Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance Continuous Cover

Options
  • 26-12-2008 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I have a policy with Hibernian Health (Vivas) for the last number of years.

I may go travelling next year and I called Hibernian to enquire about my options while I am away. The customer service person was trying to explain something to me along the lines that if was out of the country for more than 6 months then my cover would be gone and I would have to start a new policy when I came back and would be excluded from claiming for a set period of time.

I don't really know what she meant and the more she tried to explain it the more confused I got.

Is their some disadvantage in breaking your cover?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

If you have to start a new policy you might get caught not being able to claim for pre-existing conditions, even if they were covered on your old policy. Also, for some cover you have to be paying for a set period of time so you would have to begin that time all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

PH4T wrote: »
    I have a policy with Hibernian Health (Vivas) for the last number of years.

I may go travelling next year and I called Hibernian to enquire about my options while I am away. The customer service person was trying to explain something to me along the lines that if was out of the country for more than 6 months then my cover would be gone and I would have to start a new policy when I came back and would be excluded from claiming for a set period of time.

I don't really know what she meant and the more she tried to explain it the more confused I got.

Is their some disadvantage in breaking your cover?

They are right. To have domestic health insurance, one needs to be resident in Ireland for at least 180 days per calender year.

Switch to VHI Global before you go away and for the duration of your stay abroad. When you come back switch to domestic plan with VHI. VHI will recognise the Global policy and you won't have to re-serve waiting periods. Then and only then do you switch to Quinn or Hibernian who will recognise the cover with VHI and then no re-serving of waiting periods !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

broker2008 wrote: »
    They are right. To have domestic health insurance, one needs to be resident in Ireland for at least 180 days per calender year.

Interesting, is that actually in the small print?? IMO if it is, it is unsustainable, under EU law. Even though Irish health insurance is for Irish medical facilities it cannot be a requirement that you stay in Ireland for a particular period of time. After all you are entitled to work /reside in any EU Member State, so, if you (like me) sell yourself as a consultant you may well work in many EU countries during a period, say a year, but wish to have medical cover in your 'home' country.

Switch to VHI Global before you go away and for the duration of your stay abroad. When you come back switch to domestic plan with VHI. VHI will recognise the Global policy and you won't have to re-serve waiting periods. Then and only then do you switch to Quinn or Hibernian who will recognise the cover with VHI and then no re-serving of waiting periods !;)

Sounds like a VHI advert....;). There are similar global offers for wordwide cover by BUPA et al and I'm sure that if you argued with Hibernian they'd rather not lose your business.

I suggest you buy travel insurance and keep paying Hibernian.

Personally I am with Quinn, formerly BUPA, I have cover for 'overseas treatment' for up to 90 days a year, which fits me nicely, doesn't Hibernian have that?

Bye, Barry

Advertisement