am not god! I am a mere moderator!

Surely, if a poster knows of or suspects something illegal going on, they need to report it and be assured that it is being looked after? I did not want to know what was happening, just that it was being looked after, I thought it was when the charter was changed. I sent a PM thanking them for looking after it.
    Then Bond posted saying she doesn't care and people were not to PM her about the forum or what happens via PM(I can't remember the exact phrasing but basicially this was the jist). That is not right. I could very easily have not bothered reporting this scam, in fact it would have saved me a lot of heart ache to not report what had happened to me IRL with this poster and the fact it could easily happen with other forum users.

I'm not disputing that.

I basically told you to hit the REPORT POST BUTTON - that way it goes to all mods & not just me. Read my earlier points cause I am sick of repeating myself.

Mairt wrote: »
    I'm not getting involved too much in this thread as I won't be using the Animals and Pets forum again, or at least until such a time that the listed Moderators there begin to play an active and positive role in the forum again.

Now it can not be disputed that the Moderators of the Animal and Pets forum have taken their eye off the ball in recent months...

As moderators? They're doing what needs to be done as I've pointed out. You have access to the Reported Posts forum and can check it for yourself.
    If you want them posting as posters, then tough. That's up to them, but don't go mixing the two up.

Rules are inconsistantly enforced, despite the forums charters giving an air of zero tolerance towards members breaking them. Now I consider 'rules are for the obdience of fools and the guidence of wisemen (& women these days :rolleyes: :) ) but don't come accross as having a zero tolerance policy and then enforcing the rules 'carte blanche.
    Only some of the charter implies a zero tolerance stance really, if you read it properly and so far they have implemented in a 'zero tolerance' manner, hence the infraction that helped kick-start this whole thing. So, post some examples. Have you read through this thread? We have explained that matters were dealt with away from the eyes of users, we don't mean to sound prickish about some of it as it may come across, but sensitive matters had to be dealt with quietly behind the scenes, otherwise, we have countered any argument of inconsistency or lack of moderation that has so far been put forward; maybe not to the satisfaction of particular posers, but they may never see beyond themselves. Nothing much that we can do about that except to try and patiently continue to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I won't be using the Animals and Pets forum again, or at least until such a time that the listed Moderators there begin to play an active and positive role in the forum again.

I'm not a regular in the forum by any means but the above pretty much sums up my attitude towards it. There seems to be a small contingent of posters who have their own agendas to push and who are very aggressive towards people who express opinions different to theirs. Not always in blatant contradiction of the charter rules/guidelines but overall it contributes to the forum being a very unwelcoming place for new posters looking for (non-judgemental) advice.

I'm not a regular in the forum by any means but the above pretty much sums up my attitude towards it. There seems to be a small contingent of posters who have their own agendas to push and who are very aggressive towards people who express opinions different to theirs. Not always in blatant contradiction of the charter rules/guidelines but overall it contributes to the forum being a very unwelcoming place for new posters looking for (non-judgemental) advice.

Post or send me some examples. /adds macro for this.
    That's pretty much the same as most fora on boards.ie and the Internet. I'm not disputing it, or saying it will go unchecked, but frankly your "opinions" are not the basis for moderation. Also, why is down to a moderator to sort it out? Can't you & other fora members post in a constructive manner? We're not here to brainwash posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And don't forget that I was reported for posting a photo of my dog with an ERECTION!.
    Its true then! Mairt with a camera even turns dogs on :pac:

muffler wrote: »
    Its true then! Mairt with a camera even turns dogs on :pac:

I was hoping we would not venture down this road...

AH or PI?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

muffler wrote: »
    AH or PI?
    Sex & Sexuality!

Post or send me some examples. /adds macro for this.
    That's pretty much the same as most fora on boards.ie and the Internet. I'm not disputing it, or saying it will go unchecked, but frankly your "opinions" are not the basis for moderation. Also, why is down to a moderator to sort it out?

PM sent containing a few examples of less-than-helpful/judgemental posts in Animals & Pet Issues. I'm aware that my opinions are not the basis for moderation and I don't think that the overall problems with Animals & Pet Issues should be left to the moderators to resolve. But, since the forum attracts a number of contentious issues while at the same time being a place (apparently) to look for genuine advice regarding animal treatment perhaps a PI-style moderation as opposed to an AH-style would be of benefit.
    Can't you & other fora members post in a constructive manner?

I'm curious as to what exactly this means? Apart from being reactionary and dismissive, it's a bit naive to expect a group of people who have in the past displayed a rather fractious approach to discussion to suddenly start posting nicely and politely without guidance from the relevant moderators.

