Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6/4 Motorway Galway to Dublin (for discussing completed sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Roryhy wrote: »
    So if someones in the overtaking lane driving at 80kph with no traffic in the left lane, what in your opinion is the appropriate action to take?

In the following order,

1) Slow down
    2) Flash
    3) Flash again
    4) Beep
    5) Beep again
    6) Beep and flash

If none of these cause the fool to move, you can THEN go past her as she will have noticed you at this stage through the beeping/flashing and thus the danger is minimised. *

* Dont do any of the above if your not in a hurry. Remember that up to 2 weeks ago, you would not be able to overtake them on the old road anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

In the following order,

1) Slow down
    2) Flash
    3) Flash again
    4) Beep
    5) Beep again
    6) Beep and flash

If none of these cause the fool to move, you can THEN go past her as she will have noticed you at this stage through the beeping/flashing and thus the danger is minimised. *

* Dont do any of the above if your not in a hurry. Remember that up to 2 weeks ago, you would not be able to overtake them on the old road anyway

The above is all illegal isn't it? I'm pretty sure the flashing is anyway, not sure about the beeping. I for 1 wouldn't be waiting around, better things to be doing. Up the left and on with my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

mackerski wrote: »
    No excuse - the keep left rule has been with us for a long time and it was even the subject of TV ads in the 80s. And yet I know all about the outside lane hogging you describe.

Let's see if it works.

There is a VMS Eastbound on the M6 between J19 & J18 displaying the message "Drive on the Left", "Overtake on the Right".

I was on the N4 Lucan Bypass Westbound about a week ago and there was a VMS displaying the same message as the one on the M6. It's good to see that the NRA have finally decided to do something like this, we have been saying signs have been needed for ages on here. Especially on the Lucan Bypass which probably has the worst lane discipline of any road in the country (although there are some contributing factors in my opinion).

I do want to go out and get some photos/videos of the M6 Galway-Ballinasloe, but the weather has been so bad I haven't made it out. Hopefully the weather will improve soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The above is all illegal isn't it? I'm pretty sure the flashing is anyway, not sure about the beeping. I for 1 wouldn't be waiting around, better things to be doing. Up the left and on with my day.

Passing on the left is similarly illegal, and incalculably more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

KevR wrote: »
    I do want to go out and get some photos/videos of the M6 Galway-Ballinasloe, but the weather has been so bad I haven't made it out. Hopefully the weather will improve soon.

Tell me about it. I'd love to suss out Castletown-Nenagh on the M7 but you just can't in these conditions, and even if you could, picture quality would be very poor.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    There is a VMS Eastbound on the M6 between J19 & J18 displaying the message "Drive on the Left", "Overtake on the Right".

It would be even more effective if attached to a number plate reader and flashed up at lone right (middle) hand lane drivers!

But then again many Irish drivers simply don't read traffic signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

transport21 has winter 2009 newletter on line now.Minister Dempsey
    No projects have been cancelled, planning
    continues and Transport 21 remains the strategic framework for
    investment in Ireland’s transport network for the years ahead.

link below

http://www.transport21.ie/Publications/upload/File/Newsletter%20winter%20%202009%20pdf.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

heh... its a little bit shoddy, they have their Ms and Ns all mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There is something I can't understand, on approach to the Athlone Bypass heading westbound, there is a clear junction indicator that both the route ahead and the turn off (the Birr road junction) are N routes as they have green boxes on a blue sign, but heading east bound the signs for the first turn off (the Tuam road) seem to indicate that the road continues to be motorway after the junction.
    I also notice that there are still 100km/h signs on the westbound entry to the motorway for that junction as well. Not to mention that if you are overtaking an Artic truck heading east bound you could easily miss the signage for the end of motorway as it and all the speed limit signs are in the left hand ditch only.
    A bit of consistency would be nice on the signage.

flazio wrote: »
    There is something I can't understand, on approach to the Athlone Bypass heading westbound, there is a clear junction indicator that both the route ahead and the turn off (the Birr road junction) are N routes as they have green boxes on a blue sign, but heading east bound the signs for the first turn off (the Tuam road) seem to indicate that the road continues to be motorway after the junction.
    I also notice that there are still 100km/h signs on the westbound entry to the motorway for that junction as well. Not to mention that if you are overtaking an Artic truck heading east bound you could easily miss the signage for the end of motorway as it and all the speed limit signs are in the left hand ditch only.
    A bit of consistency would be nice on the signage.

The decision as to whether the Athlone relief road is N or M has yet to be taken, The westbound sign for Birr is correct the one eastbound should be green with a blue patch for the M6.

