Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone WON a VRT appeal ?

• 25-12-2008 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I know there have been many posts on this or related topics but I have not seen a straight answer to the question.

Has anyone out there actually won a VRT appeal ? If so, would you care to share the details ?

I know the procedure but havn't tried it as I suspect it could be a waste of time, other than as registering a protest vote. A friend tried it for a BMW 320 using carzone adverts and quotes/valuations from two BMW garages as supporting material but no joy.

Two cars I was considering importing are 06 P407 1.6 HDi 110 SE (OMSP is 18,500 but can be bought retail in Dublin for 12,000) and 05 Volvo XC90 (OMSP is 60k odd, but AutoBoland Volvo in Waterford have (had?) one for sale at 35k).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

No

Or the long answer:

Sent in an appeal last month got a letter on the 11th of Nov saying they had recieved the letter and giving a reference number. Tried to ring the number a few times before Christmas but couldn't get through. Message giving the opening hours even though I was calling during those hours. Will try calling in the new year. Not to hopeful though. VRT is a horrible ripoff €5500 on a car I paid €12000 for .:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can further appeal Revenue's decision on your appeal to the Appeal Commissioners, who are independent. Imo, the Appeal Commissioners would be more objective than Revenue. I have no experience of the process, but I would think that written offers from dealers to sell you a similar car for a stated price would help your case. Submit as much documentary proof with your original appeal as you can. I would think you would not be allowed to introduce further evidence at the Appeal Commissioners stage.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

see this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0827/1219680029667.html
    Figures obtained from the Revenue Commissioners by The Irish Times reveal that in 2007, some 98,353 used vehicles were imported and registered in the State. Of these, just 540 cases appealed the VRT assessment.

But the figures also reveal that, of the 540 appeals, 409 were successful, indicating that the Revenue Commissioner's estimate of the open market selling price is significantly inflated.

The success rate of appeals would support research published in last week's Motors which showed that the Revenue's open market selling price estimate was consistently significantly higher than that of vehicles offered for sale on websites carzone.ie and autotrader.ie. Examples of cars for sale showed a Saab 9-3 Aero was overvalued by as much as €13,000; an Audi A4 by more than €7,000 and a VW Passat by almost €3,000.
    about 80% of appeals were upheld - this really indicates that something is wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

kbannon wrote: »
    see this: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0827/1219680029667.html

about 80% of appeals were upheld - this really indicates that something is wrong!

Definitely something wrong. VRT system is blatently unfair but what can be done about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

my dad took in a 03 vectra last year, after sending his letter along with 2/3 carzone same spec etc but lower car prices than the vrt valued he got 500 back off them 2 months later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

claim her as a commerical, tint the windows, pay 50 quid vrt and cheaper tax/insurance, if gardi ask its a twin cab ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi

Oh my word: just imagine ---- 98,353 vehicles imported and registered in the State in 07; of these only 540 cases appealed the VRT, yet about 80% won. This means that of the 98,353, about 78, 682 could have appealed and won and were probably overcharged. Lets say that it was just €1000 each (we know that it could be a lot more) thats €78682400. Em its just beyond belief.

I was looking at importing a Volvo XC90 - I found a great example 05 full leather in the trade via my UK links and then when I went on the VRT website found out they had valued the car at over €55000 and wanted something like €24000 in vrt.

I thought it must be a mistake - so didnt even bother looking into it

Why dont you call u the revenue and ask them if the OMSP is way out on the Volvo Xc90 and then if so - let me know because I want to import one of these myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Car-dealer wrote: »
    Hi

Oh my word: just imagine ---- 98,353 vehicles imported and registered in the State in 07; of these only 540 cases appealed the VRT, yet about 80% won. This means that of the 98,353, about 78, 682 could have appealed and won and were probably overcharged. Lets say that it was just €1000 each (we know that it could be a lot more) thats €78682400. Em its just beyond belief.

I was looking at importing a Volvo XC90 - I found a great example 05 full leather in the trade via my UK links and then when I went on the VRT website found out they had valued the car at over €55000 and wanted something like €24000 in vrt.

I thought it must be a mistake - so didnt even bother looking into it

Why dont you call u the revenue and ask them if the OMSP is way out on the Volvo Xc90 and then if so - let me know because I want to import one of these myself.

The problem is you have to pay the VRT first and appeal afterwards and could take several months.

I had a successful appeal and I got just over 200 euro back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

To the people getting mere hundreds back, can you lets us know the total VRT paid. With VRT in the tens of thousands on the cars Ive looked at and mentioned on the thread, 500 is not worth the effort.

From this thread one could conclude VRT appeals that dont amount to much € are successful..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

HI

sounds like the above has money to burn - hundreds is not like 20cent - 500 is a fair amount to anyone, and lets face it, for the sake of writing a letter, printing off some adds from carzone and autotrader, making a call to your local dealer, and then popping a letter in the post: I'd do that day in day out if I got anything from €50-500 back!

Also: as I said millions of times, VRT is a disgrace - EVERYONE APPEAL - even if you dont get a cent back make those ROBBERS at the vrt office do something for the money youve handed over.

Plus: of all those who appeal - 80% WIN

If the Government Overcharge you VRT: then you appeal and win, you get money back months later - I think you have a strong case to charge the Government for the time you used making the appeal say €50 and then interest on the money that was taken off you that could have earned interest in the bank at say 5%
    I might request this next time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

wait till 2009....the amount of cars going to be imported here will be unreal. The vro though will try and tax them out of it otherwise its sunset city for decent car dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Car-dealer wrote: »
    HI

sounds like the above has money to burn - hundreds is not like 20cent - 500 is a fair amount to anyone, and lets face it, for the sake of writing a letter, printing off some adds from carzone and autotrader, making a call to your local dealer, and then popping a letter in the post: I'd do that day in day out if I got anything from €50-500 back!

If I had money to burn then I wouldnt even ask would I? Yes, EUR500 back (2 mths later..) is nice and all, but when paying 10, 15, 20k VRT, W(ho)TF cares?
    Real money over a period of car ownership please, EUR500 is a drop in the ocean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Hi,

thanks to all for their comments, esp. to kbannon for the statistics and to dingding and patrickc for the info on positive results. Looks like the chances of a successful appeal are better than I thought !

If I go ahead with the P407 import I'll appeal the amount because the saving if successful is about 1000 - worth the gamble in my books !

There is also the chance of the OMSPs getting an overhaul for Jan 1st as opposed to the gradual monthly drops, but I guess not very likely !

Car-dealer, my thinking on the XC90 at the moment is that it wouldn't pay to import one since the VRT is totally ridiculously high, and you have to pay before you appeal. The price of X5s, Touraegs, etc have dropped to the floor in Merlin, so I might just wait for a repo XC90 to appear at auction here. I'd expect to buy a 05 one for no more than 30k, since they are being sold retail for 35k.

robz150, would you be willing to tell us how you fare out with your appeal, what is whenever the Revenue decide they are going to process it ??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 VRTJournalist

Hi guys

I am a journalist with a national broadcaster doing a story about the vast difference between what VRT quotes as the open market selling price and what it actually is.

Can anybody who has been successful with their appeal and wouldnt mind talking for a few mins on air about this contact me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 boatman1

hi vrt journalist just wondering has that programme aired yet if so i wouldnt mind listening to it thanks

Advertisement