Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22" LCD Monitor for €117 delivered from Dabs.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

Showing €102.75 now! My friend bought one of these last week when they were €111 and we set it up on a DVI connection. It was pin-sharp. We were very impressed with the quality of the image. The screen had a matte finish. For the price this is an absolute steal ...

He also bought the Acer P193W http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5CTY&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,412810000
    (now €109.58) for €118 and it was also a beautiful monitor picturewise. It was white in colour, and had a gloss finish, looked great. Has some great reviews elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

now the price is €101.78 , so tempted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

grrr tempt me not !!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

So very very tempted.. I'll balance my books tomorrow and see how it works out :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

What would this be like for gaming?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    What would this be like for gaming?

I have the 24" DGM budget monitor, it's superb for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

could i hook my xbox 360 up to this and get a good picture? i need to get it off the house's primary tv so i can finally get some game time together in Gears of War 2 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Would one require a powerful graphics card to get the optimum resolution out of this guy ?
    I have a Ti4800 ,pretty old,I dont think it will handle over 1280*1024 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jesus an old 2mb video card would output past 1280x1024. :)

Of course a Ti4800 would run 1680x1050. It runs up to 2048x1536, according to official Nvidia specifications. Not exactly surprising though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

griffdaddy wrote: »
    could i hook my xbox 360 up to this and get a good picture? i need to get it off the house's primary tv so i can finally get some game time together in Gears of War 2 :p

I have 2 of the 19" versions of this monitor and my 360 looks amazing using the 360 VGA cable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

Would one require a powerful graphics card to get the optimum resolution out of this guy ?
    I have a Ti4800 ,pretty old,I dont think it will handle over 1280*1024 .
    I have a FX5200 128mb and I have 2 monitors at that res running off it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

There's also 2% cash back through Quidco. Including the cash back (€1.68) makes the total price €114.30 with delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

can you get a tv tuner for this that you could connect a sky box through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭wierdal

gone down again with Quidco its 96.05 inc delivery not half bad for a 22"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I have just purchased this 22'' TFT through Paypal. Looks a real bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Can't pay through Quidco unless you have a UK bank account as paypal payments are limited to £50 :(

MC

Not sure what you mean MunsterCycling. I was talking about buying using the Quidco web sites link thereby getting their usual cashback. For LCD monitors bought from Dabs it's 2%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Oracle wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean MunsterCycling. I was talking about buying using the Quidco web sites link thereby getting their usual cashback. For LCD monitors bought from Dabs it's 2%.

The max you can pay using paypal through quidco is £50, see their payment terms and conditions, meaning for anybody without a uk bank acc you can't pay through them for this monitor.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

bought one of these before christmas..Great quality..gets the odd stuck pixel but no dead ones... Audio quality is pants though so you'll definitely need external speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

321654 wrote: »
    can you get a tv tuner for this that you could connect a sky box through?

so thats a No then i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Lads, what do ye think of this for under 200e delivered??

It looks great because its actually 1920 x 1080 res, and its 16:9 as opposed to 16:10. Crucially too, it has hdmi with hdcp. It looks great too. Manufacturers link here. Was thinkin of this to upgrade from my 19" samsung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

16:9 is nice but not a deal breaker. 1920 x 1080 might be a bit too small at that size screen. HDCP won't matter for 99% of users. And it's nearly twice the price! So I would give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Onikage wrote: »
    16:9 is nice but not a deal breaker. 1920 x 1080 might be a bit too small at that size screen. HDCP won't matter for 99% of users. And it's nearly twice the price! So I would give it a miss.

I guess you're right. I might get that cheap one in a couple of weeks. I would only ever be using it for normal computer use at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

Anyboy know the image and dynamic contrast ratio of the €100 monitor?
    or should my wallet just trust everyone and accept you wont get a better monitor for ~€100? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

Which were ?

Mongey wrote: »
    Which were ?

See post #23, this thread.

It's typical that Dell's monitor prices are completely out of line with the market, who's gonna pay €100 extra for this?: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=185544 They've been over-pricing their monitors here for years (check the Dell US site for comparison, it's almost always cheaper)

Wake up and smell the coffee competition Dell! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

specs for this monitor are:

Type: LCD
    Screen Size: 22"
    Pitch Size: 0.282 x 0.282 mm
    Input: 1 x D-Sub
    1 x DVI-D

HDCP: No
    TV Tuner: No
    Resolution: 1680x1050
    Viewing Angle: 170 / 160 (°H/°V)
    Contrast Ratio: 1000 : 1
    Speakers: Yes
    Response Time: 5 ms
    Brightness: 400 cd/m²
    Web Camera: No
    Power Usage (Switched on): 60 W
    VESA: No
    Widescreen: Yes
    Monitor Colour: Black
    Dimensions (with stand): 510 x 416 x 220 mm (WxHxD)

not a clue what most of that means is this an alright monitor??

