Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6/4 Motorway Galway to Dublin (for discussing completed sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I've posted more images from the Collins atlas on the general M8 thread over on the Infrastructure forum.

It has ommitted the N18 G-C scheme, and it has marked all of the Dublin to Waterford interurban as a motorway; this is technically wrong at the moment, but it will almost certainly be a motorway when tranche 2 of the redesignations go through.

See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comprehensive-Road-Atlas-Ireland/dp/0007312814/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

I picked it up as a general atlas, but also as a collectors item.

www.openstreetmap.org is easily the best of the online mapping things for the motorways, not so much for roads inbetween cos they're not mapped yet. The cities are now as good if not better than the other mapping.

Hm. It looks like one of the builders of the M8 M-F scheme is a contributor to openstreetmap: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.2461&lon=-8.2554&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF

Is it possible for the openstreetmappers here to indicate a toll section similarly to how Collins have done it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Looks to me like someones been experimenting with mapping or has been taking a gawk off overbridges :D

You can add the word 'Toll' to a particular node in OSM, but I dont think theres a specific way for a marked toll road, unless you split the road and call the road "M8 (Toll)". Horrifying as that is, it might be the only way to make it visible.

KevR wrote: »
    On Athlone Bypass, Eastbound Tuam exit sign was not covered at all this evening but I'm sure it will be done shortly - they might just remove the Eastbound one altogether though.

Possibly an indication that the diversion will start over the weekend or on Monday?

That sign was removed this afternoon, lot of activity there this evening as I passed by, may indicate that the change will happen tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

That sign was removed this afternoon, lot of activity there this evening as I passed by, may indicate that the change will happen tonight.

No change to traffic flow this morning but still a lot of activity. It must be fairly imminent..

Also, yesterday when I passed over the Athlone-Ballinasloe M6 on the N6 overbridge (which is still not fully open btw) they were laying another layer of surface on the M6. I only caught a glimpse of it as I passed; traffic was heavy and there was nowhere to safely pull in.

I know this has probably been posted elsewhere but how many layers go on? And when does the concrete barrier usually get installed - is it before or after the final layer?

• Advertisement

From AA Roadwatch:
    *N6/WESTMEATH* A temporary diversion will be in place later today on the N6 Dublin/ Galway Rd, for 1.5kms just west of Athlone near Summerhil, from 7pm until 21st June (approx). This diversion will affect traffic in both directions; delays should be expected on the N6 and also in the surrounding area.

Westmeath? :D

Won't have to take the diversion on the way home from work this evening because it's only starting at 7pm but will have to take it in the morning.

June 21st approx? Surely once the diversion is finished, the Athlone-Ballinasloe motorway will have to be open. Can't see how the diversion could no longer be in place and the motorway not open once they start the tie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Westmeath? :D

I live nearby and always put my postal address as Westmeath. Majority of Athlonians support Westmeath GAA team and Roscommon Coco dont give a badgers about us.

I live nearby and always put my postal address as Westmeath. Majority of Athlonians support Westmeath GAA team and Roscommon Coco dont give a badgers about us.

That new roundabout on the Eastern side of Ballinasloe has the County Galway crest on its signs. Roscommon doesn't even exist as far as the contractors and AA Roadwatch are concerned haha.

The NRA has Start County and End County as Roscommon though on their website for the Athlone-Ballinasloe scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So is the road closed yet? I assume the reason no one is answering is because they are stuck in jams.

Heard on 2FM that it will be (was) changed at 7PM, a change made the other week was done bang on time.

• Advertisement

Heard on 2FM that it will be (was) changed at 7PM, a change made the other week was done bang on time.

Well ill be the first to bring the news...

Road closed. The diversion (signposted Ballydangan) is in place. I just drove down it for the crack. Lots of joggers, walkers and yes, motorists using it!

No closure of the R362 from Monksland RAB to the Dublin slip Road (although the slip itselt if shut)

If were lucky (unlikely) they will keep it like this till M6 opens. Traffic will hopefully flow ok. Well see

Is that in both directions? as in eastbound traffic is now using the crossover

What does everyone make of the 21st June approximate end time for the diversion?

What does everyone make of the 21st June approximate end time for the diversion?

Probably the duration of the temporary works order, extendable if needed.
    The end date is just a legal technicallity.

No real problems with the diversion this morning. Added only a couple of minutes to my journey at 08:30 this morning which is more than acceptable. Hopefully it will be the same in the evening.

Is that in both directions? as in eastbound traffic is now using the crossover

Yes both directions. Just used it this morning.

