Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N95 vs Nokai N96

• 26-12-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Got the N96 from Santa, but asked for N95. Does anybody think I be mad to bring back the N96 and exchange it for N95?? Think N96 looks huge compare to N95 and think the specs are similar. Appreciate any help. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Loads of people on symbian-freak.com are after bringing back their N96 for the N95. Personally I would bring it back and exchange it for the N95. Ya cant hack the N96 at the moment :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

hehe,kind of the same story here. Got my n95 2 days ago, I Was trying to get the n96 but settled for the n95 as it was the only one in stock.
    Here are the differences listed
    wikipedia wrote:
    Major differences between N95 and N96

* 2.8 inch display with 16.7 (16.777.261) million colours (same as N95 8GB, versus 2.6" display for original N95)
    * Camera flash with Powerful Double LED flash. (Single LED in the N95)
    * New audio DSP for improved audio quality and longer playback time.
    * Longer music playback time (14 hrs) and video playback time (6 hrs)
    * Windows Media WMV9 video codec is added.
    * Hardware acceleration for video codecs for H.264 and WMV (as well as MPEG4 as before)
    * Mobile TV DVB-H 1.0 receiver is built into N96
    * S60 3rd Edition is upgraded from Feature Pack 1 to Feature Pack 2
    * Symbian OS is upgraded from version 9.2 to 9.3 (9.3 is smarter and more reliable)
    * The Java ME engine is upgraded from MIDP 2.0 to MIDP 2.1
    * User data is preserved when upgrading firmware (This feature is also present on the N95-2 as v21 installs UDP base files)
    * Open C,C++
    * New Quick Office application opens all types of [Microsoft Office] files[citation needed]
    * Visual Radio v2.0
    * New version of Nokia Video Centre (Show&Edit Videos)
    * New release of Nokia Experience Software
    * (geotagging) of pictures, using the integrated GPS (Also possible with N95/N95 8GB)
    * Micro 2.0 Hi-Speed USB (Write 3 Mbit/s /Read 4.1 Mbit/s) (N95/N95 8G use Full-Speed USB)
    * MicroSD memory card slot (as in original N95, while N95 8GB has no card slot)
    * RSS 2.1 Reader
    * Downloadable maps (Google Maps, Nokia Maps, Route 66, etc)
    * Home Media Solution (sync with DLNA / UPnP devices over WLAN)
    * The FM radio is upgraded with RDS
    * N96 is a dual-band HSDPA (900 and 2100MHz) (while N95 was a single band (2100))
    * No need to open the slide for optimal GPS reception.
    * Thinner and lighter than N95 8GB.
    * N-Gage free games coupon (varies by country) [Just 1 game free].
    * Nokia N96 has VGA video call camera (N95/N95 8G has CIF)
    * Video Light - Allows illumination when recording video in the dark (the N95 doesn't have Video Light)
    * Back up feature - Allows the user to back up the phones settings on to a Micro SD memory card. This includes contacts, massages and media. This allows for easy restoration (the N95 doesn't have this)
    * Video Stabilization
    * Upgraded Bluetooth Stereo Audio
    * Stronger and super qualitative sound and 3D speakers (N95 8gp normal speakers)
    * FOTA Firmware over the Air
    * OMA E-mail Notification v1.0
    * OMA Device Management v1.2
    * WEP 2.0 support
    * OpenGL ES 1.1 Plugin
    * The Internet browser has improved usability and compatibility
    * Dual Transfer Mode (MSC 11)
    * Support SPP Bluetooth Profiles
    * N95/N95 8G has 2.8/5.6 Lens (N96 has 2.8/5.2)

Seems like a lot of differences but I think they are very minor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Hmm still undecided. I liked the feel of N95 8gb though. N96 still in its box didnt even bother playing around with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i have the N78 which is the candy form of that phone and i like it alot.

between the N95 and N96 i would keep the N96. looks nicer :) and its alot newer - everyone doesnt have one ! :)

