Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - Computer Has Failed

• 24-12-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭

I wonder can anyone help.

I seem to have got a major problem with VISTA.

My computer just restarted for no apparrent reason last evening and went straight into Windows ERROR Recovery. The screen said that a recent hardware or software change may be the cause. It recommended to Launch Startup Repair. However when I did that it just went into a new screen sayibg "Windows is loading files" and this screen stayed there for at least 10 hours and did nothing.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do to solve this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,484 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can you boot into Safe Mode and do a System Restore?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I have tried but was unable to do so. Will look up how to do that in VISTA and try again.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Have you tried putting in the vista cd and booting from it and then running the repair from there?

You may need to go into the bios (you will see press key to enter setup when you switch it on) and make sure cd/dvd is 1st in the order of drives to boot from. Before you do that just put the disc in and see if it tells you to press any key to boot from cd. if it does theres no need to go into bios then,

Some info here
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html
    and
    http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows_vista_repair_options.htm

read these carefully as some methods my cause loss of data.

Hope this is of some help

Mick

Thanks Calex. Unfortunately I didnt get a CD for Vista when I purchased the PC from PC World. I have the PC just over a year so the warranty is gone.

Anyone know if I should have received a CD for Vista with the PC. Where is the best place to get a CD?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

vista repair on christmas day ??

Anyway press F12 a few times when the computer starts many give you an option to boot from the CD.

• Advertisement

vista repair on christmas day ??

Anyway press F12 a few times when the computer starts many give you an option to boot from the CD.

I didnt think that I would get it done on Christmas Day. I am just wondering now should I try and get a copy of the Vista CD and then take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,484 ✭✭✭✭Esel

esel wrote: »
    Can you boot into Safe Mode and do a System Restore?
    Try pressing F8 at boot to access the Boot menu.

Not your ornery onager

Thanks,
    Unfortunately the only options when I do that are to boot from the Hard Drive (which is causing the problems I am describing ) and booting from the CD Drive which I cannot do as I dont have the disc.

It looks as if I will have to track down the disc for Vista. Is my best option to buy one in PC World or similar store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dixiefly wrote: »
    It looks as if I will have to track down the disc for Vista. Is my best option to buy one in PC World or similar store?

have you not got a friend or family member who has a disc? you should be able to use that (or even burn it methinks) as your Vista license key should be written on one of the stickers on the back of your comp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Can u hit F8 and go into safe mode and then restore to most recent known good configuration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fcomerforduk

Depending on the computer (not the os) you may have to hit either F2,F5,F8,F10 or F12 to enter start up options.

you also may have to enable the boot from cd, dvd in the bios and move this to the first boot position :)

Advertisement