Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

check disc/system restore not working??

• 26-12-2008 4:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

hi there - a complete non tech here, let me just start with that as you may need to speak slowly :D

my toshiba laptop runs vista - and earlier today it was fine. then turned it back on there and got a pop up to say that the file or directory c/program files was corrupted and to run the check disc facility. i follow the steps, but it tells me the facility can't be run while the disc is in use and to schedule it for the next time i restart. i do this but nowt happens. when i uncheck this box to just find the errors the disc check starts but only gets to about less than a third completed and then STOPS? :eek:

I tried to do a system restore but it says that I can't - and that I need to run the check disc facility first - so I'm back to square one! :confused:

if anyone out there can help please let me know - this is all far too bloody technical for me :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi,

I only use Win XP but I am familiar with the check/scandisk feature. Just try to schedule the disk-check on restart again and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then I think you may just have to reformat/reinstall the operating system. If you can still access your personal files, then store them on a portable disk.

I am currently having the exact same problem as you but with a portable hard-disk only. I have put-off reformatting it but I will have to do it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

You could boot directly from the vista disk and run the repair option, if this fails boot back to the recovery option and choose 'command prompt" from the list of options.

Enter the below command and hit enter

chkdsk /r

Symptoms like this are sometimes caused by a bad hard drive, in which case it would need to be replaced.

Advertisement