Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New iphone owner - tips needed

• 25-12-2008 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I got a new 8 gig iphone for Christmas. I'm looking for any help with regard cool / helpful applications or general tips with using the iphone.

Please post and comment here!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Peter B wrote: »
    I got a new 8 gig iphone for Christmas. I'm looking for any help with regard cool / helpful applications or general tips with using the iphone.

Please post and comment here!

Depends what you want to use it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Really dude, the phone has been out for ages now, there are whole sites/blogs that just talk about apps and the like.

I know your excited about your new purchase/gift but 2 minutes on google would give you 10000000x more info than you would ever get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Well I thought it might be a help to me and other people on here. A lot of people are looking for good advice and would trust boards.ie above other websites - me included.

I would also be looking for advice from people with an Irish perspective, something not many other websites have.

I understand there is a problem with the battery and want to know what settings I have to change to help improve battery life.

I have always used Cabbage on my last phone.Is this available or are there any similar applications which can perform the same tasks? I would like to avoid having to go onto O2.ie.

Any other decent applications people have found useful and handy?

Is it worth registering?

Any tips? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was reading an article about the iPhone 3G's battery life and apparently it is harder on the battery than the original iPhone. It gave some tips as to how to prolong the battery between charges. I don't have the link here but some of the tips were:

1. Switch off 3G unless you are using it.
    2. Switch off Bluetooth unless you are using it.
    3. If you regularly read email, change your settings so mail is retrieved less often.
    4. Change the settings so the phone goes into that standby mode sooner rather than later. I know on the iPod touch you can have it lock after 1 minute.

I'm sure there are other tricks you can do to prolong the use between charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

My tip:
    Sell it!
    Seriously!
    I bought one just before xmas, in a silly mood, cause I thought: IT'S ****E, BUT maybe I'm missing something... I was impressed for a couple of hours. Then I realised I was right in my suspicions: it's an overrated fashion phone! And the appstore: my ar*e! It's mostly games and stupidly copied apps that have been available for wm or s60 for ages...
    Yes, I was stupid, but so what...
    It's an experience, alright.
    Well, I'm obviously selling it now, though I feel sorry for whoever ends up buying it!

On the other hand, if you don't mind a limited shiny piece of dumbphone, you may well end up loving it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

strecker wrote: »
    My tip:
    Sell it!
    Seriously!
    I bought one just before xmas, in a silly mood, cause I thought: IT'S ****E, BUT maybe I'm missing something... I was impressed for a couple of hours. Then I realised I was right in my suspicions: it's an overrated fashion phone! And the appstore: my ar*e! It's mostly games and stupidly copied apps that have been available for wm or s60 for ages...
    Well, I'm obviously selling it now, though I feel sorry for whoever ends up buying it!

On the other hand, if you don't mind a limited shiny piece of dumbphone, you may well end up loving it!

Yet more ill-informed drivel from yet another iPhone detractor.

Apart from saying it is sh1te, care to elaborate as to why you think it is?

As we have discussed numerous times on this forum, it does what it does quite well. And for a lot of people, not everyone, that's all that matters.

You won't beat it's user interface. You won't beat it's web browsing interface and you won't beat it's music playing interface. To me, everything else is superfluous.

Yes, it has it's faults, but show me one phone that is perfect in every way.

Edit: To the OP, have a look at Eirtext - saved me a fortune on SMS text messages. Also, AllRadio - streaming radio for the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

is there any way i can change the ipod title screen to show the complete title of a song?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yet more ill-informed drivel from yet another iPhone detractor.

Apart from saying it is sh1te, care to elaborate as to why you think it is?

As we have discussed numerous times on this forum, it does what it does quite well. And for a lot of people, not everyone, that's all that matters.

You won't beat it's user interface. You won't beat it's web browsing interface and you won't beat it's music playing interface. To me, everything else is superfluous.

Yes, it has it's faults, but show me one phone that is perfect in every way.

Edit: To the OP, have a look at Eirtext - saved me a fortune on SMS text messages. Also, AllRadio - streaming radio for the iPhone.

