Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to cork

Options
  • 26-12-2008 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Dear Friends,

I have got a job in Cork, Irland. I am planning to move next month. Could any one reply to my following questions?

How much is a primary school fee as an overseas student per month?

How much is a kindergarden school fee per month?

How much cost is 2 bed room flat unfurnished per month?

How much cost is utilitiy bill approximately (water, electricity, gas,) per month?

How much cost is fooding per month?

How much cost is transportation?

Thanking you in an advance

Kind regards,

Syed

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Check out www.daft.ie for the price of renting houses in Cork , you will find there are a lot more furnished than unfurnished houses on the market. Primary school is free ( unless you snd the kids to a private school)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Primary schools are free except for books, uniform etc.
    Kindergarten doesn't exist, theres preschool etc but mostly private and you pay for it.Things are expensive here so be warned, electricity, gas etc are not cheap, nor is phone. BUt still, not that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Where in cork are you moving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Primary school is free in most but not all cases - it may depend on your (the parent's) legal status. As you have a job you will be paying PRSI (this is similar to US Social Security or UK National Insurance) contributions. These payments fund health and education services. Therefore primary school should be free in your case too. If you are an EU citizen it is probably free in any case.

Petrol and diesel are approximately €0.95 per litre at the moment - not the cheapest in Europe, not the most expensive either. Public transport in many areas is limited.

I'd expect to pay €800-€1200 for a 2-bedroom flat in Cork City, depending on location and facilities. Outside the city, residences tend to be larger and slightly cheaper. As bertie1 said, unfurnished is unusual.

A lot depends on where you will be living and working in Cork.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moving Company

You should try Nat Ross Oman Moving & Storage for transfer of your household effects, try graham.beazley@oman.ie or have a look at www.oman.ie to get a no obligation quote

Very professional company with offices in Cork, Limerick, Dublin and Belfast. Weekly service from and to the UK and Europe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

You should try Nat Ross Oman Moving & Storage for transfer of your household effects, try graham.beazley@oman.ie or have a look at www.oman.ie to get a no obligation quote

Very professional company with offices in Cork, Limerick, Dublin and Belfast. Weekly service from and to the UK and Europe

Why thanks anonymous stranger:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Holy god, when was Nat Ross taken over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 syed_102

Dear Friends

Thank you very much for nice information. Indeed, it was very usuful.

Kind Regards,

Syed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glasheenschool

Syed,
    Congratulations on your new job and welcome to Cork. Rents have decreased in the area in the past few months. There are many rental properties available.
    You haven't said what part of the city you will be working in or intend living. This is the first thing you need to establish.
    In terms of education for your children, most primary schools (4 - 12 YEARS OLD CHILDREN) are state funded. The majority of Pre-schools (2 and a half - 4 years) are privately run and there is normally a charge. It all depends on the pre-school.
    If you have not already arrived and/or made arrangements, you may be interested in contacting Glasheen School, which is in the western suburbs of Cork City but within easy walking distance of the City centre. There is also a very good range of rental properties in the area. The school provides English language teaching to all children arriving from overseas and there is a pre-school on the school grounds also. If you wish to consult our website at www.glasheenboys.com or telephone us at 021-4544750, if we can be of any advice or help.
    Good luck with your arrival in Cork.
    Glasheen School.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I just spotted this now. Good luck with your move to good old Cork. There is a post in the Education section about good schools near UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I love the whole peddling your wares on this thread by posters with only 1 post!!! class!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I wanted to clarify something, having read your recent contribution. I would agree that businesses/profit-making organisations peddling their wares would be a bit rich. In this case, a school made a contribution, where there was good advice offered.
    I am not associated with any school now but through my work, I was involved with several schools in that area over the past number of years. I have to say that from my dealings with that school, they were always more than helpful to me, with no hidden agenda. It's a very popular school with a very good reputation, so I doubt that they need to peddle their wares.
    I felt I needed to clarify that as your point was a very good one but not fair in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

syed_102 wrote: »
    Dear Friends

Thank you very much for nice information. Indeed, it was very usuful.

Kind Regards,

Syed

I hope your not the Syed , from lost , otherwise we will have Benjamin Linus and the rest of those crazy misfits following you trying to get you back to the island. Hey why the hell would you want to live in Ireland in the first place anyway the Island is a way nicer and warmer too. Plus the dharma initiative left plenty of grub and beer there , the rent was zero also. That Benjamin must have been some langer to say your giving up all that for cork. Anyway the best of luck!

Advertisement