Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Eircom Complaint

Options
  • 26-12-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Decided to switch from Eircom to BT (start of Dec), Rang BT and said i wanna switch, they said they take care of everything (in relation top cancelling Eircom and Starting the BT) and that because December just started i would be better off waiting till the start of January to actually recieve the BT broadband as my Eircom bill ended then (so i wouldnt be paying for 2 connections) Anyways on the 16th of December my (eircom) broadband stopped working. I rang them and they said they cut me off cos i was switching to BT and that BT told them to cut me off. I asked them to reconnect me and they said only BT could do that (:confused:) rang BT and they said they didnt tell Eircom to Cut me off.After about 4phone calls to BT-Eircom-BT-Eircom i came about the idea that Eircom just cut me off to be assholes about the situation. I had paid my bill and (no exageration) spent 2 and a half hours at a stale mate with Eircom asking them to reinstate my broadband as i had paid the bill up until 28th of December and therefore entitled to the Broadband. THey said no i was not because i switched....

My question is have Eircom broken a contract or did i. I have been with Eircom 21yrs and have had eircom broadband (Same Package) for 5yrs so any 12month contract would have ended... What should i do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ring BT.

If Eircom disconnected you then it's because BT told them to, once you were disconnected then you were no longer an Eircom customer, why don't you just tell BT to connect you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Bt told me that they didnt tell Eircom to disconnect me... they told me this on the phone and we already agred that BT would disconnect the Eircom when the BT was ready to be connected. BT cant connect me cos i need there modem they "say"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ununually you may compain to comreg , you are no longer an eircom customer nor yet a BT customer but are stuck in no mans land in a procedure invented by Comreg and are therefore not obliged to follow a complaints 'procedure' from either .

info@comreg.ie

Take no sh1t from Comreg .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

I think I would ask Eircom when BT allegedly requested they cut you off. I would probably ask BT to confirm if and when they had contact with Eircom.

Then, I've make a complaint with ComReg, sending them the details.

Eircom and BT would be required to keep information (I'd guess it's some paper or electronic form they have to keep for records) and so it should be possible to determine which one is telling porky-pies.

cooperla wrote: »
    I think I would ask Eircom when BT allegedly requested they cut you off. I would probably ask BT to confirm if and when they had contact with Eircom.

Eircom and BT would be required to keep information (I'd guess it's some paper or electronic form they have to keep for records) and so it should be possible to determine which one is telling porky-pies.

Eircom said BT told them on the 16th to cancel, BT said they didnt tell Eircom to cancel, Why should they as they still hadnt sent me out my new modem and we explicitly agreed that Eircom wouldnt be cancelled until the end of Dec!!!! Think ill email Comreg, Although by the time i get a reply ill probably already have BT installed! Still tho might get half my months bill back from Eircom... Doubt it will happen tho as Eircom are C\/nts, the government are C\/nts, and BT are subbosedly C\/nts! Wish me luck;)

• Advertisement

One of them is lying, let Comreg find out which and let Comreg instruct them to compensate you in full. Tell Comreg you expect the compensation.

When both decide that you are not a customer then let the regulator regulate !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

you could have got bt to connect you even without their modem
    all you need is a user id and password and the dns servers.

Perchance did you get a user name and password for the service?
    If you did and the BT service is actually live now we can tell you how to get up and running on eircom's router, take that eircom :D

Thats true too, have you the user@btbb ( username) and the password in which case you simply put them and the OpenDns DNS settings into the Netopia router and connect to BT ....if BT is live that is .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I doubt very much that Eircom just decided to cut you off for the sake of it, there must have been some instruction from BT. Now, of course, thats not to say that Eircom didn't mess up and cut you off early either!!

My personal experience with BT was a disaster and would not touch them with a barge pole and while I have not been an Eircom customer for about 8 years I have read similiar things about them here.

As a PP said, let the regulator regulate, one of them messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As the last poster said, I doubt Eircom cut you off for the fun of it. Also, does your phone work? If so, check the operator, and see who you connect to, Eircom or BT?