• Advertisement

It's typical that Dell's monitor prices are completely out of line with the market, who's gonna pay €100 extra for this?: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=185544 They've been over-pricing their monitors here for years (check the Dell US site for comparison, it's almost always cheaper)

Proof (if you needed it) that Dell hate Europe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not all monitors are the same. The panel on that model could be superior therefore justifying the higher prices.

Not all monitors are the same. The panel on that model could be superior therefore justifying the higher prices.

It is $189 dollars in the US.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=320-7184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Dell use the same technology is some of their monitors as the apple monitors.

Compare them prices with each other and you'll find dell are very competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

311 wrote: »
    Dell use the same technology is some of their monitors as the apple monitors.

Compare them prices with each other and you'll find dell are very competitive.

If you mean america then yes,dell and apple would appear to be quite competitive,but not in europe by as long shot,the mark up on some of their products is ludricious

That's equivalent to €134, almost €80 less than the Irish price, and much nearer the price of the Dabs 22" monitor at €116. Just goes to show that Dell do compete on price when it suits them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Doubtful. C'mon AC, it's Dell. Like Apple (and indeed every other multi-national), they bleed europe. And where better to start than Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Doubtful. C'mon AC, it's Dell. Like Apple (and indeed every other multi-national), they bleed europe. And where better to start than Ireland.
    I was comparing the dell monitor to the one this thread is about not the american price.

I was comparing the dell monitor to the one this thread is about not the american price.

i was making the automatic assumption, that being a brand name, Irish price would be at least 30-40% more expensive than America. My point being that Dell's Product Price is based more upon location than by quality.

i was making the automatic assumption, that being a brand name, Irish price would be at least 30-40% more expensive than America. My point being that Dell's Product Price is based more upon location than by quality.
    It's not even to do with the brand name. Things are generally more expensive here than america, brand name or not. Just because the dell is more expensive here than in america doesn't mean that it isn't superior to the dabs value model in the opening post. I'm not saying it is superior as I haven't a clue but I'm just pointing out that you can't compare two different monitors and say one is a rip off because it's the same size and more expensive.

It's not even to do with the brand name. Things are generally more expensive here than america, brand name or not. Just because the dell is more expensive here than in america doesn't mean that it isn't superior to the dabs value model in the opening post. I'm not saying it is superior as I haven't a clue but I'm just pointing out that you can't compare two different monitors and say one is a rip off because it's the same size and more expensive.
    Good point. I agree with you on that. You can't compare two monitors like that. Especially comparing two different products with two different companies would be inaccurate. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i dont think id buy it if its digimate, the last one of those i got from dabs had a stuck pixel and stopped working completely after a few weeks (thank god).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

Ignoring contrast ratios etc, would this be comparable to a 720p tv?
    Would it be better/worse, or just not noticeable on a 22" screen?

According to this website the monitor has a better resolution then a 720p tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

so can i just plug my xbox 360 straight into this or do i need an adapter or something? gonna order it today i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

griffdaddy wrote: »
    so can i just plug my xbox 360 straight into this or do i need an adapter or something? gonna order it today i think

You might need a female to female vga adapter, but these are pretty cheap.

I bought this monitor last week, no dead pixels, everything seems grand, only slight problem is you get a bit of brightness on the edges when it's very dark.

All in all a great deal, thanks for the heads up OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 gibbers

Hi

Can someone tell me if I need to purchase a cable with this monitor to connect it to my laptop? I can't find if there is a cable or not included on the dabs website.

If I need to buy one, any recommendations, probably VGA to VGA or is DVI better?

Forgive my ignorance, this is my first monitor purchase.

Cheers
    G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

gibbers wrote: »
    Hi

Can someone tell me if I need to purchase a cable with this monitor to connect it to my laptop? I can't find if there is a cable or not included on the dabs website.

If I need to buy one, any recommendations, probably VGA to VGA or is DVI better?

Cheers
    G

truthfully the type of cable you would buy would be Dependant on the the type of connection you have on your laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

gibbers wrote: »
    Hi

Cheers
    G

It comes with a VGA to VGA cable and power cord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 gibbers

Thanks Jimi, VGA will do perfectly.

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

well I'm not advertising , but I did buy this 22'' TFT from dabs.ie for € 114 delivered , and I must say it is really cool ........a real bargain

I was going to buy one in PC World before xmas and the cheapest was 225 euro .

Highly recommended ........speedy delivery by UPS too

Advertisement