Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Thomas sale?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the Brown Thomas sale is on?

John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Starts tomorrow AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Thanks Sean K. Must count out my remaining cash!
    They had some nice shirts I had my eye on last eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone ever notice that Brown Thomas sales take prices down to normal prices (i.e. same as other shops?) :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Anyone ever notice that Brown Thomas sales take prices down to normal prices (i.e. same as other shops?) :)

No

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

No, they're still more expensive.....internet sales are your friend;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I've got me some christmas vouchers to spend so I'll be hitting here tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thieving Todds...... selling overpriced crap to overindulged idiots.

- The place is full of orange faced shíte pedaling girls on the inside and is a eyesore tenement from the outside.

A blight, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Raiser wrote: »
    Thieving Todds.....

Showing your age......

I dont shop in Brown Thomas exactly. I do go into Brown Thomas and find out what fits me and then buy it on the t'inernet.

Only this evening I bought 4 quiksilver t-shirts for €32. The exchange rate on Ebay is your friend people!! Buy while you can!!

Yeah, I dont like the Orange patrol in Brown Thomas. They look bad and smell bad and most only work there to say they work there and have the badge. My mother used to be a manager in BT and in the interviews most girls would say that its cool to work in BT.

BTW, red makeup on your cheeks makes you look like your husbands/boyfriends/sugar daddy is slapping you around. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Give me a good site there for clothes shopping online.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Give me a good site there for clothes shopping online.

www.asos.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

http://www.ebay.ie

and bring some patience with you much like the amount of patience you would need to shop in TK Maxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭The_Dave

Berty wrote: »

and bring some patience with you much like the amount of patience you would need to shop in TK Maxx.
    Difference is you don't get elbowed out of the way on t'internet

Berty wrote: »

Cheers, never heard of this place. Seems interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

tippman1 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Brown Thomas sale is on?

John.
    It doesn't matter... it's still over - priced and the cloths are still rotten.

Raiser wrote: »
    Thieving Todds...... selling overpriced crap to overindulged idiots.

- The place is full of orange faced shíte pedaling girls on the inside and is a eyesore tenement from the outside.

A blight, simple as.
    Also golf/rugby playing pink wearing clowns who think paying 200 euro for a shirt must mean that "oh my gawd, I am so going to get action from the lady's tonight in bentley/clohessys"...

I absolutley hate the place. except for the women workin there...

TheLoc wrote: »
    It doesn't matter... it's still over - priced and the cloths are still rotten.
    ninty9er wrote: »

Terrible site. was just on it and the jeans are £80 at least. useless.

try www.ae.com. Nice and cheap. very reliable too.

And for those who are going to complain about multi-quoting or me posting too much on this page... Don't be a loser. I apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

TheLoc wrote: »
    Terrible site. was just on it and the jeans are £80 at least. useless.

try www.ae.com. Nice and cheap. very reliable too.

And for those who are going to complain about multi-quoting or me posting too much on this page... Don't be a loser. I apologies.

FFS the loc, use the multi-quote and stop giving away my clothes websites!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ninnyninball

I think the Brown Thomas sale is amazing 50% off a load of deisgner brands....I've checked the internet prices and Brown Thomas where cheaper. I am not orange and I'm not rich either, I do like my shoes however and got some BT vouchers for Christmas and it was well worth the trip...granted the girls that work there arent the frendliest but who cares if your getting a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Whats with the hostility towards Brown Thomas? Do certain people have a grudge because they can't afford to shop there because that is what it SOUNDS like anyway!

RonMexico wrote: »
    Whats with the hostility towards Brown Thomas? Do certain people have a grudge because they can't afford to shop there because that is what it SOUNDS like anyway!

No I have a grudge against the place because it charges unrealistic prices for what is just clothing. If it were the brand it charged for I could understand it, but international experience puts paid to that argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

No I have a grudge against the place because it charges unrealistic prices for what is just clothing. If it were the brand it charged for I could understand it, but international experience puts paid to that argument.

Could be a first, but +1 from me for what ninty9er said.

BT is representative of the worst of what the Celtic Tiger gave us; X-pose-watching, pretentious, materialistic idiots who want to be seen to wear designer* stuff, regardless of the price of it or how bad it is.

* P.S. I even have an issue with the common misuse of this word, because surely EVERY piece of clothing is designed ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    * P.S. I even have an issue with the common misuse of this word, because surely EVERY piece of clothing is designed ?
    The nature of language is that words develop contextual meanings.