• Advertisement

Yes the phone worked and always has which was strange, I found the User name and pass which BT sent, didnt know i had it so im connected to BT now on the Eircom modem!!! Happy out but i dunno why BT couldnt tell me my password and username... Still im pretty pissed off at the whole situation, Thank god i can get my neighbors wireless in here and they were happy enough to give me there password for it!!!! Ill let ye know how i get on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You sure have nice neighbours ...........
    Similar happend me .... Got cut off and had difficulty setting up with BT ...........All's ok now though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yes the phone worked and always has which was strange, I found the User name and pass which BT sent, didnt know i had it so im connected to BT now on the Eircom modem!!! Happy out but i dunno why BT couldnt tell me my password and username... Still im pretty pissed off at the whole situation, Thank god i can get my neighbors wireless in here and they were happy enough to give me there password for it!!!! Ill let ye know how i get on;)

So, in other words, you bad mouthed two companies and you just lost your username and password...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

No, you're way off. Read the thread more slowly.

So, in other words, you bad mouthed two companies and you just lost your username and password...

No READ THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭breaux

you sould change this thread name to bt complaint - typical of someone blaming the company they're leaving rather than the crowd they're going to. eircom did their job as requested. eircom switched it off which had to happen and then BT were supposed to get their part up and running. they didn't fulfil their part and you're now using BT BB with an eircom modem which means BT didn't even send out the modem to you. Where in god's name is eircom at fault here - YOU left them for god's sake......!!!!!!

breaux wrote: »
    you sould change this thread name to bt complaint - typical of someone blaming the company they're leaving rather than the crowd they're going to. eircom did their job as requested. eircom switched it off which had to happen and then BT were supposed to get their part up and running. they didn't fulfil their part and you're now using BT BB with an eircom modem which means BT didn't even send out the modem to you. Where in god's name is eircom at fault here - YOU left them for god's sake......!!!!!!

BT didnt send out the modem because i asked them not to connect me until the end of December because thats when my Eircom bill ended! The only reason im connected now is because Eircom cut me off early in which they shouldnt have done cos i had paid my bill, even if BT told them to cut me off they should have reconnected me as my bill was paid... Read the thread a little better next time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

BT didnt send out the modem because i asked them not to connect me until the end of December because thats when my Eircom bill ended! The only reason im connected now is because Eircom cut me off early in which they shouldnt have done cos i had paid my bill, even if BT told them to cut me off they should have reconnected me as my bill was paid... Read the thread a little better next time!
    They can't reconnect you because you were no longer an Eircom customer! They cut you off because BT told them to! That's the only way Eircom would have even known you moved!!!!

WTF are you complaining about Eircom for when it was clearly BT's fault!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Don't forget to get the credit owed to you back, even think of lodging a SSC claim against them, it'll cost em more to show up than not pay.

Please stop defending the indefensible, €ircon are the devils underpants.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This sounds like it's entirely BT's problem, eircom only do what BT request them to do. It's actually an automated process, there's an electronic data interchange between the two companies, it's not like some guy from BT rings up eircom and has a chat.

In my experience, BT Sales/Customer Care don't really have any control over anything. They're not very inspiring to deal with. If you ordered BT Broadband, it's likely the order's now processed and they just ignored your discussion about starting dates.

Your eircom broadband connection would die, all you need to do is reconfigure your modem with the BT settings and it should work.

Ring BT and get your username and password. They'll explain how to configure your router/modem.

Failing that, get BT to send you a modem out pre-configured. You're usually entitled to one as a new customer as part of the package.

Also, depending on what product u subscribed to, you may have a gap in service while BT connect you up! Particularly, if it's their 24mbit/s unbundled package as this requires them to physically connect your line to BT Equipment that's co-located in the eircom exchange. Their slower packages (up to 7mbit/s) BT usually just use eircom's wholesale products i.e. it's provided using eircom exchange equipment, but your data goes over the BT network. In this case, you just need a new user name and p/w and there usually isn't much of a disruption to service. Switching provider's basically just done with software at the eircom exchange, so there's no physical disruption to your line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'm afraid that's wrong, you can leave any time you want. Can you imagine all the threads we'd get here if eircom refused to cut someone off at the request of their new supplier because they'd paid their bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭deffin

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'm afraid that's wrong, you can leave any time you want. Can you imagine all the threads we'd get here if eircom refused to cut someone off at the request of their new supplier because they'd paid their bill?

Correct - the customer does not decide when he's going to leave eircom - that's decided by regulatory rules (generally 10 calendar days from date of request) so there was never any question of you going when your bill was paid up to......!!!Solair is correct in saying that this is all done on auto pilot - the disconnection occurs and reconnection by BT which should happen with little or no down time. Sounds like BT have failed you here...........!! Lets hope things improve from here for you but not what i would call a promising start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 mealone42

Stupid comment:mad:

Advertisement