Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CAR SWAP SCAMMER

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

be very careful about swapping the cars back again

your car could have used in a murder/kidnapping/robbery etc in the few
    days it was away from you

he could have also switiched the engines or some other parts depending on the car and its value

• Registered Users Posts: 42 braf89

that would be my fear as the car i swapped was a high powered car 350+bhp whereas the one i swapped for is only 220ish. i dont plan on swapping back as i did my research regarding insurance etc and i feel its not up to me now really.touch wood noting mechanically goes wrong in my new car. its a risk il just have to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

braf89 wrote: »
    that would be my fear as the car i swapped was a high powered car 350+bhp whereas the one i swapped for is only 220ish. i dont plan on swapping back as i did my research regarding insurance etc and i feel its not up to me now really.touch wood noting mechanically goes wrong in my new car. its a risk il just have to take.

As a few people have said, it would be no harm going to the police and telling them your story just to have it on the record/file.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If I bought a car, I would want the log book also.
    It would be a very foolish seller who would hand over the log book, except to a dealer of course.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Bring him to court for what?

You REALLY need to think about what you're posting before you post it..

Well, what ISNT there,

you really need to concider the facts:

threating/slander is a serious matter, one to which i would take upmost offence ( providing the person saying ti has a valid opinion ofcourse... but 99.98 % of the time, their joe nobody, you just let it go )

imho: go to the gardi and see where the car was last regged, go their, get your car back, everyone has a spare set of keys... if not, msot mechanics will do it for next to notihng...

then leave his car in the space where yours was, throw the keys in the letterbox and ban his number from your phone.

Jesus, is it Really that difficult or is a explanation Really needed ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

S.I.R wrote: »
    Well, what ISNT there,

threating/slander is a serious matter, one to which i would take upmost offence ( providing the person saying ti has a valid opinion ofcourse... but 99.98 % of the time, their joe nobody, you just let it go )

imho: go to the gardi and see where the car was last regged, go their, get your car back, everyone has a spare set of keys... if not, msot mechanics will do it for next to notihng...

then leave his car in the space where yours was, throw the keys in the letterbox and ban his number from your phone.

Threatening and Slander?
    Honestly..are you trying to come across as stupid?
    You can take as much offence as you like to it, any judge or garda in the country would piss themselves laughing at you.

and now you're suggesting to go to this guys house, steal a car that used to belong to the OP, leave a car that no longer belongs to the OP and then ban this other guys number from his phone..and you reckon the OP should bring this other guy to court..despite him doing nothing illegal(yet)?

uh huh..smart chap altogether you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Well, what ISNT there,

Have you been drinking a lot over the christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

esel wrote: »
    Your opinion is flawed. Never hand over the log book - after completion of details of new owner, and signing by both parties, it is the seller's responsibility to post it to Shannon. See Grahamo999's post for some consequences of not doing this. As a buyer, I always accompany the seller to the post box and witness them posting it.

Good job you guys are here to guide me isn't it. Luckily enough im only on my first car and i did see the owner posting off mine.

The point i was making was that the old owner should have never been left with the logbook after money had changed hands and the deal was done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

The old owner DOES hold onto the log book!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Like groupb said, the old owner holds on to the logbook and sends it to Shannon. IIRC, instructions are printed on the back.

OP; how did you get on?

• Advertisement

hi sorry havnt ben on in a while went into the station they took all details and said not 2 worry its a civil matter in the mean time the fella has got bck 2me and haid he got it cheacked out and the head gasket is about 2go. i didn think it was but wer settling that il pay d diff between me avin 2 replace tapets in the car i got off him nd d head gasket in his new car.but if e trys a smart 1 and says it was a ridiculous price e can go f**K himself:):):) all seems 2b ok. wud any1 no how much roughly a haed gasket for a nissan 300zx twin turbo would be? and then labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd hazard a guess at €700 upwards.

hi sorry havnt ben on in a while went into the station they took all details and said not 2 worry its a civil matter in the mean time the fella has got bck 2me and haid he got it cheacked out and the head gasket is about 2go. i didn think it was but wer settling that il pay d diff between me avin 2 replace tapets in the car i got off him nd d head gasket in his new car.but if e trys a smart 1 and says it was a ridiculous price e can go f**K himself:):):) all seems 2b ok. wud any1 no how much roughly a haed gasket for a nissan 300zx twin turbo would be? and then labour?

