Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xmas radio cockups

• 26-12-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed today that there was no news at midday on 2fm. After an awkward silence the sports news came on. No explanation was given. So Professional, Not!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

During Colm & Jim jims radio programme yesterday, they had the time wrong - they said it was 11 o clock and they were on air for another hour, but it was 12 noon at that stage. Somebody must have started playing the recording for the programme an hour late!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Or maybe they don't have the mental capacity to read the clock properly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"RTÉ in technical cock-up shocker!"

I've lost count of the number of times that RTÉ radio news bulletins (particularly during the night when everything bar the newsreader is automated) are interrupted by jingles, songs, adverts, etc, and then followed by a long silence (no apology or anything). RTÉ seems a very shambolic organisation, where nobody really cares about getting things right. Have you ever watched the 6-1 News for a full hour without seeing Bryan Dobson apologising at some point for the lack of sound on a report? It's not that they're staffed by total incompetents (they can host the big live events - Eurovision, soccer internationals, etc without any technical problems) - it's just that, like almost everything else in this country, the old "ah, sure it's grand..." philosophy permeates everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jesus christ what a pointless thread. Nobody ****ing listens to the radio at Christmas so they could make fun of retarded children if they wanted and nobody would care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Beg to differ pal. Plenty of people do.

Listened to the Michael Littleton memorial lecture and found it very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Jesus christ what a pointless thread. Nobody ****ing listens to the radio at Christmas so they could make fun of retarded children if they wanted and nobody would care

Yet another from the "I don't, therefore, no one does" school of thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I noticed today that there was no news at midday on 2fm. After an awkward silence the sports news came on. No explanation was given. So Professional, Not!
    You think that's bad? Just tune in New Years Eve/Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Pointless comment, tbh. And complete shyte, Little Shyte. I don't know about anybody else, but I listen to the radio a lot more at Christmas than any other time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jesus christ what a pointless post. Nobody ****ing listens to the radio at Christmas so they could make fun of retarded children if they wanted and nobody would care

FYP.

I always listen to the radio on Christmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Banned.

Don't come into the radio forum if you don't listen to radio.... regardless of the time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You think that's bad? Just tune in New Years Eve/Day.
    What happens then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭Poochie05

RayM wrote: »
    "RTÉ in technical cock-up shocker!"

I've lost count of the number of times that RTÉ radio news bulletins (particularly during the night when everything bar the newsreader is automated) are interrupted by jingles, songs, adverts, etc, and then followed by a long silence (no apology or anything). RTÉ seems a very shambolic organisation, where nobody really cares about getting things right. Have you ever watched the 6-1 News for a full hour without seeing Bryan Dobson apologising at some point for the lack of sound on a report? It's not that they're staffed by total incompetents (they can host the big live events - Eurovision, soccer internationals, etc without any technical problems) - it's just that, like almost everything else in this country, the old "ah, sure it's grand..." philosophy permeates everything.

It's not only RTE, Newstalk is as bad during the night. You find yourself listening to some repeat and actually interested in the programme, particularly if you didn't hear it the first time around and all of a sudden they change to something else. That's the problem when you let computers run the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Bond-007 wrote: »
    What happens then?
    They turn the running of the place over to a pre-historic copy of a piece of software called 'Radioman' while they feck off to the pub and/or their families.

Wise people say I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭EmoMatt15

Poochie05 wrote: »
    It's not only RTE, Newstalk is as bad during the night. You find yourself listening to some repeat and actually interested in the programme, particularly if you didn't hear it the first time around and all of a sudden they change to something else. That's the problem when you let computers run the place!

Yeh, if the programme goes even one second over an hour, the playlist on the computer just skips to the next item in the list, and I prefered NewsTalk when they didnt have to rely on repeats to go through all the night but how and ever..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

But wasn't Newstalk just dead air before it did repeats during the night?

Oh, I see your point! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Off the ball tonight was an absolute shambles at around 7.15pm. An interview with a gay rugby ref began to crackle and slip and began playing the same five minute loop for nearly half an hour. It was comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

It's all well and good blaming computers..

Computers do what humans tell them to do!

If you hear a mess on air like the ones described in this thread it's because an employee in a station doesn't care enough to get it right, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

Big Balls wrote: »
    ...........Computers do what humans tell them to do!

Most of the time.

Corrupt audio, broken network path to NAS, problem with soundcard, faulty RAM or HDD. The list goes on.

But maybe somebody fcuked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

I dont think this would be considered a cock-up, just something funny that heppened on Xmas radio.

G Ryan was interviewing 'Santie' on the day before Xmas and all the little kiddies were ringing up saying what they would like from 'him' (with mothers totally prompting them all the way). The Santie seemed a bit old skool and definitely an older man so when some wee toddler asked (in a very muffled voice) for a Bratz Doll from him, Old Saint Nicklaus thought she asked for a Jackdaw.

Still makes me laugh. Who'd ask for a Jackdaw? And he agreed to it aswell...bet she was dissapointed

Advertisement