Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke v Man Utd Match Thread...

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

lol way to drag up something over twenty years old! pathetic...

well what's the time line?

last week?

last year?

two years ago?

when people talk about liverpool been a great team they forget it was over twenty years ago

time lines only seem to suit people when the topic suits them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ntlbell wrote: »
    christ all mighty....

people were watching the match they seen the dirty tackle he made they doin't need a full roll call of all his fouls they were watching the match but didn't bother giving out about it just moaning about rooney and ronaldo like if i type it in capitals will it help?

right just so i know for next time, i am only allowed to talk about a foul when it wasnt by a high profile player (or does this just refer to united players or Rooney/Ronaldo in particular) and only if the ref has punished the player? is that right?

make sense, sure why have a match discussion thread at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

right just so i know for next time, i am only allowed to talk about a foul when it wasnt by a high profile player (or does this just refer to united players or Rooney/Ronaldo in particular) and only if the ref has punished the player? is that right?

make sense, sure why have a match discussion thread at all...

no....

if you're going to whine about a player been dirty don't forget to mention other players putting horrific tackles and been dirty regardless of been high profile or not

it's called been fair....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

i didn't see the match today thought it wasn't on till 5 for some reason so slept through it:o

but if what i'm reading here is true i think..i don't know what to think its just so frustrating rooney and ronaldo have been acting the maggots lately.. As a united fan i find it very annoying and also very disrepectful if this was a once off and it happened they got away with it grand, they should then have learnt that they were lucky to escape punishment.. but no the two of them keep at it,i loved rooney up until this season and i am slowly disliking him the two of them are immature selfish thugs, the team is clearly struggling and their way of dealing with it is to start kicking out and giving sly elbows is just so frustrating..
    I don't know im just ranting cause im pissed off, to be honest i hope ferguson deals with them privately seen as this isn't a once off and if he doesn't i'd be a bit dissapointed in the sense that he's leavign them get away with it.they're letting the rest of the team down, i can guarantee next time one of them do it they'll be sent off cause people are noticing and starting to talk about it.and i'm sure which ever one of them it is will have a big bemused head on them like why was i sent off??Well the answer to that would be cause you're an immature thug!!.

my rant is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Important win, and who gets the goal? The same lad who did it so many times last season, Tony Montana.

Disappointing performance though

VDS was tested so many times and was solid as a rock today, thank f*ck.
    Vidic was brilliant as well, he really had to up his game. That Fuller chap was dangerous.
    Ronaldo was absolutely shocking, he really does not look dangerous lately. He was a liability at times today. More petulance from him too.
    Rooney is a nutjob child. "Aggression" is great, but if he keeps getting himself booked, and will eventually get himself sent off, then he's damaging the team. Just like that Stoke player who got the second yellow. He allowed himself to be wound up by Ronaldo, and then committed a stupid foul which possibly cost his team the game.
    Having said that, Rooney played well overall.
    Great to see Scholes getting 90 minutes in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

no i don't find that hard to understand they should have been off bad reffing inconsistent as USUAL and if i mention in other cases from other teams where it's happened this year i'll be accused of trolling...

what people are saying is how dirty and childish rooney are with no mention of the horrific tackle from wilkinson is that hard for you to understand?

All bad behaviour should be punished - whoever is the culprit.

Sadly, however, more and more common is what I like to think of as Inter syndrome. Big clubs and particularly big name players, getting away with doing as they like. A few days ago it was a celebration of Terry getting what has been coming to him for ever. But when Rooney should have been ejected last week, and again this week you try to justify his sins by saying others offended.

There's a cold wind coming, Man Utd and Liverpool and Chelsea fans. Soon there will be sufficient outcry from the "smaller" (read: less favoured) clubs for the benefit of doubt to work against you. Look at the situation in Italy, where Juventus were favoured for years. Now the tide has turned and they can't get a penalty awarded in their favour unless the player is shot dead in the box. This will be your club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

no....

if you're going to whine about a player been dirty don't forget to mention other players putting horrific tackles and been dirty regardless of been high profile or not

it's called been fair....

In fairness most of the people were whining about the fact that their transgressions went unpunished. The ones whining about them being dirty seem to mostly be Man Utd fans.

You're really arguing this down to as fine a point as possible but I personally (and I think some others may be the same) started posting in this thread because R & R escaped punishment, not because they committed fouls.

Your point = Stoke were dirty
    Our point = The ref was quite lenient on Utd's stars

You're perfectly entitled to complain about unfair play by the Stoke team but don't try and pass it off as though we're making the same point or everyone else is being ABU and hyprocitical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

but he hasn't done anything wrong?

anytime he's been given the ball in a tight space he's found a pass and he's defending from the front as usual....

not much you can do when 3 defenders come to you every single time..

I didnt say Tevez did anything wrong. I said he was ineffective. You seemed to think i was having a go at Carlos, i said when he starts games he is less effective than when he comes on raring to go.