Don't agree to pay anything..

you're being taken for a ride here. Stand your ground and tell this guy to piss off!

il see what price es sayin it costs 1st and if its only a hundred or so its grand lik jus 2shut d fool up i was glad 2get rid of it coz i was sellin it for months and couldnt get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Your nuts!!!! and your being taken for a ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

cuculainn wrote: »
    Your nuts!!!! and your being taken for a ride

What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

What he said.

First he said he wanted the car swapped back because he couldn't insure it. Then he said it was damaged and now he "says" he got it checked and the headgasket is about to go...............Which is it...I'd want to see what garage he brought it to and speak to an independent mechanic first

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just out of interest: how can you tell a head gasket is 'about to go'? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@braf89, read the charter. A bit less of the txtspk please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Threatening and Slander?
    Honestly..are you trying to come across as stupid?
    You can take as much offence as you like to it, any judge or garda in the country would piss themselves laughing at you.

and now you're suggesting to go to this guys house, steal a car that used to belong to the OP, leave a car that no longer belongs to the OP and then ban this other guys number from his phone..and you reckon the OP should bring this other guy to court..despite him doing nothing illegal(yet)?

uh huh..smart chap altogether you are.

its your property though, so since when is stealing your own car illigal... or is getting into your own car without the use of keys just that bad ??

think about it, if you swap back... not much he can say as if he texted me sayin he wanted to do this that and the other... when i know he's just trashed the car...

he'd be lucky to have a car let alone get a swap back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

LOL, S.I.R. did you even read the OPs first post? He swapped cars with another guy. No money was exchanged but the cars did change ownership. In contract law 'consideration' must be given for any contract to be binding. In this case the consideration was the OP getting the other guy's car and vice-versa. Ownership documents were even signed and vehicles exchanged.

its your property though, so since when is stealing your own car illigal... or is getting into your own car without the use of keys just that bad ??

think about it, if you swap back... not much he can say as if he texted me sayin he wanted to do this that and the other... when i know he's just trashed the car...

Arghhh.

seriously. Just..eugh, not even worth the effort.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

il see what price es sayin it costs 1st and if its only a hundred or so its grand lik jus 2shut d fool up i was glad 2get rid of it coz i was sellin it for months and couldnt get rid of it.

I'd pay nothing if I were you. Caveat Emptor and all that. He should have had the car looked at before swapping. Gardai were right, it's a civil matter. I'd also be interested to hear how a mechanic knew the HG was 'about to go'. Had the car been overheating or something? Sounds to me like he's making up crap just to get a few quid out of you to cover his higher insurance on the more powerful car.

You'd be lucky to get a new head gasket and labour for €100 or so. Getting the head gasket changed usually costs anything upwards of €700 to €800, possibly more depending on how much work needs to be done. I had a little Matiz, and when the gasket went on that, lowest quote I could get was €1000 cos of the amount of labour. My OH and his Dad ended up changing it for me and I could see then why the quotes I got were so high, practically the whole engine had to be taken apart just to get at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Like the other fellas have said, tell him to **** off.

His excuse's are joke, everyone knows that when you buy a 2nd hand car in private sale, you get a mechanic to check it out before you buy and ringing the insurance company to see if you can insure the car is one of the first things you do.

He bought it without doing the basics and its only his fault.You dont owe him anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

To "swop back" takes agreement between two people to be a valid contract, else its just stealing. Please stop giving advice which is uninformed/illegal...

Also, to the OP, if you agree to pay this now, are you going to give him more money next week when he "discovers" another minor fault. The concept of Caveat Emptor applies to second hand cars and he should have gotten a mechanic to do a proper check first - its too late now and he has no come back so ignore him...

thanx lads and girls i tink i will jus tel him get urself a solicitor if ya want and that im not givin ya a penny coz it sounded fishy when he told me so like let him off.any advice on hydraulic tappets if they are tappety when cold will they need replacement or will cleaning them and using a thicker grade oil do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Ah a crazy read here :cool: glad you didnt cave in as this guy is definitely trying to take your for a ride!

Advertisement