(hmmm i put N98 into google my mistake and it came up saying it could compete with the iphone... hmmm - back to google for me :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Keith186

DonFred wrote: »
    Got the N96 from Santa, but asked for N95. Does anybody think I be mad to bring back the N96 and exchange it for N95?? Think N96 looks huge compare to N95 and think the specs are similar. Appreciate any help. Cheers

I have the N95 too but the N96 looks better. I read some posts a while back saying that the processing power was the same or similar on the N96 and that
    it's not worth the money for the smaller differences, so I reckon if you prefer the N95 get that one as long as they refund you the difference.

Seanybiker, what do you mean can't hack the N96? Unlock it?
    Just wondering if I'm missing out on something on my N95.

• Advertisement

Im actually leaning toward the N95 now. Dont like the feel of the N96 feels very cheap. Yes its expensive as its sim free so hopefully they exchange it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I upgraded from the N95 to the N96 a few weeks ago, to be honest i couldnt see myself going back to the 95,.

The camera on both was a main factor in buying them to begin with and the N96 camera is a lot better than the N95, the flash has 2 LEDs instead of the single one on the N95 meaning better shots in darness and it can be use on video mode. its also a lot quicker to focus than the N95.,,

theres also the brighter screen and the amount of memory available both internally and an from the Micro SD. Theres also a proper GPS reciever built in unlike the N95.,

The kick stand thingy is a bit of a gimick that i havent really used that much. one thing i do like is the menu transitions which are far smoother than the N95's and the auto rotate that didnt come with the n95 originally.,

theres apparently a "navi wheel" on the N96 too but it hasn't been activated yet due to firmware problems with original handsets. If you have or are planning to get this i would highly reccomend the V12 firmware which is far more stable than the one that came pre installed, i had a few problems with freezing and just being slugish before i did the firmware update.,

All in all its essentially a very polished version of the N95 but i think its a big improvement and it looks far better. as far as size is concerned, both the N95 and the N96 are exactly the same size, its just the flat flat design that makes it seem bigger.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have an N95i if you want so swap the N96 - would throw in a few quid too of course!!

I dont think i be swoppiing it lol. Be taken back to shop asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

When I said a few quid, I meant 300 euro or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i wouldnt be looking for an n95, feels just as flimsy at the n96, get one of the candybars, either the n82 or the new n79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm not that impressed with the build quality of these slider phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

Yea, the build quality of my N85 isnt the best tbh. I hope I can get Nokia to tighten up the slider at some stage!

Thanks for all comments but I have brought phone back and got money back. Going to wait for a bit see what else new could be available maybe the nokia 5800 touchscreen looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 34 roryj

I've had the n96 for a month now having replaced my n95 8g.and while i loved the n95 and initially considered having made a big mistake in changing , there is no doubt but that the n96 is a superior phone . the sat nav lock is very fast and the phone is every bit as fast with the most recent software . I'ts a bummer that the 6f battery won't fit but it's hard to have every thing.

Whats the big deal about the 6f battery? I assume its bigger. Its that from the N95

I got an n96 last week and I'm really liking it. The build quality is ok, but could be better. It creaks just a tiny bit but this hasn't put me off. As far as the software goes,I've found it pretty good. Menus etc load quickly and I haven't had any problems with freezing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

How long is the battery lasting and what is your typical use?
    I went from a N95 to an E71 because of battery life and size but I miss the multimedia side of things; camera etc

I wish Nokia could get the same battery life that Sony can get.

richieg wrote: »
    How long is the battery lasting and what is your typical use?
    I went from a N95 to an E71 because of battery life and size but I miss the multimedia side of things; camera etc

I have to charge it every night, the battery drains quickly with heavy use of internet/wifi/gps etc. As for multimedia it's a fantastic device. I find the screen and sound to be excellent. The built in web browser is pretty good and gps is also very well implemented.

• Advertisement
Advertisement