Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6/4 Motorway Galway to Dublin (for discussing completed sections)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Outside Athenry it looks like they are ready to start work on the bridge structure that will carry the M6 over the Galway-Athenry railway line.

Haven't had any time to track progress on the M6 lately but hopefully I'll get a chance sometime in the next week to get out and about and have a proper look for any progress that may have been made over the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Bring Mr Camera :D

Will do!

Drove to and from Lucan yesterday (Thursday) - I think it's my first time ever driving on the M6 in daylight!

On the way home (Westbound) I noticed a light-pole at one of the junctions had been flatened by someone. Surprised a bit that there's not a crash barrier to stop people potentially having head-ons with the light poles.

Also, I previously didn't realise that the lay-bys (from the HQDC days) were still in operation. There's still signs up advertising these as parking areas. Surely signs should be up saying No Entry or Garda Only to discourage people using these.

And despite there being lay-bys, which apparently people are more than welcome to use, I saw loads of people pulled into the hard shoulder. I suspect many of these people were just doing so to make receive phone calls. I passed one on the M4 which was the only one I could say was definitely a break down (he was broken down/stuck in the fast lane with the hood of his car open)!

On the way home on the M4/M6 I was beginning to think it was a bit boring driving for so long the motorway but I soon realised how crazy I was to think that when I got onto the N6 West of Athlone. People constantly arsing in and out of side roads, getting stuck behind people doing 60kmh on a decent 100kmh stretch of road, Ballinasloe town, all the roadworks - I thought I'd never see home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

KevR wrote: »
    On the way home on the M4/M6 I was beginning to think it was a bit boring driving for so long the motorway but I soon realised how crazy I was to think that when I got onto the N6 West of Athlone. People constantly arsing in and out of side roads, getting stuck behind people doing 60kmh on a decent 100kmh stretch of road, Ballinasloe town, all the roadworks - I thought I'd never see home.

Good paragraph. I've often heard people say that motorways are boring, but I really appreciate the engineering (usually), plus, as you said, the plain sailing. Still, it's always nice to use the old road every now and then when you've got the time and the conditions are good.

• Advertisement

Yeah the old road was fine/enjoyable on the way up - very little traffic and I averaged a good speed. Was a total contrast on the way home unfortunately.

I normally very much enjoy motorway driving - I think it's the feeling that I'm always making progress that I like and it's very easy to reliably time your journey. Like you, I appreciate the engineering aswell.

I think I was just getting a bit sick of driving in general the other day - think I spent the best part of 7 and a half driving various places with only a couple of quick breaks. Thank god it was a really nice sunny day (Thursday) and not like the monsoons we had yesterday (Friday)!

Had a quick spin around earlier and got a few pictures. Was good to see them working on it on a Saturday (especially when you hear of work being very slow on some other road projects around the country).

All are from the N18
    Click for larger image
    th_P1010516.jpg th_P1010517.jpg

th_P1010518.jpg

th_P1010515.jpg

Was out around Athenry also but failed to get any pictures because the roads were busy and because there were men onsite working I couldn't just pull up at the site entrance like I normally would.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is supposed to be pretty bad I think. If it's not as bad as the forecastrs say I might be tempted to head out again in the morning for some more photos. Roads should be quieter if I go early in the morning and I doubt there will be people on the M6 site working.

It definitely seems to me that they're still on target for taking all their construction traffic off local roads and have them using the mainline by the end of April/May. Most structures seem to be progressing well and once the bridges and stuff are done they can start using the mainline for construction traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Just reading the latest contractor newsletter.
    We'll also be getting 4 signature/feature/sexy overbridges along the route which is a welcome bonus.

Feature%20Bridges.JPG_595.jpg

1. ST36 West Ballinasloe GSJ Overbridge (Mackney).
    2. ST26 Treanbaun Overbridge (New Inn).
    3. ST21 Carrowkeel GSJ Overbridge.
    4. ST1B Glennascaul GSJ Overbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those 'feature' overbridges usually look comically dated after a while (the road east out of Calais towards Belgium has them) unfortunately.

