Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor massive price increases

• 26-12-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Realised recently that the cost of text messages from a meteor prepaid from has increased from 9 to 12 cent. The cost of an international text has increased from 15 cent to an incredible 25....and my girlfriend is based on the continent....a 10 cent increase for a miserly text message is robbery under the cloak of legality...and without any notice...Meteor never contacted me by any medium...I realised about two weeks ago that my credit was lasting an unusualy short time...I contacted meteor and they informed me that they had increased their prices. How can they justify this?..In fact I really feel like complaining the company.

Could anyone direct me to a Skype handset?

Hope all enjoyed Christmas
    A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

That is sly. They have also changed the prices on their legacy tariffs.

That is a 30% increase in text message prices and a 75% increase in international texts.

The best value plan for prepay for most users is now Tesco Mobile. I think I will move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

This is what the Meteor T&Cs say:
    We reserve the right to vary Charges at our discretion. In the event that Charges are varied we will post notification of such changes on our web site, in-store and/or notify you via SMS or by post. You may therefore not receive notification if we have no contact details for you.

Meteor reserves the rights at all times to migrate customers to other Tariff Plans, to amend or vary the terms and conditions of a Promotion or to withdraw or terminate a Promotion, generally in whole or part, at any time from any Customer (upon reasonable notice/30 days notice). For the latest terms and conditions of a Promotion, please visit www.meteor.ie.

Doesn't look as if they've made a reasonable effort to inform their customers of price increases though.

Any idea when these price changes took effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks for link to 3..I'll certainly investigate.

The increase..just looking at my records...took affect on the 8th December..they don't appear to have made any effort to contact me..or anyone else..therefore denying us the option of seeking alternative service.

How on earth can they justify a 3 and 10 cent price increase for a meagre text message.?.has the cost of provision increased that much.?..all in a depressionary time when consumers will have less disposable income...???Unbelievable...I feel aggrieved because it's clearly a selfish and underhand attempt to take advantage of customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Move network. It is easy now that porting can happen where you keep the 085 XXXXXXX and operate under Vodafone, o2, 3 or Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PatAlpha

Thats outrageous. How can they justify that. I will be leaving as soon as my credit is gone. Vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

I used to be with Meteor but changed to the 3 network a year ago because of their good deals on mobile internet access.
    Been happy since with their phone network and am on their lowest contract rate (19 euro a month) which gives me internet access, free minutes and text messages plus Skype and MSN Messenger.
    Have never looked back at Meteor or Vodafone who I used to be with before I joined the 3 network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

PatAlpha wrote: »
    Thats outrageous. How can they justify that. I will be leaving as soon as my credit is gone. Vote with your feet.

I top up by €20 a month and get free calls and texts to meteor. I now have over €90 credit because of the free stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

I thought that when you left a network you could take your credit with you as well as your number????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I thought that when you left a network you could take your credit with you as well as your number????

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Meteor were doing a deal recently that you could choose free meteor calls and texts for life or free texts for life.

I bought two sims and took both. Spend sfa.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aren't Meteor owned by eircom? It's not like people don't know what you get when you deal with that crowd. God knows they've been at it for years.

Meteor were doing a deal recently that you could choose free meteor calls and texts for life or free texts for life.

I bought two sims and took both. Spend sfa.

But dont you have to top up by €20 per month to get these offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

But dont you have to top up by €20 per month to get these offers

Yes, but then again what is €20 per month?

If you don't go through 20 quids credit a month then surely you don't use the phone all that often in the first place so the price increases shouldnt hugely effect you at all :pac:

I'm with meteor, after stints of post pay with both them and O2 I found that meteor pre pay is the best value for me.

I top up by €20 and get free calls to 1 number through phone a friend and free meteor to meteor texts - most if not all of my friends are on meteor for the same reason so I very rarely get charged for texts at all. The €20 itself usually lasts the 30 days before I have to top up again to renew the freebies.

Nice little cycle!

:rolleyes:
    :confused::confused::confused: is this true or not. Thinking of buying a more up to date phone with a better camera could you recommend one with good deals. I am an o2 prepay customer: can I take my credit with me if I move to another supplier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Vikings wrote: »

If you don't go through 20 quids credit a month then surely you don't use the phone all that often in the first place so the price increases shouldnt hugely effect you at all :pac:
    I used to go through about 15 a month, suited me fine, had about a fiver left to use on WAP, now go through 30 a month due to everyone I know having ****ing voicemail that uses up 9 cent just to connect to, and paying 30% extra for texts to people off meteor. It's the principle of the thing, 30% for texts is a big chunk extra, and I'd prefer to spend my money on calls, not minimum connection charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

When I'm in front of a computer for any length of time (I work with computers btw), I usually have my webtext account logged in. If anyone texts me I use web texts to reply or if I want to get in touch with several people via sms I use webtext for that too.

The majority of my phone credit does get spent sending sms, so sending via the web makes sense when possible.

ve wrote: »
    When I'm in front of a computer for any length of time (I work with computers btw), I usually have my webtext account logged in. If anyone texts me I use web texts to reply or if I want to get in touch with several people via sms I use webtext for that too.

The majority of my phone credit does get spent sending sms, so sending via the web makes sense when possible.

:confused::confused::confused: Explain how to do this please and thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

:confused::confused::confused: is this true or not.
    It's not. You don't get to take your credit with you when you change companies.

As for your second question, if you're with a phone provider that gives customers free web texts from their website, it's free to use that. Check with your phone provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

Vikings wrote: »

I'm with meteor, after stints of post pay with both them and O2 I found that meteor pre pay is the best value for me.

I top up by €20 and get free calls to 1 number through phone a friend and free meteor to meteor texts - most if not all of my friends are on meteor for the same reason so I very rarely get charged for texts at all. The €20 itself usually lasts the 30 days before I have to top up again to renew the freebies.

Nice little cycle!

I'm on meteor billpay now but my contract finishes next month. I'll be changing back to prepay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I'm on meteor billpay now but my contract finishes next month. I'll be changing back to prepay.

Doing the same myself next month as my contract is up not signing up for another year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

ve wrote: »

Check out JSMS if you want to speed up webtext sending from your PC!

Advertisement