Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlock in cold tap! How do i fix it?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

The mains water was switched off by workmen after a pipe burst down the street from me.
    After it was switched back on, i only have water in the cold tap in the kitchen, ive no water at all in the bathroom cold tap.
    How do i fix this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

you need to check the cold water tank in your attic, check that the ballcock is down....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The cold water tap in the kitchen is usually the only one that comes directly off the mains. All others generally feed from a cold water tank in the attic. If you ran water from any tap other than the kitchen one when the mains was off, then the tank would empty. So eventually you would have no cold or hot water in your bathroom. As the pipes would also empty, that's when you can get an airlock (or a blockage as sludge from the tank bottom is drawn into the pipes.

First thing to check is see if the ball valve in the attic tank is dropped and letting the tank fill. If it isn't, waggle it up and down a few times to free it. If that's OK then try connecting the cold tap in the kitchen to the hot tap with a piece of hose or something, fully open the hot tap and then open the cold tap about one turn. Then in the attic put your thumb over then end of the open vent pipe over the tank -- that's normally a 22 mm copper pipe with an open end. Doing that should push any air or debris back into the tank and clear the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Il be up in the attic tomorrow, thanks lads

Advertisement