Hahaha...
    There are countless better phones, but you won't listen cause you'd never admit to yourself and/or others that you just fell for the charme of a simple fashion phone. you're drivel-ling! I bought it knowing it wouldn't really meet my needs. As, I said it, an 'experiment'! It s a gorgeous fashion phone with an inspired UI. It does what it does well. For everything else, get a real phone.

Driveldriveldrivel Mr arrogant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Peter B wrote: »
    I would like to avoid having to go onto O2.ie.
    )

Why? The iPhone forum on O2.ie is very useful and the customer service people that moderate it are more than helpful - not that Boardsies aren't as helpful but at least it's specifically aimed at iPhone users and isn't full of Microsoft fanboys hurling abuse at the slightest mention of anything Apple related.

Here's a direct link if you want to try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

OP congrats on the purchase, 5 1/2 months in, still loving the iPhone.

Apps that are good:
    Eirtext Pro, Fring, Shazam, Facebook, Google.

Web brosing great, read the daily papers every morning o it during my bus commute to work.

Got an email telling bout Irl-NZ match tickets and purchased them with my iPhone too.

getting a US itunes acc is great for downloading movies, tv shows and apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I had an iPod Touch since last Febuary before getting an iPhone last Sunday. I know which apps are worth having on the iPhone from all my experimenting with my iPod :pac:

So I only have the 7 currently installed:
    Pixelpipe - To upload photos directly to bebo, it's the only way without jailbreaking and getting an mms app as bebo doesn't have its own app yet and file uploads aren't supported in safari.
    EirText Pro - Must have for all Irish users. Actually use the free web-texts you get allocated :)
    Labyrinth - Must have, try the lite (demo) version if you don't believe me.
    Twitterfon - Twitter client, theres a whole load of these on the app store (both free/paid). I'd reccomend playing around with the free ones to find a favorite if you use twitter.
    Remote - For iTunes controlling over Wi-Fi
    Ocarina - Click here
    and Tap Tap - Awesome game, free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Soarer

strecker wrote: »
    My tip:
    Sell it!
    Seriously!

I can do nothing but disagree with pretty much everything you've said.

I don't like "following the crowd", and because there are a good few iPhones around the place, I decided to go against the grain and bought an HTC Touch HD. €650 sim-free.
    Sold it within a month for €500!:o
    Just couldn't get on with it.

Decided to give the iPhone a try, and bought a PAYG 16gb on O2 for €570 just before Christmas.
    Best move I ever made!
    I'm on it constantly. So user friendly. And all the apps and games available for it make it totally customizable (sp?).

So take it from someone that's been on both sides of the fence...the iPhone side is a lot greener!:cool:

As for apps, check out this thread over on AVForums.

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Does AllRadio stream all Irish radio stations?
    I'm looking for an app that does. I've tried fstream, but the only ones I can get working are 96fm (local Cork station) and newstalk. Would like to get TodayFM, Radio 1, and 2fm if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Soarer wrote: »
    Does AllRadio stream all Irish radio stations

I have a few radio apps for the iPhone and I have to say that AllRadio is the worst: crashes constantly. I never got it to run long enough to find out if it has Irish stations.

Much better is WunderRadio, which does have all the Irish stations and doesn't crash.

Thanks Ernie.

I''ve downloaded and installed WunderRadio, and it seems to be working a treat. :D
    I've got the usual suspect national stations installed ie. TodayFM, 2fm. are there any other (local, national, International) stations that I should stream?:confused:

Edit. Sorry OP, I've kinda hijacked your thread! Hopefully you're getting some useful information from my stupidity!

Soarer wrote: »
    I can do nothing but disagree with pretty much everything you've said.

I don't like "following the crowd", and because there are a good few iPhones around the place, I decided to go against the grain and bought an HTC Touch HD. €650 sim-free.
    Sold it within a month for €500!:o
    Just couldn't get on with it.

Decided to give the iPhone a try, and bought a PAYG 16gb on O2 for €570 just before Christmas.
    Best move I ever made!
    I'm on it constantly. So user friendly. And all the apps and games available for it make it totally customizable (sp?).

So take it from someone that's been on both sides of the fence...the iPhone side is a lot greener!:cool:

As for apps, check out this thread over on AVForums.

I've been on both sides of the fence...I've even been on the fence itself.
    But glad you enjoy the iphone.

Advertisement