I also said i wanted to see more from him, he scored, im happy. Tevez is one of my favourite players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

lol

it's funny a liverpool fan defending their fans with their rep getting banned from europe for been dirty thugs and trying to defend their equitte with how and when they deliver they're anti-x team songs...

seriously....

been to rome lately?

you are nowhere near as good as boggles. dont know how u won that award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Stick to the game or I'm lockin this thread. Take the Liverpool/United bollox elsewhere. It's infesting every bloody thread nearly and people are getting sick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Stick to the game or I'm lockin this thread. Take the Liverpool/United bollox elsewhere. It's infesting every bloody thread nearly and people are getting sick of it.

Well do something about it and start banning people for a week or 48 hours etc. If someone from Liverpool comes on calling United fans small time or some rubbish and doesn't get banned for trolling then what does it take.

Although I ain't sure if trolling is a ban-able offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

RasTa wrote: »
    Well do something about it and start banning people for a week or 48 hours etc. If someone from Liverpool comes on calling United fans small time or some rubbish and doesn't get banned for trolling then what does it take.

Although I ain't sure if trolling is a ban-able offense.

Blatant trolling is against the charter, as is back seat modding so if you're going to question myself or the others then do it by PM rather than derailing the thread further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dave! wrote: »
    Important win, and who gets the goal? The same lad who did it so many times last season, Tony Montana.

lol Brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Teams have been trying to kick united and other top teams off the park for years, it's nothing new really. I thought the ref lost control of the game big time today, fuller was blessed to stay on the pitch, he absolutely did john o'shea at one point and it had been coming for 5 minutes, he was looking to hurt someone.

Ronaldo shouldn't have kicked out like that it was petulant but he was getting destroyed and no protection, frustration is understandable but he would have been off if the ref had seen it, he needs to try and stay in control but it's hard for any player.

All in all, a well earned win in a nasty game. Stoke probably think they deserved a point but I think you need to play football to earn points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I thought it was a tough game, with some strong tackles, but I didn't think there were really many deliberately bad tackles. Just a tough game of football imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just caught the higlights there. United were fortunate to get the three points. Stoke are a difficult team to play at home, very physical approach, remind me of Bolton.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I nearly shouted the house down when that goal went in, such was the tension I felt. That was a very tough 3 points to take. Getting away from the "petulence" debate for a while (Jesus, I hate that word) I thought Giggs was woeful today. His passing was way off, and I didn't see him beat a player with the ball once. He improved dramatically at full-back, most notably the cross-field ball to Rooney, which was some consolation. Scholes was very good, can't say much more on that. Ronaldo, while generally disappointing, did brilliantly in winding up the Stoke defence to eventually bring about the red card. He knew he'd get somebody sent off, and eventually it happened.

Some great stuff out of Van Der Saar, and some nice moments from Vidic, and the introduction of Berbatov seemed to spook Stoke a little bit. A massively important late goal from Tevez, his celebration tells the whole story of this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Although yesterday performance was far from ideal, And there where way to many players under-performing and playing badly , The result was great and the matter in which we went about it (OK sending off helped) was incouraging . It was nice to see the real never say die attitude coming back into the team . Now I fully expect us to kick into gear very soon and even put a few teams to the sword. but it will be results and attitudes like yesterday than will decide if we have a successful season or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You can't understate how well United did yesterday to get 3 points, it is virtually impossible to break down a team like Stoke when they are in that mood.

Another assist for the smoking Bulgarian, games like yesterday is the reason he was bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Boggles wrote: »
    Another assist for the smoking Bulgarian, games like yesterday is the reason he was bought.

I still cant take to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Boggles wrote: »
    You can't understate how well United did yesterday to get 3 points, it is virtually impossible to break down a team like Stoke when they are in that mood.

exactly! i think his touch to take it away from the defender was immaculate! hope he starts comin into his own now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Trilla wrote: »
    I still cant take to him.

2nd that

for all his quality he doesnt bust a gut to get into the box thats for sure

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Berba won us that game yesterday. It's tough to take, and it's annoying to say as he is a lazy **** at times but he chose the ezact moment to bust into the box and cross that ball! It's taken time to get used to him, i liked him but didn't understand the lack of effort - now i view it more as he just takes his time! I think from now on he'll get better and better, winning more games for us. Keep him, Scholes and Carrick fit for the rest of the season and we have a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Berbatov is a great player for these kind of games. His touch and guile makes him infuriating to the kind of hard man antics that teams like Stoke would utilise. These are the kind of teams which a player like Tevez is limited. He may be a warrior but when put up against 2 or 3 physically formidable players, even he will be bullied off the ball. Rooney is a much better player on the ball but has nowhere near the same kind of close control that Berbatov has. However, Tevez is fantastic is great against teams such as Arsenal, where they play their best football when given time and space to spread the ball around. Tevez applies the kind of pressure that really gets under the skins of those kind teams (plus he does have a nice habit of popping up with important goals). Berbatov is frustrating to watch but the thing about him is that when you get the ball to his feet, he is capable of producing the kind of magic tricks which can unlock the most formidable of defenses.

Advertisement