I think the Brown Thomas sale is amazing 50% off a load of deisgner brands....I've checked the internet prices and Brown Thomas where cheaper. I am not orange and I'm not rich either, I do like my shoes however and got some BT vouchers for Christmas and it was well worth the trip...granted the girls that work there arent the frendliest but who cares if your getting a good deal.
    RonMexico wrote: »

Here, Here. Brown Thomas Sale is very good value. You get top quality clothes (they are far better stitched than the usual River Island, J&J crap) at reasonable prices. I bought a good bit there the other day. A nice pair of leather shoes for under €40, and a few other bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I dont understand why people are complaining about BT.

They sell clothes from the top international brands at prices that reflect that brand. Its the same everywhere around the world. There are people who buy these clothes and who are able to afford them and like them so let them off.

I find the clothes in there too expensive so i dont buy them as i cant afford them.
    That doesnt make me hold a grudge against the store and all the people who can afford the clothes in there.

Get a grip people.

People like to spend their money on different things. The thing is it's their money and they can spend it how they want. Some people spend their money on cars, some spend it on drugs and some spend it on high quality clothes from big name designers. I often buy things like shoes, jackets etc from there as these are items I want to get a good life span from and want them to at least stand out a little from the Jack and Jones masses. There is no crime in this, and I have found in the past a good quality pair of shoes will end up saving you money in the long run as if you look after them they will hold their look for longer.

Brown Thomas/Todds have been in Limerick for years so there is obviously a sustainable market for their wares. Get over it.

You have a grudge against a shop?

You need to get out more. Or actually maybe stay in more if your going to get so easily offended.

I have an issue with their clothes prices, not much else really, they have some reasonable giftware, but their Waterford and stuff is a helluvalot more expensive than the same piece costs in Shaws.

My mam swears by their bed linen, but a friend who works there told me some brands have stopped supplying BT as they can sell the clothes cheaper and their brand isn't being tarnished. It may have been Diesel (proper Diesel not the stuff on Bedford Row). I'll ask him next time I see him.

Stitching etc....clothes are disposable, I don't keep clothes more than 2-3 years.

Anyhow what makes a Hilfiger polo worth €50 in the 50% off sale in BT when it can be got in an outlet in the US for $20 with 20% off.

People like to spend their money on different things, granted, but it would be cheaper to buy an Aer Lingus return ticket to Boston if you were doing a decent amount of clothes shopping that it would be to go into BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

I know I'm from Dublin but I assume the sale ends at the same time in both branches. Anyone know when it finishes?

I have an issue with their clothes prices, not much else really, they have some reasonable giftware, but their Waterford and stuff is a helluvalot more expensive than the same piece costs in Shaws.

My mam swears by their bed linen, but a friend who works there told me some brands have stopped supplying BT as they can sell the clothes cheaper and their brand isn't being tarnished. It may have been Diesel (proper Diesel not the stuff on Bedford Row). I'll ask him next time I see him.

Stitching etc....clothes are disposable, I don't keep clothes more than 2-3 years.

Anyhow what makes a Hilfiger polo worth €50 in the 50% off sale in BT when it can be got in an outlet in the US for $20 with 20% off.

People like to spend their money on different things, granted, but it would be cheaper to buy an Aer Lingus return ticket to Boston if you were doing a decent amount of clothes shopping that it would be to go into BT.

To be honest I'd rather spend the extra few euro and support the local Limerick economy. Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Each to thier own but FWIW...

As part of my job I have to occasionally wear a suit and look "smart and professional". I think it's stupid but there is still that corporate mindset. I went into BT and bought a Hugo Boss suit last year. It wasn't cheap but it looks the business - it's made from a very high quality material, is very well made and fits very well. It's also an elegant and fairly timeless design. The last time I bought a big name suit was in London where i bought a YSL suit and I was able to wear it for 8 or 9 years (I still have it in teh back of the wardrobe in fact and it's almost 12 years old!). On the assumption that the Boss suit lasts 6 or 7 years before going "shiny" on the knees it's the equivalent of paying less than a tenner a month. I've bought suits from the likes of Next in the past, worn them for a couple of years and they lose their shape, wear and need to be replaced. In teh long run it costs more to buy the cheaper clothes.

Same applies to casual clothing - better quality clothing will cost more but will last more wears. Now if you are into fashion and feel the need to have a new shirt and pair of trousers every time you go out then it makes no sense to buy designer gear. If you are stylish and buy well though I don't see why you wouldn't want decent quality clothes.

I don't buy clothes online - it's a bit more hassle than it's worth - but I have never had an issue with BT sales staff. I've been in buying presents for herself and had shop staff bend over backwards to help.

Advertisement