Kiera wrote: »
    Sex & Sexuality!
    Oh you are awful ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

PM sent containing a few examples of less-than-helpful/judgemental posts in Animals & Pet Issues.
    Have you PM'd Karoma that "house for a cat" thread? Unbelievable! That's actually the last time I posted to Animals & Pet Issues because I couldn't believe some of the craziness there. OP had a baby and a newly done up house so she had to keep the cat outdoors, therefore the OP was looking for a house for her cat but the best she could possibly buy... she got compared with people who neglect and abuse and kill animals - she even had aspersions cast on her parenting skills!

I'm curious as to what exactly this means? Apart from being reactionary and dismissive, it's a bit naive to expect a group of people who have in the past displayed a rather fractious approach to discussion to suddenly start posting nicely and politely without guidance from the relevant moderators.
    I'll read your PM in a moment, just wanted to clear this up: Just meant what happens if you (& others) jump in to discuss a thread/topic in the manner you prefer? i.e. drowning out the more obnoxious elements & dictating the tone of the forum, which is down to the posters not moderators.

I'll read your PM in a moment, just wanted to clear this up: Just meant what happens if you (& others) jump in to discuss a thread/topic in the manner you prefer? i.e. drowning out the more obnoxious elements & dictating the tone of the forum, which is down to the posters not moderators.

Ah, I know what you mean now. I agree that the general tone of any discussion will be dictated by the posters. However I think the moderators have a role in that too. Imo if the desired changes are left entirely to the posters, the lack of overall authority would just result in the discussion degenerating into a row - as with the thread that Dudess mentioned.

The "Outdoor Cat House/Shelter needed" thread cited as an example:
    It was locked in less than 1.5hrs after the first report came in.
    No, a moderator is not required to read every thread, nor should they expected to be.
    One of the more unreasonable and disruptive members of the forum and in that thread has since been banned.

Any other examples that have been provided do not really help. All I see are animal-lovin' hippehs, with fanatical tendencies, but they haven't reached PETA-loony standards yet. Their posts (initially, at least) start on-topic. It's a discussion; you're going to get opinions and you won't like many of them. A moderator should not be there to censor discussions unless they're problematic / clearly go too far (This is difficult to define, you and I are going to disagree. Keep posting examples and we'll see where our opinions match), as so so many posters will tell us.

The only way moderation could resolve it is to truly and fully adopt a zero-tolerance stance on all things and go down the PI route. Perhaps we should move it to Soc then.
    The change has to come from within, from a poster level. I'd like to post more there, but I find it unfriendly, but I might start later. A moderator should not have to play poster in their own forum. In fact, most poster will see them as a moderator and nothing more; any attempt to post as a poster will be deemed micro-moderating and will meet with more hostility.

A moderator is more like a referee - we're there to deal with those who cannot play nicely, or to nudge unruly play back into line for the enjoyment and benefit of others. It doesn't mean that we have to play. We have played, we're old and fat and can't cut it anymore, so we walk around watching those who can and want to and we ensure that they play by the rules.

The "Outdoor Cat House/Shelter needed" thread cited as an example:
    It was locked in less than 1.5hrs after the first report came in.
    No, a moderator is not required to read every thread, nor should they expected to be.
    One of the more unreasonable and disruptive members of the forum and in that thread has since been banned.

Imo the thread in question is an example of on-the-ball moderation and the reporting function working as designed.
    However, the perception I had from reading the thread is that the general abuse and provocation hurled at the OP by a number of apparently regular posters would not have occurred initially if they hadn't thought it acceptable within the forum. This perception is not necessarily correct but as a relative newcomer to the forum this was my view.
    Of course, the threads I found issue with were all started with the OP requesting advice or specific information. In an "advice forum", I would consider the majority of the responses to be off-topic but I can understand their place in a "discussion forum".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A moderator is more like a referee - we're there to deal with those who cannot play nicely, or to nudge unruly play back into line for the enjoyment and benefit of others. It doesn't mean that we have to play. We have played, we're old and fat and can't cut it anymore, so we walk around watching those who can and want to and we ensure that they play by the rules.

Sorry, OT

Is that how you define moderating in general, as in all moderators on all fora?

• Advertisement

In short? No.
    Longer answer: ... It would go off-topic.... Yes? Firstly, I don't think as a moderator beyond Rec fora. Secondly, it's comments re: moderators as moderators; Moderators can be posters too, they don't have to be ("It doesn't mean that we have to play.") Thirdly, it's an analogy to explain the gist of my opinion; I could have gone with 'those who can't, teach...'. It's a personal opinion, it reflects on my mental state and experiences and won't be shared by many. Lastly, do object to the inference that you're fat or incapable? Why? :)

Advertisement