Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you spend New Years Eve with your OH?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Ok so after reading the thread "Do you spend Christmas Day with your OH" I decided to ask how many of you spend New Years Eve with your OH?

This is my 3rd year with my boyfriend, the last 2 New Years we have celebrated together so I didnt think this year would be any different until the other day when I found out his brother has asked him to go and spend New Years with him and his girlfriend in Dublin. Im disappointed that he is thinking about going, or maybe im just being selfish for wanting him to be with me.

So anyway how many of you will be spending New Years Eve with your partner or will you be spending it apart?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

yes will be spending it with him, usually do. I dont get that excited about new years though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Ok so after reading the thread "Do you spend Christmas Day with your OH" I decided to ask how many of you spend New Years Eve with your OH?

This is my 3rd year with my boyfriend, the last 2 New Years we have celebrated together so I didnt think this year would be any different until the other day when I found out his brother has asked him to go and spend New Years with him and his girlfriend in Dublin. Im disappointed that he is thinking about going, or maybe im just being selfish for wanting him to be with me.

So anyway how many of you will be spending New Years Eve with your partner or will you be spending it apart?

Were you not invited to Dublin as well? That's sort of shady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭girloperfection

PillyPen wrote: »

Nope just him invited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Bit lousy they didn't invite you too?

New Years Eve is a big deal for me, we're definitely ringing it in together, wouldn't feel right without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

definately be with my princess. Cant wait. Couldnt care about it been new years just love spending time with her. God that sounds so cheesy lol.
    Buy a tiny mini skirt and show it to your boyfriend. Ask him do ya look good in it and when he says yes just tell him nice one, you plan on wearing it new years eve. He he

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

No my boyf is working New Years Eve night :( No one to ring the New Year in with 'cept the dogs :(

Alicat wrote: »
    No my boyf is working New Years Eve night :( No one to ring the New Year in with 'cept the dogs :(

Aww I'd pick being with my doggies over spending it with lots of drunken eejits. Maybe he can ring you and ye can count it down together over the phone?

seanybiker wrote: »
    Buy a tiny mini skirt and show it to your boyfriend. Ask him do ya look good in it and when he says yes just tell him nice one, you plan on wearing it new years eve. He he

Ha. Sage advice here. Worth a try, anyway.

Why didn't they invite you? I'd be hurt by that, unless there were some crazy circumstances. Anyway, I don't have an OH but my family's coming to visit from the States and we're going to London. I'm more excited to see them than anything, but London should be fun, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Hey, whats wrong with Dublin for New Years!

Sabotage wrote: »
    Hey, whats wrong with Dublin for New Years!

Are you asking me? Nothing! I would have preferred to stay here tbh. London will probably be insane and none of us knows how to get around there. At least in Dublin I know my way around all right. But my mom didn't think there'd be enough here to keep my younger brothers entertained for a week. :rolleyes: It's fine, though. My brothers haven't ever left the States so now they'll be able to go to two countries instead of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

its very weird they didnt invite you down too imo, i thought it was kinda an obligatory thing that ya spent new years with your OH - midnight kiss and all that jazz!
    unless theyre working or some such but even if ya dont make a big deal of new years its still nice to be with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Aww I'd pick being with my doggies over spending it with lots of drunken eejits. Maybe he can ring you and ye can count it down together over the phone?

Maybe, but his job requires him to 'guard'(!)the streets of Dublin so he might be fairly busy ! :(

I just hope next year we can spend it together. Last year he got sick all of a sudden and couldn't make it up to me, and I couldn't drive, so we missed that one together :( Year before that he was out of the country :( and the year before that we werent going out!

But the dogs and Jools Holland should help keep my mind of it I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Spending this New Year with my fella. Only been together a few months but really looking forward to it to be honest. I usually hate New Year's Eve and spend it on my own - just hate the going into town/crowd/Auld Langer Sign song *as I call it* just makes me cringe.

But this year - it's a small party at my best mate's place and my fella and his best mate is coming too with his gf cos poor ol' dote felt a bit outnumbered by my girlie crew *understandably - we're a bit mad when we get together to be frank (nothing mad - just have our own language and laugh at silly in jokes*

As for you OP, I agree with some of the other posters here - a little rude for you not to have been invited in my mind. But I hope you have a great night regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Spending this new years with herself. Only been going out for a few months but really looking forward to it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

spending it at home with the hubbie and kids.. only time i liked going out at new years eve was when i was late teens out with big gang of ladies, everyone having new years eve snogs everywhere :D

so mine is quite nice now.. family, parents brothers and their OH's..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Have only spent our first New Years apart - we normally go to my parents. The thought of not kissing him at midnight would make me really sad! I suppose that I consider him part of my future so I like the year to start off with one resolution kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

