Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been thinking about getting health insurance

Options
  • 26-12-2008 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have been thinking about getting myself health insurance. Im 26 and i never get sick, so i never thought about insurance before - who does?

So anyway a few weeks ago i developed a rash. My doctor mentioned what it could be but without going for tests and what not. Im not sure if this was a proper diagnoses without tests because most of the time the diagnoses is done by a visual inspection, but there are tests to be done. What iv got isn't to bad now but its very unpredicable in that it can get worse. If it gets worse, im screwed cause i wont be able to afford treatment.

I dont know the first thing about insurance but with my dogs insurance, it wont cover for any pre existing conditions. Would it be the same with people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Yep, won't cover pre-existing but you could be in a bit of a grey area as you don't have a diagnosis (your Doc suspects something but its not diagnosed??) so you might be covered. I suppose it would be up to you to mention on your application form that your Doc suspects this....................dunno if the Doctors have to fill out any forms about your general health.

TBH, its a good idea to have health insurance anyway. It will save you waiting months for a public service. Also, in some cases you need to have a few years cover before you qualify for some stuff, i.e. maternity. That might have changed now, but it used to be the way with VHI many years ago when I first started with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

For people taking out health insurance for the first time with Quinn, Hibernian or VHI there are waiting periods:

see here: http://tinyurl.com/73wrha

If less than 55, you will be covered for an accident or injury immediately, new conditions: 26 weeks and pre-existing condition: 5 years.

Maybe sign up for health insurance now at least to start the clock ticking. Go have the condition diagnosed and if there is a waiting period with a health insurer, try the public health system.

Unfortunately, this is really when people see the benefit of health insurance when something happens that requires medical attention and may be looked after in a private capacity quicker (not necessarily better). Good luck.

Advertisement