The signage at the Tuam road exit assumes motorway when it isn't! Thry should be green. Anyone have any idea when the decision will be made so that this section can be correctly signed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

I took a few pics heading westbound last week when I was a passenger, full list of images available at:
    http://pix.ie/oddiot/album/361255

It's a fantastic scheme, and M50 to the end of the scheme is a nice sub 2-hour journey.

Some of the interesting shots are:

Damaged metal barrier between Athlone and Balinasloe.
    5BCEEF51BE6C468382C34AFDDD10DC94-500.jpg

End of metal barrier and tie in with jersey barrier for Balinasloe to Galway section:
    F7BF98D273EE40B2810A672E8E8363C1-500.jpg

Typical route confirmation sign:
    9D3DF4DA3AE64A7B968D00D1640AAFBD-500.jpg

Cool rock formation:
    D71CE1BF6C784B00BE36275CA0489D25-500.jpg

Wide view at Athenry exit, Athenry is just to the right of this photo:
    47E6331010E64FFBA70E63F0C4F21589-500.jpg

Very wide hard shoulder between J17 and J19. Could this be where J18 will be constructed in the future?
    15FB9078B61740BA8BB56B0B46E26496-500.jpg

Approaching end of motorway regulations at J19:
    E30C0ABFFAFB4C6290BD32953BDE317E-500.jpg

Approaching Coolagh roundabout, end of scheme at J20:
    F488216C3E0340768702BDC1E8658075-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Snow in Ireland :eek:
    Wow!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

If there's room in the left lane to drive past the car in the overtaking lane then i see no problem with that move, its the car in the overtaking lane thats in the wrong IMO. I've often thought about this, what do the rules of the road say?
    The rules state that if you find yourself in the overtaking lane, but being held up by a slowing moving vehicle, you cannot swerve into the driving lane, undertake the vehicle in the overtaking lane, and then swerve back out of the driving lane and into the overtaking lane.
    The correct course of action is to indicate into the driving lane, and then either maintain your current speed in the driving lane or increase your speed up to the maximum speed for that road and if that brings you by the slow moving vehicle in the overtaking lane, you are not at fault.
    You must remain in the driving lane until you have reached a reasonable distance beyond the car in the overtaking lane, and it is safe to indicate out of the driving lane and into the overtaking lane.

The rules state that if you find yourself in the overtaking lane, but being held up by a slowing moving vehicle, you cannot swerve into the driving lane, undertake the vehicle in the overtaking lane, and then swerve back out of the driving lane and into the overtaking lane.
    The correct course of action is to indicate into the driving lane, and then either maintain your current speed in the driving lane or increase your speed up to the maximum speed for that road and if that brings you by the slow moving vehicle in the overtaking lane, you are not at fault.
    You must remain in the driving lane until you have reached a reasonable distance beyond the car in the overtaking lane, and it is safe to indicate out of the driving lane and into the overtaking lane.

I actually took a look through the rules of the road and couldn't find anything referring to this situation. Can you give me a page number or something so i can look it up please? I do agree with this course of action though it sounds like the most sensible way to deal with the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

oddiot wrote: »
    Very wide hard shoulder between J17 and J19. Could this be where J18 will be constructed in the future?
    15FB9078B61740BA8BB56B0B46E26496-500.jpg

Looks like it :D

There is a bridge just west of where J18 will be, and the wide shoulder could be where the free-flow left turn slips from M18N to M6W will be.

Edit: Was the HS still wide under the bridge? Cos if it isnt then the whole 'wide median to J18 for an extra lane' could be bunk. (Unless they just drop the HS to go under the bridge)

But they don't, actually. The laws on this are extremely simple - you cannot pass on the left except in slow moving queuing traffic, or when you are turning left or the other vehicle is turning right.

There is no stated procedure for passing on the left in any other cirumstances because there are no other legal circumstances!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Quick question. Living in Dublin and driving to Tuam (well, past Tuam). Up to now, I've taken the motorway to Athlone then the Tuam road. Someone told me the motorway now goes to Claregalway. Is this right? If so, am I better off heading that way from now on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I do agree with this course of action though it sounds like the most sensible way to deal with the situation.

I am rather concerned that you will be in the blind spot on the inside if you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

MYOB wrote: »
    But they don't, actually. The laws on this are extremely simple - you cannot pass on the left except in slow moving queuing traffic, or when you are turning left or the other vehicle is turning right.

There is no stated procedure for passing on the left in any other cirumstances because there are no other legal circumstances!
    I also get up the inside as quickly as possible, holding one hand over the horn lest the moron should move left without looking. Sadly there are just too many crap, ignorant drivers in Ireland coasting along in the overtaking lane. It's very stressful to have to close in on them, then somehow attract their ignorant attention and hope they then realise that they should move left.