We were togather last year for New Years cos we wer at a party of a mutual friend, I've no plans for this year though, no idea if he does either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Yes, definately spending it together. He was working Christmas Eve and Christmas day, so I have New Years with him at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Am indeed. We're just going to the pub with lots of mates, then a house party. I have to go out for new year's - stayed in once with an ex and it was horribly dull. Clock struck midnight and it was "eh... happy new year..." :)
    Alicat wrote: »
    Any mates you could go out with?
    PillyPen wrote: »
    Clare Bear wrote: »
    Bit lousy they didn't invite you too?
    Azureus wrote: »
    its very weird they didnt invite you down too imo, i thought it was kinda an obligatory thing that ya spent new years with your OH - midnight kiss and all that jazz!
    lilminx wrote: »
    As for you OP, I agree with some of the other posters here - a little rude for you not to have been invited in my mind.
    It's disappointing for the OP certainly, but I don't understand... why should the guy's brother and his girlfriend feel obliged to invite her?

Why shouldn't they though? If it was just his brother I'd say fair enough but it's his brother and his girlfriend. I'm sure they know most couples would like to spend New Year's Eve together unless it was just a family only thing but it isn't. I'd feel pretty left out of I was the OP to be honest.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    It's disappointing for the OP certainly, but I don't understand... why should the guy's brother and his girlfriend feel obliged to invite her?

I think primarily reason for inviting the OH would be so that the OP's brother wouldn't be put into the position of having to choose to spend his NYE with his brother or his girlfriend. It seems sort of inconsiderate to put that on someone, imo. Also, if someone has been dating someone else for several years and they always spend NYE together, it's nice to acknowledge that. It's sort of disrespectful to their relationship not to.

One time I invited my bff somewhere for NYE. She had a boyfriend I fecking despised. Like being around him made me feel violent because he was such a tosser. Still, I invited him, too, because I cared more about how she would feel if I didn't invite him than how much he annoyed me.

It is unusual, sure, but not necessarily unreasonable. There is no onus on anyone to invite a person's significant other just because they're... that person's significant other.

It is unusual, sure, but not necessarily unreasonable. There is no onus on anyone to invite a person's significant other just because they're... that person's significant other.

Right, but nobody said that. It's more to avoid putting someone you care about (the one with an OH you're not inviting) into a difficult position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Odd you werent invited alright.
    Id start planning something else asap. Buy yourself a fabulous dress and go dancing with your friends.

What you would do, and what I would do at 12 are probably two different things.. Thats not advice, of course. But Id question why he didnt realise he didnt think you would bat an eye lid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I personally think it's a little odd that they didn't even invite the OP. It's not like they've only been dating a couple of months, they've been together a few years, meaning the familys are most likely well aware of the fact they're a couple.
    I wouldn't invite my sister out with me and my boyfriend and not invite her bf (whether I liked him or not). Why would you invite someone to be a potential third wheel? I would automatically invite a couple, rather than invite one half.

New Years means nothing to me so I've never been bothered, and never really had anyone for new years. I do this year but he's down the country at home with family and friends, and that's fine by my book.

star-pants wrote: »
    I would automatically invite a couple, rather than invite one half.
    But that's a phenomenon I don't understand. It seems to be that people are defined as part of a couple far too much rather than as individuals.

I'm not trying to be confrontational and I do understand the OP's disappointment but this is something people don't seem to question. If my mate was going out with a guy whom I couldn't stand, I wouldn't invite him. Why should you feel obliged to spend time with someone you detest just because they're going out with your friend?

But that's a phenomenon I don't understand. It seems to be that people are defined as part of a couple far too much rather than as individuals.

I'm not trying to be confrontational and I do understand the OP's disappointment but this is something people don't seem to question. If my mate was going out with a guy whom I couldn't stand, I wouldn't invite him. Why should you feel obliged to spend time with someone you detest just because they're going out with your friend?

I understand what you mean - why invite someone you don't really have any personal ties to. I would give the option, let my friend/sister/whomever decide if they wanted their other half to come along, but I would always give them the choice, I wouldn't just invite them alone.
    Reason why I would put up with someone I don't like? because I would care enough for my friend/family member to do so. I've put up with bfs of friends that I've really really disliked, because there are times when it's unfair to make your friend choose you or their OH for the sake of a few hours especially when there'll be more than yourselves there.

Sorry, I genuinely don't see the logic. What choosing does the friend have to do if it's merely a case of spending time with other friends without her boyfriend?

If New Year's means something to someone, I wouldn't invite a friend who's in a relationship out with me and my bf on her own. I don't see the point in that. ''Here come be the third wheel''
    If it was just me I might ask my friend on her own, cuz then neither of us would have our other halves. Would you invite your mother out with you and your boyfriend but not your dad too?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I didn't realise you were referring to New Year's specifically, I thought you meant in general. :)
    Yeah, it's weird of the OP's boyfriend's brother all right.

Advertisement