Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any secret society in CIT?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

i always wanted to be in a secret society, no matter how mediocre it might be. if there is one someone pls send me a pm

or else maybe we can get a few peeps together and start one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

towel401 wrote: »
    i always wanted to be in a secret society, no matter how mediocre it might be. if there is one someone pls send me a pm

or else maybe we can get a few peeps together and start one

Sorry no coillte allowed!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Sorry no collte allowed!:p

collte?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

towel401 wrote: »
    collte?

The Irish for Culchie

Derivation

A suggested origin of the word comes from an old Gaelic term "cúl a' tí", meaning the back of the house. It was, and still is to a certain extent, common practice in rural areas to enter a neighbour's house through the back door, rather than the front (which is for more formal visits). Thus the term cúl a' tí or culchie was applied to these country people. Also, many city dwellers from Dublin tenements had to work as servants. The servants were not permitted to enter the house from the front but had to use the back door or servants entrance. However the latter does not explain why country people (as opposed to city people) are called "culchies".

Another possible derivation is from the Irish coillte meaning "the wood/forest", to describe people who lived in the woods. Yet another perceived derivation, however, comes from a shortening and alteration of Kiltimagh, a town in County Mayo. A further, simpler, explanation is that the word derives from the word agriCULTURE, highlighting the industrial/agricultural divide between rural and urban populations.

Culchies are seen as simple people who have a fairly direct manner, physical strength, limited social skills, and a rich accent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culchie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Scottie99 wrote: »
    The Irish for Culchie

Derivation

A suggested origin of the word comes from an old Gaelic term "cúl a' tí", meaning the back of the house. It was, and still is to a certain extent, common practice in rural areas to enter a neighbour's house through the back door, rather than the front (which is for more formal visits). Thus the term cúl a' tí or culchie was applied to these country people. Also, many city dwellers from Dublin tenements had to work as servants. The servants were not permitted to enter the house from the front but had to use the back door or servants entrance. However the latter does not explain why country people (as opposed to city people) are called "culchies".

Another possible derivation is from the Irish coillte meaning "the wood/forest", to describe people who lived in the woods. Yet another perceived derivation, however, comes from a shortening and alteration of Kiltimagh, a town in County Mayo. A further, simpler, explanation is that the word derives from the word agriCULTURE, highlighting the industrial/agricultural divide between rural and urban populations.

Culchies are seen as simple people who have a fairly direct manner, physical strength, limited social skills, and a rich accent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culchie

That's wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Back to the point there's a society called the Gimpluminatti who are secretly running the world from their base in CIT. They meet every Monday evening to discuss their world domination plans and to play twister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭yy885

as far as I know..there have one called something but that I am not able to tell you in the public.

Their target are taste and find which is the best PIZZA !! They have tried every single type of PIZZA that they can get from the Bishopstown.

Anyone want to join?

[COLOR=white]BTW: I am the only member in that society[/COLOR]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

The first rule is ....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Back to the point there's a society called the Gimpluminatti who are secretly running the world from their base in CIT. They meet every Monday evening to discuss their world domination plans and to play twister.

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHH shut up!

Who makes Steve Guttenberg, a star? We do !

Advertisement