Traffic pretty busy but god can you imagine what it would have been like if wed been stuck using Roscommon Exit/Slip :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I suppose it mean's the full dual carriageway will be open then??? unless eastbound traffic will cross the N6 on the R362 and enter the existing on ramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Take it with the usual Frank-Fahey-is-spouting, but he says in the Galway independant that Ballinasloe - Athlone may be open by July. Cant find the link online.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Take it with the usual Frank-Fahey-is-spouting, but he says in the Galway independant that Ballinasloe - Athlone may be open by July. Cant find the link online.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/new-n6-could-be-open-for-races-%11-fahey-/

Excellent. It's essential the redesignations go through asap now.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    Excellent. It's essential the redesignations go through asap now.
    The Athlone-Ballinsloe is signposted as M6 already. What would happen if the redesignation hasn't gone through by the time it opens? Would they have to change the signs? The thoughts of it opening under a 100kmh speed limit sicken me.

Also, I noticed Motorway Maintenence Crews on the N6 Athlone Bypass these last couple of days. Surely it should be a Dual All Purpose Crew doing the maintenece?!

The closer it gets to the Athlone-Ballinasloe opening and the more I drive on the Athlone Bypass, the more I think it would be criminal not to have it redesignated as motorway.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it would be great (especially for me personally!) if Athlone Ballinasloe opened in July. I'm no expert but I suspect that they are in the process of laying the final surface. That's just what it looks like to me from the glimpses I got when passing although I could be wrong. I have my camera in the glove compartment of my car but I haven't had time to stop to take a few pictures at all this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Also, I noticed Motorway Maintenence Crews on the N6 Athlone Bypass these last couple of days. Surely it should be a Dual All Purpose Crew doing the maintenance?!

aka the Mysterious Tractor Boys :cool:

I would think it will be open in time for the Galway races , mind you it ends in a ditch by the Suck for the next year or so .

Edit: Forgot to mention, it would be great (especially for me personally!) if Athlone Ballinasloe opened in July. I'm no expert but I suspect that they are in the process of laying the final surface. That's just what it looks like to me from the glimpses I got when passing although I could be wrong. I have my camera in the glove compartment of my car but I haven't had time to stop to take a few pictures at all this week.

If the concrete barrier is already in place, and, if they are laying another layer of asphalt, then it is the final surface. If this is the case, it could open before July.

If the concrete barrier is already in place, and, if they are laying another layer of asphalt, then it is the final surface. If this is the case, it could open before July.

The bit I saw didn't have the barrier in place so it mustn't be the final surface yet. Damn.

Do they have to wait any amount of time (to let it settle) after laying the second to last layer of surface before they can do the barrier or can they start immediately?

Also, at what rate can they lay the barrier (in terms of km/day)? I'm sure you mentioned all this somewhere before but I can't find the post(s).

The bit I saw didn't have the barrier in place so it mustn't be the final surface yet. Damn.

Do they have to wait any amount of time (to let it settle) after laying the second to last layer of surface before they can do the barrier or can they start immediately?

Also, at what rate can they lay the barrier (in terms of km/day)? I'm sure you mentioned all this somewhere before but I can't find the post(s).

No settling period is required. The barrier could be layed the very next day. I have seen two different laying machines being used on the M-F scheme. One of these was quite slow; I'd say (and these are guesstimates) that it hardly managed 600m per day. But the other one seemed to manage over 1km per day. The barrier is pretty slow work. Asphalt laying is a very quick process however from what I've seen, so this makes up for it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

From what I saw the last time I looked (about 3 weeks ago) the concrete barrier was only done at the overbridges.

Good news that parts of the concrete barrier are in. They might have some more done since 3 weeks ago aswell.

The Athlone bypass tie-in is likely to be the very last section to be completed, a lot of work to be done here!

Passing on the N6 overbridge this morning I saw them filling in the gap between the two M6 carriageways with what looked like either sand or cement. I couldn't see exactly what it was because it was a distance from me and I also had to concentrate on traffic around me.

I presume this is in preparation for the concrete barrier.

Also, no real delays so far with the diversion at the western end of the Athlone Bypass. One thing I did notice the last couple of evenings going West through it was that a fair few people were using the wrong lane on the first roundabout. It's usually the left lane for second exit/straight ahead + in this case the arrows painted on the road leading up to the RAB confirm this so I can't understand why so many seem to be using the right hand lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Passing on the N6 overbridge this morning I saw them filling in the gap between the two M6 carriageways with what looked like either sand or cement. I couldn't see exactly what it was because it was a distance from me and I also had to concentrate on traffic around me.

I presume this is in preparation for the concrete barrier.

Also, no real delays so far with the diversion at the western end of the Athlone Bypass. One thing I did notice the last couple of evenings going West through it was that a fair few people were using the wrong lane on the first roundabout. It's usually the left lane for second exit/straight ahead + in this case the arrows painted on the road leading up to the RAB confirm this so I can't understand why so many seem to be using the right hand lane.
    but the more that do this the less are in the left hand lane, so let them off I say ;)!!

Advertisement