Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should turkey be allowed join the EU

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Nope. Anyway, you still have the "enlargement changes the EU" aspect. It just doesn't have much effect on our weight in Europe as such, because the Council doesn't actually vote much - about 20% of the time, in fact, and usually only when some government wants to be able to be seen to oppose a policy for their home audience. It usually operates by consensus - and that might be harder to achieve with a culturally, geographically, and strategically different country at the table.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I am anti Turkey joining - so are the Germans. Can the Germans keep them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

CDfm wrote: »

They won't be allowed in until there is a consensus that they should be. At the moment, I don't see any such consensus. I think there's relatively little appetite for Turkey around the table at the moment.

seasonally,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I think there's relatively little appetite for Turkey around the table at the moment.

seasonally,
    Scofflaw

not even in a curry -ugh:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

RichMc70 wrote: »
    And we'll all speak one communal language, follow one religion, have one minimum wage and live happily ever after.

Dream on.

The evolution of civilisation is a continuing process that has been happening since man first became sentient. The human race is facing an entirely new situation not faced since the dawn of agriculture. In the lifetime of the generation being born now the earth will reach carrying capacity of humans. There will not be enough surplus resources to expand the human population any farther. This is fact and is not open to debate.

For that reason I believe that this century will either see a paradigm shift in human society which relies less on exploitation of resources for exponential growth and focuses more upon sustainability and maintaining prosperity. Or else we continue to grow exponentially until we run out resulting in never ending resource wars which will consume even more of the planets diminishing resources possibly leading to the destruction of advanced civilisation.

Now I don't know how things will play out but I have a preference for a future closer to the former than the latter.

sink wrote: »
    The evolution of civilisation is a continuing process that has been happening since man first became sentient.

Now I don't know how things will play out but I have a preference for a future closer to the former than the latter.

maybe the EU should move its headquarters from brussels to Dublin.

90% of our civil servants could go to work there and the other 10% could talk to them.

Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

CDfm wrote: »

If the Germans - or any one nation - were steadfast on denying entry to Turkey, then yes. Consensus is one of the Principals that enlargement is subject to.

As an example, look at FYR Macedonia. There's no good reason for them not to join the EU - apart from Greece's historical (- hysterical? :p) objection to their use of the name Macedonia (slightly over simplified summary of situation). Just as Greece can keep Macedonia out for a name, Germany or any one nation can keep Turkey out for any reason they want, justified or not.

In my opinion, however, Greece and Cyprus are fated to be trotted out if any formal blocking manoeuvre were ever needed on Turkey(which is unlikely to be needed). Their objection can be as simple as the existence of the Turkish controlled territories in Cyprus. Greece also has very little to lose, especially given its stance on Macedonia. Germany, for all its bluster, is a hostage to it's recent past in Yugoslavia, their dramatic undermining of the EPC and thier pet project in having Croatia join the EU ASAP. Quite simply, it is vulnerable to horse-trading on that issue.

Germany vunerable over the Balkans... err....it would probably be poor taste to continue that train of thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

a resounding YES.

a resounding YES.

for what reason and what are the advantages to us in ireland and to the EU

Advertisement