Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help/Advice

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Yes parish priest; a priest of high standing here in Ireland...theologian of very high repute indeed with books written.

Why ashamed? it is what he truly believes.

H word? You mean Heaven of course:) Ah yes indeed, a wonderful place to be and to anticipate....

Not in everything, Noel; not in every last detail. Very few do, you know.

Teachings change also when the need arises or when enlightenment comes
    eg all the new teachings that came in with vatican 2 - and suddenly many who adhered to the former ways became..... oh you mean HERETICS!!

Deep beliefs cannot be switched on and off like that..

Not forgetting limbo and the burying of unbaptised babies and suicides outside conserated ground either; thankfully we do not do that any longer.

Just wonder why it offends you that others differ in small details?

Ultimately all this is between the soul and Jesus. To Him we answer and to Him only

The Holy Father himself has spoken of the individual conscience overriding the teachings of the Church; is not that wonderful?

No I cannot accept that beautiful souls who have suffered here on earth as we all do, are kept from the Presence of Jesus.

He says to the thief on the Cross, that he will be with Him in paradise today.

Blessings, Noel. Rich blessings.

kelly1 wrote: »
    PP = Parish Priest? He should be ashamed of himself!

I'm not going to mention the 'H' word again, but Purgatory is a dogmatic truth of the Church. One thing about the Catholic faith is that you can't pick and choose what you want to believe what the Church teaches and reject the rest.

Don't you believe in the infallible teaching authority of the Church?

God bless,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

nope hence my whole problem and starting this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

PP = Parish Priest? He should be ashamed of himself!

Why though Noel? The only Scripture I know that could be interpreted as being purgatory is the event described in Maccabees when part of the army fall in battle due to wearing a pagan symbol. Then they pray that God may forgive the deceased. That doesn't show me without doubt that purgatory exists.
    I'm not going to mention the 'H' word again, but Purgatory is a dogmatic truth of the Church. One thing about the Catholic faith is that you can't pick and choose what you want to believe what the Church teaches and reject the rest.

It's this argument from authority that I find a bit hard to push myself to. Then again, I do believe in the virtue of each man and woman to witness Jesus Christ for themselves through the Scriptures and to take part in the ministry of the Church at some level. Truth comes from Jesus Christ.

This comes down to the entire question of whether or not the Catholic Church is synomonous with the communities that Paul and the other Apostles set up. I don't believe it is, due to the word catholic originally meaning universal, and that the Roman Catholic Church wasn't founded until the 4rd century under Constantine.

Noel; something occurred to me as i was walking the dogs in the rain, praying and pondering all this.

Are you thinking that each small section of the Catechism is of equal 'weight" and importance?

Who has given you that idea, please?

That even to think other than one iota of it is to be a heretic?

(Now here is something interesting: I just googled heresy as a matter of interest and all the sites carry a warning, "This site may damage your computer"!!)

Not all equal at all.

Who said to use the Catechism to define belief, please?

Or to judge others by it?

I remember you told us you are a "revert" ?

We all need to weigh everything.

And a good priest will know that.

Imean do you think someone who thinks differently should confess that as a sin?

Believe me, as a Nun 40 years Professed, and with thus strong and constant spiritual guidance, that has never been so.

I am not sure what spiritual direction you have of course.

Blessings this night and peace to you.

I know, and we have made it all worse for you?

So sorry.

Sigh.....

All our authority must come simply from Jesus... wherever we are tradition wise.

Blessings and always prayer
    anchoresscj at yahoo dot com.
    Phototoxin wrote: »
    nope hence my whole problem and starting this thread.

no one has made it worse. However it is interesting. I would like to hear more about the RCC being founded in the 4th centuary and the evidence to support that to be honest.

However the responses here have been largely beneficial, unlike CA forums where there is a lot of harshness.

You mean Catholic Answers? ;)

I was excommunicated from there:)

"FOR EVER; THIS BAN WILL NEVER BE LIFTED"
    :
    Thank Jesus...
    Phototoxin wrote: »
    no one has made it worse. However it is interesting. I would like to hear more about the RCC being founded in the 4th centuary and the evidence to support that to be honest.

However the responses here have been largely beneficial, unlike CA forums where there is a lot of harshness.

sorella wrote: »
    You mean Catholic Answers? ;)

I was excommunicated from there:)

"FOR EVER; THIS BAN WILL NEVER BE LIFTED"
    :
    Thank Jesus...

I wouldn't loose sleep over it..

Advertisement