MYOB wrote: »
    Those 'feature' overbridges usually look comically dated after a while (the road east out of Calais towards Belgium has them) unfortunately.

Nothin a lick of paint wouldn't sort out...:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Nice to have a bit of variety on the route in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why google maps is still outdated? The M6 from Kinnegad to Athlone is complete for a long time now and also some sections of the M8.

I have emailed Google Maps twice asking them to update their information. On Friday they added the Cashel to Cullahill section to Google Earth (not Google Maps), but most of this, C-M, and ALL of the M6, are incorrectly shown as green roads. It's actually very important for businesses, commuting and tourism that the roads are up-to-date on Google of all things.

You can contact them here and request they update their data: http://earth.google.com/support/bin/request.py?&contact_type=data

The M6 to Athlone is at least actually present albeit as N6 - unlike my 2009 second update Garmin maps where its not there at all!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yeah find this reaaal frustrating. They just can't seem to get it right at all. Although the NRA don't really seem to have any official data source that they could use. But they must surely get a lot of messages from people pointing out the inaccuracies.

I've sent messages to Teleatlas many times too, they're the supplier for Gmaps road data for Ireland.

Some business have had to get artistic with Google Maps just to make themselves findable: http://www.rockwellcollege.ie/directions.html
    and see here: http://www.horseandjockeyhotel.com/web-content/Location.html

Didn't get a chance to go out and take some more photos this morning unfortunately. Maybe next week though.

It annoys me too that Google Maps are so out of date. What are the bets that they leave updating the maps until just before the redesignation and after the redesignation the maps will again be out of date despite having been recently updated? :eek:

Got a fair few photos today.

They're taking forever to upload. I'm on the computer in college now and I have to head out for dinner soon; there's no way they'll be finished uploading by the time I log-off.

Will upload them later at home but I'll probably lose all the upload progress I've made :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Where are they being uploaded to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

KevR wrote: »
    Didn't get a chance to go out and take some more photos this morning unfortunately. Maybe next week though.

It annoys me too that Google Maps are so out of date. What are the bets that they leave updating the maps until just before the redesignation and after the redesignation the maps will again be out of date despite having been recently updated? :eek:

Go to www.openstreetmap.org. Better anyway :D

• Advertisement

The latest Collins Comprehensive Road Atlas of Ireland (April 2009) shows all open motorways, and everything that's under construction too (bar the N18 G-C scheme). It's worth picking up as a collectors item.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comprehensive-Road-Atlas-Ireland/dp/0007312814/ref=br_lf_m_1000282643_1_5_clkmr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=books&pf_rd_p=466689133&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000282643&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0G0Y6CWF0CNZZFVYRVBP

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Furet wrote: »
    The latest Collins Comprehensive Road Atlas of Ireland (April 2009) shows all open motorways, and everything that's under construction too (bar the N18 G-C scheme). It's worth picking up as a collectors item.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comprehensive-Road-Atlas-Ireland/dp/0007312814/ref=br_lf_m_1000282643_1_5_clkmr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=books&pf_rd_p=466689133&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000282643&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0G0Y6CWF0CNZZFVYRVBP

I've browsed it today ;)

murphaph wrote: »
    Where are they being uploaded to?
    Photobucket.

Just trying to upload again now. It seems to be going faster.
    Go to www.openstreetmap.org. Better anyway :D
    Furet wrote: »

Cheers Chris & Furet!

As promised I have some pictures.

These are from near the R348 East of Athenry. Got some from down on the mainline and some from up on the embankment that the R348 will climb in order to go over the M6 on an overbridge. Click for full size image

R348 Overbridge:
    th_P1010531.jpg th_P1010532.jpg

Looking East from R348 embankment:
    th_P1010534.jpg th_P1010536.jpg

Looking West from R348 Embankment:
    th_P1010529.jpg th_P1010528.jpg

Looking East from mainline:
    th_P1010543.jpg th_P1010542.jpg

Looking East: ............. Mainline surface:
    th_P1010541.jpg th_P1010540.jpg

th_P1010537.jpg th_P1010539.jpg

More to follow...

