Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motor oil

Options
  • 25-12-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

ppl this may sound like a daft question but i wanna be sure an seein as its xmas, nowheres open! basically, the oil light is flickerin on an off when i go round corners, slow down etc.....can i just buy a bottle in the petrol station or does it need to be specific to the car. i drive a 01 ford focus. cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check the owners manual if you have it.

If you don't, then buy semi synthetic and you should be OK. Better to have the sump full of the wrong oil than no oil at all. You can always change to the correct oil after the holiday period which will be cheaper than changing the seized, oil starved engine..................

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Its never a good sign when the oil pressure light comes on.... Check the dipstick and make sure the oil leval is above the 'Min' marker. I cant tell you what sort of oil to use cos you didnt give an engine size..... Check the back of your car manual for the oil rating something like 10w 40..... If you still cant find out what it is throw a liter of 15w 40 in it if its below the min marker on your dipstick. Then get it checked out after christmas asap, could just be an oil leak but also it could be more serious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The oil rating for that focus (mk1) is 5w30 syntethic oil. It takes 4.5Ltrs and it's a half hour job to do the oil change, best to change the filter too. Heres a guide to changing your oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as you're not going to get a filter/sump plug spanner/etc to do a full oil change as recommended over Christmas (or at least not today); you should be able to get 5w30 synth in most petrol stations; and there are definately some open today - my local Esso across the road is for one.

The flickering you describe sounds like low oil anyway, but obviously check the dipstick first - remove, clean, replace, remove, check and if its below the max mark (especially if below the min), add oil - but slowly. Don't throw a full litre+ in - it can sometimes take a tiny amount to get from min to max.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Why were you up so late MYOB, excited about Santy??

OP, fill er up. There is nothing worse than things going amuck over Christmas. I needed two new tyres the other day and nearly considered trying Christmas on two bald tyres. Last year I snapped a CV joint and the year before I snapped the other CV joint.

Fill er up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement