Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grumpy Old Woman

Options
  • 24-12-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know its the season to be jolly but PLEASE can I rant. I have just sat down after weeks of shopping/cleaning/cooking for Christmas. I am knackered and where is the OH ? Having a few pints with the lads (after a week of parties and boozy lunches).Off he went at 2pm happy as a pig in sh1t. The house was in bits, nothing was done.
    I have cleaned, polished, prepared veg, wrapped presents, set the table for tomorrow and he will come home and wonder why I'm tired. I HATE CHRISTMAS !! Rant over, I'm feeling better already.
    Now I'm off to ring the BBC to sign up for the next series of Grumpy Old Women

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if I knew there was someone who was willing to do all the work for me, I'd be out drinking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jos28 wrote: »
    Off he went at 2pm...

You should have gone, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Don't be such a doormat/martyr tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i would of just leaving it tbh!! or leave him do everything tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I was never too pushed about a huge Christmas dinner, sparling Christmas house or expertly-wrapped presents, so I've always felt that the people that do care about it all should do the work involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would you not help? What happens if you ever have kids, are you not going to want to make it magical for them or put in any effort, just hand them a fifty to go wild in Smyths in the sales? If you'd do it for kids, why not do it for those who still want the spirit to live on?

I always loved Christmas as a child, once I found out about Santa, the magic faded and each year on I get less and less excited about it but my mam still wants to make the effort and it just wouldn't be right to sit down to a nicely prepared meal which she put in so much effort, money and time into without having lifted a finger in appreciation and just substitute it for a half hearted "thanks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

So what excuse do YOU have for not being in the pub?

christmas eve == free pint

Can't afford to NOT go the pub,all im sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

Danimalito wrote: »
    So what excuse do YOU have for not being in the pub?

christmas eve == free pint

Can't afford to NOT go the pub,all im sayin

Off topic I know, but im so depressed I cant go out for a few drinks tonight! Im lying stretched in my bed dying sick!!! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Danimalito

Off topic I know, but im so depressed I cant go out for a few drinks tonight! Im lying stretched in my bed dying sick!!! :(:(

Think about the money you'll save if you /do/ go out...also, a hot whiskey is the cure for everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

stovelid wrote: »
    I was never too pushed about a huge Christmas dinner, sparling Christmas house or expertly-wrapped presents, so I've always felt that the people that do care about it all should do the work involved.

Do you eat the dinner, relax in the clean house, and open the expertly-wrapped presents? If so you should get off your ass and lend a hand, imo.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Would you not help? What happens if you ever have kids, are you not going to want to make it magical for them or put in any effort, just hand them a fifty to go wild in Smyths in the sales? If you'd do it for kids, why not do it for those who still want the spirit to live on?

If you have kids, obviously you should roll out the barrel. I like Christmas, but if it's just the two of you, some people might want to just chill or head out instead of all the trimmings. Best to compromise with each other, I guess.

We have a very young baby, but no chance of a babysitter, given the night. I'd murder a festive pint right now. Only a serious illness would stop me. :D

PillyPen wrote: »
    Do you eat the dinner, relax in the clean house, and open the expertly-wrapped presents? If so you should get off your ass and lend a hand, imo.

Actually, I've no time for a all-trimmings dinner. Would be quite happy being low-key. In a two-person house, if I was told we were going to eat low-key, and not go overboard, I'd be perfectly happy and enjoy Christmas for what it is: fun, closeness, and relaxation. Not a Christmas eve spent in a paroxysm of preparation and stress.

Put my present in a bag too, I'm not bothered.

When you have kids, it's totally different. Or if family or friends are joining you because then the majority should be honoured. And everybody should pitch in.

stovelid wrote: »
    Actually, I've no time for a all-trimmings dinner. Would be quite happy being low-key. In a two-person house, if I was told we were going to eat low-key, and not go overboard, I'd be perfectly happy and enjoy Christmas for what it is: fun, closeness, and relaxation. Not a Christmas eve spent in a paroxysm of preparation and stress.

Put my present in a bag too, I'm not bothered.

When you have kids, it's totally different. Or if family or friends are joining you because then the majority should be honoured. And everybody should pitch in.

I agree! If it's just two people and one wants to freak out and one wants to relax, then to each his own really.

I hope the OP isn't prepping the house for an entire family with no help. That's shady business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

stovelid, I'd have babysat for you, the thoughts of being the only sober one in the local later is already depressing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I've stopped moaning now, I've nearly finished a nice bottle of red so I don't give a monkeys whose presents are wrapped at this stage.
    I remember the times when I spent all Christmas eve in the pub, didn't spare me poor old Mother a thought. She was obviously busy at home doing all the things I've been moaning about. Thats life I suppose.
    Reckon I was jealous of the OH, off with his mates having a laugh. I don't begrudge him his mates, I'm glad he stays in touch with them. For those of you who have been lucky enough to have festive pints, spare a thought for the army of people at home making Christmas happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

PillyPen wrote: »

PS. Well done Pillypen. Could not have said it better.

You did have your hands full, in fairness.

Ha, then put your man in check! But not on Christmas...I don't want to be responsible for a blowout on the birth of the baby Jaysus, although it does sound as though your OH has it coming!

And I don't think it sounded at all like you were begrudging him time with his friends. It isn't fair for one person to carry the entire burden of the holiday. :( My poor mom goes nuts every Thanksgiving and drives us all crazy in turn, but I'd be damned if I'd sit around and let her do it all by herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Id like to say im cooking all day ;long tomorow.....

so some of us are well house trained whipped or maybe i just like cooking never played with goose before......

but yeah it dont sound exactly fare....

Advertisement