Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours - But Is It Their Fault?

Options
  • 24-12-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Myself and the missus have been living in the same apartment for about 18 months. We're on the second floor and up to this point things have been fine. About a week or two ago the noise coming from the apartment above has been fairly loud and irritating. There have been loads of thumps and lots of sounds as if food is being prepared. Also they seem to have a young child and we can hear him running around the apartment seemingly all the time.

The thing is though they aren't really doing anything wrong. It's not like they are holding parties or watching TV too loud, it's just day to day stuff but it really is quite loud. Even our neighbours either side of us we can't hear a peep.

Would I be out of place to go upstairs and ask them to keep the noise down or to mention about the kid running around the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi Folks,

Myself and the missus have been living in the same apartment for about 18 months. We're on the second floor and up to this point things have been fine. About a week or two ago the noise coming from the apartment above has been fairly loud and irritating. There have been loads of thumps and lots of sounds as if food is being prepared. Also they seem to have a young child and we can hear him running around the apartment seemingly all the time.

The thing is though they aren't really doing anything wrong. It's not like they are holding parties or watching TV too loud, it's just day to day stuff but it really is quite loud. Even our neighbours either side of us we can't hear a peep.

Why has the noise just started a week or two ago? Was the apartment empty?? or Did they take up carpets put down wooden floors?

It sounds like they are just doing normal things people do... Sounds like there is a problem with the level of sound proofing...

Would I be out of place to go upstairs and ask them to keep the noise down or to mention about the kid running around the place?

To be honest you can't really go up and complain about a child running around cause that's what they do.... If the child was constantly jumping up and down for hours at a time maybe, but not just running around....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why has the noise just started a week or two ago? Was the apartment empty?? or Did they take up carpets put down wooden floors?

It sounds like they are just doing normal things people do... Sounds like there is a problem with the level of sound proofing...

There was never any noise before. We suspect they have friends/family staying with them over the christmas as there is a buggy outside the apartment. My GF was going to have a word with them earlier in the day and while outside she could here two sets of voices. Two men, two women and a couple of kids playing.

To be honest you can't really go up and complain about a child running around cause that's what they do.... If the child was constantly jumping up and down for hours at a time maybe, but not just running around....

That's what I would have caught but for long periods the kids are running and jumping around the place which you can really hear below.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did they take up carpets put down wooden floors?
    I second the wooden floors thing. Sudden noise, just before Christmas... don't go up to moan, just pop up and ask nicely did they put down wooden floors. If ask why, just say you can suddenly hear _everything_ that they do for the past two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It was really really bad this morning with lots of pounding and thumping so we went upstairs to have a word with them. We thought they were polish and we guessed right. The chap who answered the door was preparing schabowe, which involves hammering the f*ck out of pork chops. Anyway the chap seemed pleasant enough and told us his visitors were staying for just a few days more.

Advertisement