Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Compaq laptop to Wireless Eircom Router

Options
  • 24-12-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone can shede some light on this one...
    I need to connect a compaq CQ-50 laptop (which has a WiFi certified sticker oin it) to an Eircom supplied Wireless router netopia I believe its silver and I cant remember its model number.
    Anyway the Compaq software (qhich I had to reinstall to get the hardware working) actually asks what manufacturer your router is and out of a choice of only about 6 Netopia is not listed Ive tried other but it cant find it.
    Another laptop using a Belkin Rangmax G+ USB adapter I got connected but this Caompaq has me baffled?

Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Nick

P.S. Please move Ive just realised its in the wrong Topic...sorry

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There really is no reason for the laptop to 'know' the make of the router you are connecting to.

Can the laptop not 'see' the wireless network that you want to connect to?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Hey Dub thanks for response, the laptop seems to only 'ask' for the router you want to connect to?

Can I use the windows zero point connection? cant remember where this option is :(

Cheers,
    Nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hey Dub thanks for response, the laptop seems to only 'ask' for the router you want to connect to?

Can I use the windows zero point connection? cant remember where this option is :(

Cheers,
    Nick.

Yes you can but once you restart the computer the compaq utility will probably take over again.

Just go into control panel ---->Network and internet----> Network and Sharing Centre. Click on manage wireless networks on the left hand side, click on the add button at the top left hand side. It will have a green plus sign beside it. Then click on add networks that are within range of this computer. You should see your eircom network then. High light the network and click connect near the bottom of the box, enter your password and it should connect.

You can start the vista wireless process by going top your desktop and pressing the windows + r at the same time, then enter in the box services.msc, press ok. Then go Down to wlansvc on the list. Right click it and hit enable.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Great! I'll give that a go thelastangryman,
    Cheers
    Nick

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

move to wireless

• Advertisement
Advertisement