Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem bleeding rads

Options
  • 25-12-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Upon bleeding the rads of my new flat, I find that bleeding doesn't work on some of them.
    The radiator is very warm at the bottom, but upon unscrewing the screw, i get maybe a tiny bit of air, then it stops and the water level doesn't raise.
    This happens on 3 of the rads.
    Is there anything else i can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

In our house there is a water container in the attic that i need to check every now and again to make sure that its topped up with water, do you have access to check that ?
    if your renting shouldnt your landlord cover that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Are you sure that both valves are actually open? They should be turned fully anticlockwise.
    Also, you are bleeding the valves when the system is 'on' - right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If you are not getting air or water out of the bleed screws then either both radiator valves are closed tight, or there is not enough pressure in the system.

You don't need both rad valves open, in fact you should not need to adjust the setting of the lockshield valve at all. It is generally not a good idea to bleed the radiators when the system is running as you are more likely to draw in air if the system pressure is low.

Take a look at the boiler - does it have a pressure gauge? It should be reading around 1 bar when cold. You need to top up the water pressure in the boiler if it does not. Then go around and bleed the radiators. As you remove the air from the radiators the system pressure will drop, so you may need to top up the water again.

Repeat the exercise after a couple of days when any air trapped in pipes will have found its way into the radiators and collected there.

Advertisement