Galway-Ballinasloe scheme.

Near the R347 South of Athenry.

Underbridge:.................Some access (not too sure what for):
    th_P1010547.jpg th_P1010546.jpg

th_P1010551.jpg th_P1010548.jpg

Machinery on mainline:
    th_P1010550.jpg th_P1010553.jpg

Looking West:
    th_P1010557.jpg th_P1010554.jpg

Looking West:................Looking East:
    th_P1010555.jpg th_P1010552.jpg

Galway-Ballinasloe scheme.

R348 underbridge West of Athenry:
    th_P1010560.jpg th_P1010561.jpg

Looking West. Notice the absence of any sort of a railway underbridge structure (behind the steel fence in these pics is the Galway-Athenry railway line):
    th_P1010562.jpg th_P1010566.jpg

All are looking East from the N6 Dual Carriageway (Doughiska terminus of the M6):
    th_P1010521.jpg th_P1010522.jpg

th_P1010520.jpg th_P1010519.jpg

A bit off topic but 2 photos of the N6 Dual Carriageway East/Southbound at Doughiska near where the M6 will terminate:
    th_P1010523.jpg th_P1010524.jpg

And a couple of photos of the N6 Quincentennial Bridge (the bridge actually has several names. I don't know which is correct but this is my preferred one) over the River Corrib in Galway. Usually if we get a hot summer me and my mates will jump off the Bridge and go swimming - didn't get good weather at all last summer; hopefully it'll be better this year. It doesn't look that high in the photos but, trust me, it seems very high when you're up there!
    th_P1010570.jpg th_P1010568.jpg

Does anyone know what building a road bridge over a railway line involves? Does it involve a closure of the line for any amount of time or can they do it without any closures?

The lack of progress on the M6 bridge over the the Galway-Athenry railway line is really annoying me. The R348 runs parallel to the railway line and it's bridge was done 6 or 7 months ago.

They have the necessary earthwork done and from what I can see they have some of the materials for the bridge structure ready and waiting on the site. I'd love to know what the hold up is.

I'm beginning to think that Irish Rail are maybe dragging their heels a bit on the issue. Wouldn't be surprised because this piece of road infrastructure will inevitably have a negative impact on their intercity and commuter passenger numbers.

Depends on the bridge type - the M4 Celbridge West interchange required a D2AP bridge built over the Maynooth line, only required overnight closures.... until it fell down on to the line during construction!

MYOB wrote: »
    until it fell down on to the line during construction!

:D

Snap KevR. I was down around Esker/Kiltulla/Athenry yesterday aswell. Didn't have much time for pics unfortunately but had a good look around.

IMAG0203.jpg_595.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg_595.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg_595.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg_595.jpg
    IMAG0207.jpg_595.jpg

Have to say the site in general is very untidy around there. Much better around Ballinasloe.
    About the railway bridges, there are 3 in total to be built and none of them have started yet. Designs still being finalised with IE.
    Consultations are still ongoing with Irish Rail for the construction of
    three railway bridges. The first of these is the ST7 Ballygaurraun Overbridge
    which will carry the new N6 over the Dublin/Galway rail line. The new road
    will pass over Graigabbey River, continuing until
    it meets with the second railway bridge, ST12
    Farranablake Overbridge, and finally the third,
    ST42 Newford Rail Overbridge, each of which
    will carry the new motorway over the Athenry/
    Limerick rail line. There is a maximum of 45
    people scheduled to be working on each railway
    bridge simultaneously; inclusive of inspectors
    and health and safety personnel.

• Advertisement

It looks like this is going to be the official version of the tie-in
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59295412&postcount=137

They have now broken through the median there on the bypass. I would imagine that it's only a matter of days until the diversion begins so they can do the tie in.

Advertisement