Almost as bad as these overtaking lane hoggers are those who move out into the overtaking lane just as you are closing in on a truck etc. in the driving lane but then they proceed to overtake you at precisely 1 mile per hour faster than you and force you to brake (or else run into the back of the lorry). If you are going to overtake, then do so without undue hesitation or delay and get back in the driving lane asap.

Murphaph, that too is one of my pet hates! Also agree with Spongebob that going up the left is dangerous but i just dont have the patience to do everything exactly by the book. Nature of the beast!

• Advertisement

I generally have full beam on coming up to the muppet , I always drive fully dimmed on a motorway anyway. I then keep full beam on while inside the muppet.

Finally I then stay left to give the muppet a final hint unless I am overtaking again ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Maybe you guys could try the (illegal) german trick of indicating as if to overtake. Just leave your right indicator on. It is conidered aggressive driving here (but 99% of motorists here KNOW they shouldn't be in the overtaking lane unless overtaking and don't do it) and carries a couple of points for doing it. I forgot to try it during my week over there.

Well I have a dark blue mondeo anyway so they normally feck off sharpish when they see the beam, at least in daylight.

If I am not in a hurry or holding anybody up I sometimes pause alongside and glare across at the muppet. Muppets never EVER make eye contact with you , surprise that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    Quick question. Living in Dublin and driving to Tuam (well, past Tuam). Up to now, I've taken the motorway to Athlone then the Tuam road. Someone told me the motorway now goes to Claregalway. Is this right? If so, am I better off heading that way from now on?

The new M6 has a junction with the N18 near the airport. so you could go to there and then Claregalway and on to Tuam.

Or you could go to Athenry and on to tuam from there
    or from Balinasloe to Mountbellew.

To be honest, I'd definitely go via the airport and Claregalway unless you were passing through in rush hour or the road was flooded and closed....

mackerski wrote: »
    No excuse - the keep left rule has been with us for a long time and it was even the subject of TV ads in the 80s. And yet I know all about the outside lane hogging you describe.

Let's see if it works.

I have just looked at the M50 traffic cameras, the left lane is white! the middle and right lanes are clear - just goes to show!

The main driving lane is the least used! :rolleyes:

Was the same on the Naas Road inbound this afternoon, middle lane clear, outer lane a bit cut up but mostly covered - inner lane a nice white blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Looks like it :D

There is a bridge just west of where J18 will be, and the wide shoulder could be where the free-flow left turn slips from M18N to M6W will be.

Edit: Was the HS still wide under the bridge? Cos if it isnt then the whole 'wide median to J18 for an extra lane' could be bunk. (Unless they just drop the HS to go under the bridge)

Yes the HS is still wide under the bridge, I also assume that this is for the left turning slips from the M17/18. The wide median then starts where the wide HS ends (at the Western end).

Just another point which I don't think has been mentioned here or in the other thread - the 2nd Athenry link road (the one over to the Derrydonnell side of the town) is not yet complete. Don't think any work has been done on it over the Christmas but I assume they will re-start work on it soon.

The left turning slip lane from the Dublin Road outbound to R446 (formally the N6) DC towards the N/M6 roundabout is coming along well. No work has been done over the Christmas but they should start again pretty soon. [Note: This slip lane is not part of the Galway-Ballinasloe PPP scheme, it's a seperate project by Galway City Council. It will make life a lot easier for people leaving the City in evening rush hour, wanting to get onto the M6].

Last night I was heading out the Dublin Road and at the Galway Clinic roundabout there was a VMS directing Dublin bound traffic onto the R446 DC towards Oranmore; rather than onto the R446 DC towards Doughiska for the M6 which was open. I found it alarming that someone who wouldn't have known any better would have taken the (possibly ungritted) R446 in icy conditions, rather than the M6 which was definitely gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does anyone know how long the car in the flood pool at monksland before the Tuam junction in Athlone has been there? Looks a nasty accident. Were there any reports of fatalities or injuries?

flazio wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the car in the flood pool at monksland before the Tuam junction in Athlone has been there? Looks a nasty accident. Were there any reports of fatalities or injuries?

When did you see that, Eastbound or westbound? I passed that way @10:30 westbound and turning off for Tuam (old N6) and saw nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

When did you see that, Eastbound or westbound? I passed that way @10:30 westbound and turning off for Tuam (old N6) and saw nothing!
    its eastbound. was wondering the same myself, its been there since stephens day im nearly sure i seen it passing that morning.
    passed it everyday this week, and there isnt much marks anywhere before it, its on its roof and wheels are all bent in, i wonder could it have been dumped?

Advertisement