Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E71 - Contact Issues

• 25-12-2008 8:45pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For those using the Nokia E71 and having problems getting contacts name displaying in the Inbox after importing contacts from a previous Nokia phone - I had the same issue and despite Googling with no fix I managed to fix it myself. Here is how I did it..

1) Check that the contact is not entered twice. If it is, then delete the duplicate. Chances of duplicate should be slim - it happened to me because I started with Bluetooth transfer but it was to slow so switched to cable and forgot to go back to blank.

2) If you have no duplicates, the problem still persists. For me the problem was due to the different type of numbers I could have for a contact. For example - contact Anna had 3 different numbers associated with it. On my old Nokia I did these as Mobile, Mobile Home and Telephone. When they transfered over to my new Nokia, they were not stored in the same way. They all ended up under contact Anna but as "Mobile, Mobile, Mobile" rather then "Mobile, Mobile Home, Telephone". I just removed these and the contact was recognised then they sent a new text.

Bare in mind this testing was done on a handfull of texts. I first tested with duplications, wasnt working so fixed. Then checked with none, worked. Then tested with no duplicates but with multiple numbers for that name, wasnt working so fixed. Ill test it on more messages later, and try re-name each type of number to see if it makes a difference. The problem is, it seems, with how the numbers are stored in the phone from a restore method. When you fix the contacts it doesnt fix the current bunch of messages. Only new ones.

Hope this sheds some light.

EDIT: One more thing - the bug also affected delivery reports. It wasnt showing the persons name. Contact List was fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

cool, I wondering how you fix that problem, so how's it going so far Sully, do you like?

happy xmas!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Only began using today. So far so good but keyboard is new to me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just an update - after fixing contacts, I re-imported my messages. They dont update with a name so I dont think the contacts are the issue. Its something to do with how the messages are imported. Id try via Bluetooth but there on my SIM which is no longer working (got a new SIM).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I can't get the messages names to update either but your tip solved the contacts problem....now if I could only delete my emails (when I try to do a red strike out mark appears on the messages but they won't disappear from the phone):rolleyes:

Same in my last nokia. I don't use the application. Google have a decent app for hosted and gmail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement