Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6/4 Motorway Galway to Dublin (for discussing completed sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the median will need to be filled and surfaced first, dunno if there is a need for settling before traffic goes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Will probably only be a temporary surface. Can't see them putting a proper one down only to tear it back up again when the median is re-closed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

KevR wrote: »
    Will probably only be a temporary surface. Can't see them putting a proper one down only to tear it back up again when the median is re-closed

Don't think a temp surface will cut it there with the amount of traffic that will be using it. It'll be in use for 3/4 months won't it?

Have they finished all the works on the Tuam road where they had the temp lights and the Daneshill rab? Can't see them opening the diversion until that work is complete.

The opening was started early last week, perhaps waiting for other works to finish before completing this temporary road.

I believe that the Tuam road past the eastbound LILO will be closed while a new roundabout is constructed and all traffic will be diverted onto the old Tuam road that runs parallel to it.

Oh yeah, there was a stop/go traffic light system on the bridge over the N6 on Easter Monday, the one between this new opening and the western end of the dual carriageway. dunno if that's related to the M6 works.

Also something that has been bugging me. Going west approaching the new RAB at the western end of the Athlone bypass, about 50m before the rab there's a right turn slip lane for access. Why not direct all local access around the RAB and back the 50m to left turn in instead of crossing????

• Advertisement

Also something that has been bugging me. Going west approaching the new RAB at the western end of the Athlone bypass, about 50m before the rab there's a right turn slip lane for access. Why not direct all local access around the RAB and back the 50m to left turn in instead of crossing????
    Yeah! would have made sense, but was only a temporary situation anyway - in a few days time they'll have their own dedicated access from the roundabout.

Oh yeah, there was a stop/go traffic light system on the bridge over the N6 on Easter Monday, the one between this new opening and the western end of the dual carriageway. dunno if that's related to the M6 works.
    That was part of the reconstruction of the Tuam road, why didn't they wait 'till the road was closed before doing this work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Google earth updated their shots for East Galway (long overdue) The earthworks are apparent on the Galway Balinasloe scheme.

Have to say East Galway is horrid of sprawl.

The opening was started early last week, perhaps waiting for other works to finish before completing this temporary road.

I believe that the Tuam road past the eastbound LILO will be closed while a new roundabout is constructed and all traffic will be diverted onto the old Tuam road that runs parallel to it.

Going Westbound yesterday evening there was a VMS saying the Tuam Road exit would be closed Wednesday 15th (Today).
    mysterious wrote: »
    Google earth updated their shots for East Galway (long overdue) The earthworks are apparent on the Galway Balinasloe scheme.

Have to say East Galway is horrid of sprawl.

About time! Not sure when those shots were taken but I would say at least a year ago due to the lack of any sort of underbridge at Garraun North.

Going Westbound yesterday evening there was a VMS saying the Tuam Road exit would be closed Wednesday 15th (Today).

Not sure that's correct, I think they mean that the slip road will become the mainline as part of the diversion.

The median was tarmaced this morning, but there are still no white lines on the link road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I hope not. It looks incomplete at the moment. Would say it wont be changed until next week at earliest. Work left to be done at the traffic lights, Central Mediam and as DB mentions above, the white lines on the road

I'll have a look at the sign on the way home today (if it's still there). Maybe I read it wrong but I'm almost certain that's what it said.

Could it have been that they needed to close the Tuam Road exit today to carry out some work? Rather than it meaning the diversion was coming into effect from today?

**Note to self**
    Avoid the massive pothole on the bridge (Westbound lane) in Ballinasloe town. Went into yesterday and a few times last week. It's bad enough to possibly cause damage to cars. It's difficult to avoid because the bridge is quite narrow and there are always cars coming in the opposite direction so it doesn't leave much room to avoid it.

Incidentally who would be responsible for filling in this pothole? Would it be the NRA because it's a National Primary Route (N6) or the County Council? I might get in touch with whoever has the responsibility for it.

**Note to self**
    Avoid the massive pothole on the bridge (Westbound lane) in Ballinasloe town. Went into yesterday and a few times last week. It's bad enough to possibly cause damage to cars. It's difficult to avoid because the bridge is quite narrow and there are always cars coming in the opposite direction so it doesn't leave much room to avoid it.

Thought they filled that late last week.
    Some serious problems with that bridge and nothing can be done without serious disruption. They're hoping it holds out until the motorway is finished.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Thought they filled that late last week.
    Some serious problems with that bridge and nothing can be done without serious disruption. They're hoping it holds out until the motorway is finished.
    I went into that pothole last Thursday and again yesterday. Managed to avoid it today luckily!

Re: The VMS at the Tuam Rd exit of the Athlone Bypass:

The sign was still there this evening saying Tuam Rd exit closed on Wednesday 15th (today) but from what I could see the exit was still open; but with a lot of work taking place on it.

Could be all change in the morning! Nothing on AAroadwatch that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hmm not sure what the status is on the west side of the Athlone bypass, might be worth keeping an ear on i105-107 as the DJs there have to use the road to get to work so they might be able to tell you what's what.
    In other news there appears to be work on a slip through side road on the Portumna road in Ballinasloe. I believe this will be a foot bridge only with traffic on the (by then) old N6 driving past Texoil to get to the new RAB and bridge to drive towards Eyrecourt/Portumna

flazio wrote: »
    Hmm not sure what the status is on the west side of the Athlone bypass, might be worth keeping an ear on i105-107 as the DJs there have to use the road to get to work so they might be able to tell you what's what.
    In other news there appears to be work on a slip through side road on the Portumna road in Ballinasloe. I believe this will be a foot bridge only with traffic on the (by then) old N6 driving past Texoil to get to the new RAB and bridge to drive towards Eyrecourt/Portumna

If it's this evening/tonight you mean then that was just council workers. No connection to motorway works.

On Athlone Bypass, the junction sign before the Tuam exit going Westbound had the straight ahead bit covered over today. Eastbound Tuam exit sign was not covered at all this evening but I'm sure it will be done shortly - they might just remove the Eastbound one altogether though.

Possibly an indication that the diversion will start over the weekend or on Monday?

They seem to be working long hours during the week on both M6 schemes from what I can see. On the Galway-Ballinasloe they're working Saturdays also, not sure about Ballinasloe-Athlone. Weather has been decent so far this year, hopefully we'll get a lot more of it during the summer.

On Athlone Bypass, the junction sign before the Tuam exit going Westbound had the straight ahead bit covered over today. Eastbound Tuam exit sign was not covered at all this evening but I'm sure it will be done shortly - they might just remove the Eastbound one altogether though.

Possibly an indication that the diversion will start over the weekend or on Monday? .
    All Eastbound traffic would have to turn right at the Summerhill roundabout anyway so won't pass that sign, as you say it'll probably be removed.

All Eastbound traffic would have to turn left at the Summerhill roundabout anyway so won't pass that sign, as you say it'll probably be removed.

Don't you meant turn right?:confused:

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Don't you meant turn right?:confused:
    Yes :o

well according to penalty points.ie failure to turn left is 1 point rising to 3 on conviction by a beak.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Here's how the M6 is looking on the latest Collins Road Atlas:

DSCF1392.jpg

Makes it even more frustrating that Google Maps and Yahoo Maps are so out of date when printed maps are more up to date.

Indeed. Collins are superb. Better than our own poor OS office I dare say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I'm glad they only have the relevant toll sections in red, I was thinking they'd be tempted just to mark the whole thing as a toll route so as not to confuse tourists. But this system is far better I think.

Nothing left to chance. Here's how they show Nenagh:

Nenagh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

haha thats good

They certainly seem to be the best updated, is Crusheen - Gort on there?

www.openstreetmap.org is easily the best of the online mapping things for the motorways, not so much for roads inbetween cos they're not mapped yet. The cities are now as good if not better than the other mapping.

Edit; Actually Collins are looking good - if you check it out, the motorway M7 under construction is marked in blue, but the N6 Athlone - Ballinasloe under construction is in RED, maybe as it hasnt been redesignated yet. If so, they're on the ball.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'm glad they only have the relevant toll sections in red, I was thinking they'd be tempted just to mark the whole thing as a toll route so as not to confuse tourists. But this system is far better I think.

but the Athone to Ballinasloe is a free section, only west of BSLoe to Galway is tolled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

but the Athone to Ballinasloe is a free section, only west of BSLoe to Galway is tolled
    The section from Athlone to B'sloe is marked red because it's not clear it will be a motorway yet as the redesignation hasn't gone through. Blunt Guy is refering to the thin red 'central reserve' shown on the M4/M6 toll section. A lot of maps (including the AA) fcuk this up on the M1 motorway and show much larger stretches as being under toll than are in reality. This Collins map really does look to be the most accurate I've seen. Might get one.

Advertisement