Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband grangerath Drogheda co Louth

• 26-12-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi all,

I've just moved to the above area and found out that there is no broadband available. I've tried DSL (eircom have a temp exchange setup with a new one built but don't know when they'll transfer lines, been this way for 2 years) all the mobile broadband, 3 vodafone o2, no signal and all the wireless providers have been to my house but they're are trees and other house blocking the way. There are about 800/900 houses that have this problem. Eircom provided broadband to about 25/30 houses and some cangwt wireless due to living on a hill.

This area was only built 2 yrs ago. Surely this is going backwards where broadband is not readily available. And why are eircom not doing anything. A recession and they're is almost 1000 customers wanting a product???

Anybody any thoughts or alternatives?

Cheers,

Neil

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

once you have waited 1 year for a line you should complain to comreg forthwith because eircom have a full year to supply that line from application . Do not complain about BB at this point, that will follow the line install.

all your affected neighbours should complain too

subject : 'Breach of USO obligations , non compliance with reasonable request for service' to info@comreg.ie state date of application andlack of acknowlegment in writing by eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The grange rath exchange was enabled over a year ago I believe. Tommy Byrne TD made a big deal of it at the time of his election campaign I saw. I've also seen the line stats of a connection in Grange Rath and they were very good, attenuation of less than 10 dB.

Now, I went on to the eircom phonebook website, did a search for John in "Grangerath" (Most entries for grange rath are spelt differently) and put in the numbers into the eircom line checker and the BT 24 mbit checker to see what exchange they were on. Some very odd results:

Only about half of the lines passed. Those that did, passed completely.

All numbers checked within Grange Rath (whether 9818xxx or 983xxxx or 984xxxx or (9870xxx to 9875xxx) were listed by the BT checker as being connected to the Colpe Cross exchange.

Most but not all of the 9818 numbers passed. None of the ex-Drogheda lines which were transferred over to the colpe cross exchange passed.

One line on the Colpe road itself which is still connected to the Patrick St. exchange came up as an amber line, due to the distance from the exchange.

The best thing to do is to ask an eircom linesman why you can't get broadband in Grange Rath even though you're connected to the new exchange. I'll do that myself if I bump into one but god knows when that will happen.

Or else complain to eircom about how only some of the lines in Grange Rath pass and how you can't get it, and they may inform you as to what's going on. Writing a letter to the CEO can often get things moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I think the exchange is full in Grangerath, hence no-one else can get DSL until the new exchange is built.

That would explain the test results. If they've already changed lines over to the temporary exchange, then it should just be a case of installing the exchange equipment. It's not often that eircom have to open a full exchange building so they'd probably have to order in the gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 meilrichardquin

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I have sent an email to comreg and will let u know what happens.
    Regarding the amount of broadband places my girlfriends dad works for eircom he says there were about 25 spaces allocated to broadband.

I may also get in touch with tommy byrne to see what he says.

Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you guys want DSL the best way to get it is to ensure that a WISP gets into the estate , eg Net1 or Digiweb . eircom get the finger out fairly fast when that happens .

Comreg will tell you they "don't regulate broadband" (a lie btw), but you'll see proper action taken or at least an update if you nag eircom and especially the CEO or chairman or whathaveyou with a letter.

Digiweb FWA (not metro) is in the area, but so many people subscribed to it before DSL came along that the service was woeful. As we know 3.5GHz spectrum is very limited so you can imagine how it works in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Digiweb homewave wireless is available in Grangerath, no need for a phoneline.

http://digiweb.ie/home/homewave/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 wildeanwit

Digiweb do provide a service, but it is dependant upon your exact location of the house.
    The best they do is the 1mb, so no gaming possibility.

BT, afraid not - entirely dependant upon Eircom having ports available, and then nickin them!

Just checked Irish Broadband - not in the area

Rang perlico - they use vodafone usb connections - so can't use it for gaming.

TD is constantly onto Eircom... no net result.

My neighbour has digi - but its a ****ty 1mb speed, and may not be available.

Ice is the ONLY one that thinks they may be able to do it and they have ****e customer care!

Com reg can't do anything because "Broadband is not an entitlement"

Rang Dept of Communications - can't do anything

Rang Competition Authority - same old...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

3 years ago we offered to cable up every house in the estate
    It was rejected by the residents group as they did not want "ugly" cables going from house to house. It is not practical to have 400 wireless CPE's pointing at one base station - or even 5 base stations - It simply would not work bandwidth wise.
    We are willing to re look at a solution to anyone in the estate who is not able to get BB
    PM Us

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been on to comreg and they got on to eircom who contacted me to inform me, as is stated above, that they do not have to supply broadband and that it would not be in the first quarter of 2009. The tone of the lady who rangme was disgraceful. I felt like she was pissed at me and that I had squealed ok them to comreg. Even when the broadband is activated by eircom there's is no way I will be using them as a provider.

Net1 thank u for your reply. I would be interested in your services but feel your higher package is too expensive compared to the other 2. Would u be willing to look at your pricing especially in light of the recent credit crunch. €89 + vat is too high.

Also how long does installation take and what are the prices.

Thanks neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 harysman

Hi, I live in Park Heights.
    I have a same problem, no suitable line for broadband. Wireless service is not available also. Digiweb & Ice can’t get signal. I heard that new exchange will be installed September 2009. It is long time.
    In present only option is mobile broadband. For my house only option is Vodafone with poor signal.
    There is no signal for other networks. Problem is, that you need Vodafone broadband stick for every computer in household. I found a solution from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk. They have interesting product- Billion wireless modem router with USB port and 3G support. Other words you just plug Vodafone broadband stick in to router and you have wireless signal to all your household computers.
    I installed router in attic, there is better signal for Vodafone as well. Router price €70 - €120, Vodafone stick is free, 3 first month €15 after €30. Speed is not fantastic (because of weak signal) 600-1200 kbps, but it is better than nothing.

all goes live on the 31/03.

neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 worktop

misslt wrote: »
    Digiweb homewave wireless is available in Grangerath, no need for a phoneline.

http://digiweb.ie/home/homewave/

jesus what ever u do dont get degiweb im right beside them and there service is crap espically in the evening times i dont even get 1 fifth of what im paying for ans im sick off ringing them all i get is congestion

Advertisement